The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Tex S

Boolits???

Why do all the guys in this forum refer to a bullet as a "boolit"?

Is it caster terminology?
Old August 28, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Stick_man

As defined in the Cast Boolits website (www.castboolits.gunloads.com) , "Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena, The Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption. . . Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses."

Basically, it differentiates between the jacketed projectiles and the naked ones.
Old August 29, 2009, 12:20 AM   #3
jamaica

They really are bullets! Those other guys don't know how to spell. :barf:
Old August 29, 2009, 07:55 AM   #4
GP100man

BOOLITS is alot easier to spell .
not as much hand movement on the key board.
Old August 29, 2009, 08:57 AM   #5
dahermit

Some people just think that it is cute to call them that. It has no other meaning.
Old August 29, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
snuffy

Take a look at the rules that govern this forum. Especially rule # 4;

Quote:
4) Mangling of the English language whether thru ignorance, age, sloth or intent diminishes and embarrasses each of us. Posts which are indecipherable due to inability to translate thoughts into coherent written statements will be deleted without explanation. Recidivists will be removed.
This was pointed out to me by a moderator. Since then I have refrained from using the slang term "boolits".

I do that over on cast boolits forum, sort of as a tribute to the owner of that site. It sort of transferred over here as a way to honor his contribution to cast bullet shooting.

You might want to consider the vast amount of $$$ it costs to run a forum like this. The owners don't want us to use slang words here, period. We don't have to put up with pop-up-adds on this site either.

Also, some here remember when TFL was gone for several years. It was resurrected complete with old posts, like it was never gone.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 29, 2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Stick_man

Snuffy, I am not sure that "boolits" is mangling or butchering the language, but out of respect for the site management, I will try to refrain from using that term and defer to the use of "bullets". Many "newer" words are created by special interest groups each year. I believe that since "boolits" refers specifically to cast projectiles, there could be a real argument that it is a legitimate new word in the language. One could also argue that the term "bullets" at one point was in the exact same situation as "boolits" is today as a subset of the general term of "projectile". Other similarities would be like "Pickup is to Truck" or "Truck is to Automobile". Maybe we need to have a chat (oops, Conversation) with Webster's and get the dictionary updated to more modern times.

I apologize if this post sounds at all argumentative or sarcastic. It is not meant to. I just think it would be a shame to prohibit or even limit the use of such a term now. I have probably seen the term "boolit" on at least a half-dozen other sites used by hundreds of different people.

Moderators- what say you? May we, out of respect to others that have contributed, and continue to contribute, so much to the shooting activites, embrace and use the term "boolit" and it's plural "boolits" on this site?
Old August 29, 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
jimkim

I think it might be a more Anglicized version of boulette.
Old August 29, 2009, 02:24 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I agree with Snuffy. I think from here on out we should just call them bullets. I am guilty of using the term "boolit". Technically, this term does not belong here. It belongs over on Cast Boolits. So from here on out let's get into the habit of using the word "bullet" over here. Thanks guys, and I hope you understand ( I am not trying to be a jerk!).

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 29, 2009, 02:32 PM   #10
freakshow10mm

If the mods get pissy about the use of "boolit" they can get a life.
Old August 29, 2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Edward429451

But...but...

They really are boolits! Some folks have no sense of humor or realization of new modern common usages of terms for differentiating technologies.

Texting anyone?
DSL
videography
Aint

There's lots of new terms around. Some are stupid and some serve a purpose and become acceptable through common usage. Aint is in the dictionary now.

I don't want to lead TFL down the dark road of Mordor into destruction and misuse of the ring, so if it must be then let's either set some standards or lighten up a little. If I can't say boolit no more to differentiate between my lead bullets that I cast, and the bullets that are jacketed that I swage...() then I don't want you fellers saying you cast from a mold (we all know mold grows in humidity and is an irritent to the lungs) spell it mould like it should be!

And what's with you potatoe fellers anyway? Are you trying to give us potato eaters a bad rap too. Think we need government regulation, or to just maybe lighten up a little, geez?
Old August 29, 2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Edward429451

OMG Freakshow was so much more succinct and humorous than I..
Good Show.

I needed a good laugh today
Old August 29, 2009, 04:59 PM   #13
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
Freakshow....remember the mods CAN shut this forum down. There are times in life when you just need to go with the flow, even if you don't like it, think it is wrong, or think that certain people need to lighten up. THIS is one of those times...TRUST ME ON THIS! I hope that you will cooperate, for the sake of this new forum. Thanks!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 29, 2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

In the manner of using "boolits" to describe the difference between a cast and jacketed, it isn't acceptable at this time. Don't be confused in thinking it isn't allowed to use as reference of the known site www.castboolits.gunloads.com. This is the name they go by and it's different in context.

This discussion has been hashed over and discussed with some staff members along with me being one of them. I will not disclose the yay and nay sayers because it's inmaterial. There are some slang terms used in other discussion forums. I won't deny that. However, in order to preserve Rich Lucibella's vision of the board by holding fellow members and especially Staff to a higher standard compared to other sites, we stick to the rules as stated. It's interpreted as mangling of the English language to be cute by some and in order to provide a more professional appearance we don't allow it. Now, if the term makes it into Merriam Webster's dictionary as the proper word to use as proclaimed, I will personally bring the issue up for discussion to fellow Staff members and reconsider it to be used.

The intent of not recognizing the term as spelled does not reflect TFL's opinion of other sites allowing it. In other words, we do not look down on other sites. It has nothing to do with making us look good while making other sites look like trash. It has everthing to do with taking pride in ourselves to be as professional as we can reasonably be without taking all the fun out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
If this is really how you feel even after my explanation, freakshow, then I think it would be best if you quietly move on. I have no life. I have nothing else better to do except moderate this, Gen Disc, and the Gun Show forums for all my live-long days. I eat, drink, sweat and sleep TFL. My sole reason for existence is TFL. All of my friends have handles. This is my forum. There are others like it, but this one is mine...

R. Lee Ermy would be proud...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 29, 2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Stick_man

Thank you Tuttle8 for your response. It is a very reasonable request and as such, I will try to abide by it and refrain from using the mentioned term. Please forgive me, however, if I happen to slip up and use it.

As to you not "having a life", it is good to have people as dedicated to something they believe in as much as you do. It takes a lot to run a great forum and you are doing a tremendous job. Keep up the good work.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Please forgive me, however, if I happen to slip up and use it.
I have no problems if there's occasional momentary lapse of reasoning. We all make mistakes one way are another. There's a difference between an honest mistake and belligerent actions...

Quote:
As to you not "having a life", it is good to have people as dedicated to something they believe in as much as you do. It takes a lot to run a great forum and you are doing a tremendous job. Keep up the good work.
Are you vying for brownie points?

Old August 30, 2009, 11:53 AM   #17
Stick_man

I didn't even think about brownie points when I wrote that. It was actually a legitimate comment. Too often hard work goes unrecognized.

So, is there a use for brownie points here? If so, let me know and I'll get right to work on earning them.
Old August 30, 2009, 12:16 PM   #18
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I knew your intent. Just had to poke a little fun. Thanks for the compliment, though. In all reality, the members here are the reason why the forums are so great. All we do is just manage it as needed....

Old August 30, 2009, 12:43 PM   #19
Edward429451

All of you mods do have a good sense of humor I notice!
That's pretty cool.
Old August 30, 2009, 06:22 PM   #20
bustoff

Quote:
Why do all the guys in this forum refer to a bullet as a "boolit"?

Is it caster terminology?
how was all that for a answer!!!
Old August 30, 2009, 06:27 PM   #21
SAIGAFISH

i agree with jimkim
Old September 2, 2009, 12:29 AM   #22
Tex S

Bustoff said:

Quote:
how was all that for a answer!!!
Wow! I certainly didn't think I would get that type of answer. To be quite honest, I forgot I asked the question until I saw "boolit" written somewhere a moment ago.
Old September 2, 2009, 03:13 AM   #23
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know why "boolits" got started unless it was making fun of imagined hick accents from some fictional part of the country? Maybe Li'l Abner said it that way? We have a (just barely) phonetic writing system of written English, and I don't know anyone who actually pronounces the word the way that spelling suggests? Of course, I know few people who pronounce the current Russian president's name correctly, either.

Anyway, cast lead bullets had the name before jacketed bullets were made, so I think it has dibs on the original terminology. It is jacketed bullets that should receive the new name, if there is to be one? Stuffed Jackets? Don't know what we'll do with solids, in that case?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 3, 2009, 12:33 AM   #24
snuffy

Nick, the originator of the cast boolits forum is who we honored when we were spelling it that way. He refers to jacketed bullets as "J" word bullets, or full-length-gas-check-bullets. Some references are to condom bullets too.

Maybe it was just silly or childish to spell it that way, who knows?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 3, 2009, 11:49 AM   #25
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Looking good - - -

I'm happy to see that the trend is toward the use of the proper spelling of "bullets." Occasional use of slang or dialect terms is acceptable, so long as it's clear that this is the intent.

The Handloading and Reloading and Bullet Casting foums are technically oriented areas. It is not needful that all our posts take the tone of doctoral dissertations or scientific papers. However, it is easier for newcomers and occasional visitors to accept the validity of posts in which the writer shows respect for the reader.

TFL forums are not overseen by English Composition instructors. At the same time, it's nice to give a nod toward spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.

Thanks to all those who have been working to make this new subforum a success.

Johnny