The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 15, 1999, 01:38 PM   #1
jbyrd

I have a couple of oralite 30 rd mags. How long can I leave them loaded and expect them to function when needed?
Old July 16, 1999, 03:05 AM   #2
stanmanplan

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but as a new AR owner I was curios as to how you liked your Orlite mags. I have some Ramlines that I'm not happy with.
Thanks,
Stan

------------------
"This year will go down in history. Ror the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
Adolph Hitler, 1935
Old July 16, 1999, 05:58 AM   #3
chucko

The Oralites and Thermold mags are fine magazine. Most people prefer the real USGI mags when they can get them.

As far as how long you can leave them loaded. the conventional wisdom is that its not leaving them loaded that kills the spring, its the number of compression cylces. That the number of times the spring has been compressed and released.

Of course there are people that will argue against everything I've just said.

Chuck
Old July 16, 1999, 01:49 PM   #4
DTBULL

Stanmanplan,
Orlites are very durable,light and reliable,no jamming or boltovers with these.I beleive the isreli army uses them.
DTbull
P.S. Good signature quote
Old July 17, 1999, 06:43 AM   #5
ursus

Also heard that the orlites have to be modified in order to fit in the mag well on some brands of ar-15. Might be just an urban myth. I prefer the mil spec models.