The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 23, 2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Barnacle Brad

The Nerve! Nosler 64gr Bonded Solid Base bullets

I spent a little time today researching deer loads and bullets in particular, for use in my rem 700 22-250. It seems that I hit the jack pot last year when I loaded up some 64gr Nolser Bonded Performance bullets. Over 33gr IMR 4064, I did not have to adjust POA from the 50gr Hornady's I use for varmints. It also produced a sub moa 3 shot group and the penetration on game is really good.

My partner and I took two pronghorn last year and both were pass through shots. I hit mine in the short ribs behind the shoulder. He fell dead in his tracks at 100 yds. My buddy made a vitals shot at 75 yds - down in twenty yds.

We were considering increasing the bullet weight this year, but it seems that the heavier bullets do not do well from what I have read and are designed for target or match shooting as opposed to hunting.

Read the reviews on Midway USA and you will find that people who use the Nolser Bonded Performance bullets love them. One exception I read, regards the seating process. Some guys had trouble with their seater plugs not fitting the bullet right and deforming the nose. Not the bullets fault though. I had no issues with the bullet in that regard.

I have read so many posts about the ethics of hunting with the 22 caliber that I could vomit. So please don't use this thread to go off on a tirade of righteousness, though you may feel compelled to do so. This is just a simple review of a very good bullet for killing deer and antelope in a small caliber.

I took a few pictures while cutting meat to illustrate the effective penetration. Sorry if these are gross, gory, excessive or other wise disturbing or offensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cavity 1.jpg (103.8 KB, 781 views)
File Type: jpg left s.jpg (157.1 KB, 724 views)
File Type: jpg right s.jpg (127.6 KB, 696 views)
Old June 23, 2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As I have said many times before, the last fifteen or so years of R&D in bullet design have changed the equation for using the centerfire .22s on such as antelope and deer.

Not the be-all and end-all, of course, but definitely usable.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Colt46

People been shooting deer sized game for generations using .22 lr

Right or wrong, it can be done easily and humanely if you have the skill.
I don't think a centerfire with a bullet up to the task is too far of a stretch when it comes down to it.
Old June 23, 2014, 09:34 AM   #4
AllenJ

Quote:
As I have said many times before, the last fifteen or so years of R&D in bullet design have changed the equation for using the centerfire .22s on such as antelope and deer.
+1

Bullet technology has come a long way since I started reloading 38 years ago. Cup and core bullets are still out there but for hunting bonded and monolithic are very popular. It also helps that the ammo manufactures are putting these premium bullets into their loads. I wonder what advancements they'll make over the next 15 years?
Old June 23, 2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Barnacle Brad

I am happy that bullet makers recognize the need for game specific r&d to wring the full potential out of this caliber and are willing to fill this niche.

I have .25 and .30 cal rifles I use for mid size game as well as the .22. But I like to shoot and reload and develope loads. I like the variety and can choose the tool that suits the conditions or my confidence level appropriately. My 250 is the most accurate rifle I own, with great optics. Having it available and a 'no question' confidence in it is priceless.
Old June 23, 2014, 11:36 AM   #6
amflyer

Two things I have question about:

1. the profile of that bullet looks pretty blunt...what's the ballistics look like?

2. Any problems with stabilization out of your Remington? Is is a 1:14"?
Old June 23, 2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Lucas McCain

You need to try your loads at some longer distances. Most factory 22-250's have a 1-14 twist and they have a tough time stabilizing a 55 grain bullet beyond 100 yards. That's why the 223 has a 1-12 twist so it can handle 60 grain bullets.
You wouldn't want to find this out some time, when that 17 inch goat is broadside at 250 yards.
Nothing unethical about using a 22-250 for deer sized game, but need to be aware of its limitations.
Old June 23, 2014, 12:24 PM   #8
Barnacle Brad

1) Nosler calls it a 'Protected Point' design for reliable feeding in ARs. The B.C. is 0.231.

2) My 700 has a 1:14 twist as far as I know. Stabilization not an issue with it or Stevens M200. Posted a .75" 3 shot group with one called flier, at 100yds.

Old June 24, 2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Barnacle Brad

One more pic to illustrate the pass through...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pass through.jpg (149.0 KB, 523 views)
Old June 24, 2014, 06:17 PM   #10
tahunua001

the chest cavity picture is so blurry that I really don't understand what's going on there. not a bad exit wound for a 22 though. if my AR didn't hate the heavy stuff so much I would like to try that bullet out but it doesn't so I probably wont.
Old June 24, 2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Barnacle Brad

It is a cratered spine with remnants of liquified lungs.

There is a calculator you can search for - input bullet weight, length and other parameters, it should tell you if your rifle will stabilize the bullet.

Good luck!
Old June 24, 2014, 10:39 PM   #12
603Country

My 220 will stabilize the 63 gr flat base Sierra SMP (33 gr of 4064), but not the 60 gr Partition or the 65 gr Sierra GK. The stabilization calculator says my 220 won't stabilize the 64 gr Nosler BSB, so I haven't tried it. I sure wish I could use it in that 220. I'd try the bullet if I thought I had a tiny chance of it working.

Hmmm, I should at least compare it to the 63 gr Sierra in the calculator program. And that 63 grainer is stable to at least 200 yards.

I want to shoot that bullet....
Old June 25, 2014, 01:15 AM   #13
Barnacle Brad

What is the twist rate of your 220?

The Nosler Load Data, was tested with a 1:14 if that helps.

NOTE: I used 33gr 4064 which is NOT listed in this data.
Old June 25, 2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Unlicensed Dremel

Very nice.... For awhile, Savage was making a rifle (think it may have been the LRPV or similar - a long heavy rifle), which offered both .22-250 1 in 12, AND .22-250 1 in 9. Too bad they didn't make a hunting version of that rifle. I suppose you could turn down that barrel and put on a different stock, but for that money, may as well go custom. I've long thought that a 1 in 9 twist .22-250 with proper bullets is the perfect Southern whitetail rifle, including being a beanfield rifle.

That's an impressive bullet indeed - designed just right for 12 or 14 twists, and performs well in all aspects. And still a laser to 275. Plus, with that flat point, it should do the job well even with neck shots. Thanks for the info. Jackpot indeed.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; June 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old June 25, 2014, 03:06 PM   #15
603Country

220 twist is 1 in 14. Heck, I'll buy some. I'll order them right now. I can always shoot em in the 223 if they don't work in the Swift.
Old June 25, 2014, 07:27 PM   #16
603Country

I ordered some. By golly, we'll see if they will stabilize in my Swift. I'll let ya'll know....as soon as I know.
Old June 26, 2014, 04:29 PM   #17
Barnacle Brad

Good timing! On sale at Midway USA! Good luck, I hope they work well for you!
Old June 27, 2014, 02:03 AM   #18
.300 Weatherby Mag

Brad.. Just a question about conditions.. Be honest how often does the wind blow to the point that it limits the use of the .22-250 as a viable option?
Old June 28, 2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Barnacle Brad

Your request for me to be honest perplexes me Sir.

Since the 22-250 has only been legal to hunt with in our state going on two years (the upcoming season being the second) I have limited experience or exposure to windy conditions. Last year I hunted two days with the 250. The wind was not a factor either of those days.

Could wind be a factor? I suppose. Conditions might determine one or two outcomes as far as I am concerned: wait to hunt when conditions have settled, or hunt with my .25 or .30-06.

It is ok to have a different rifle for different occasions right? I love all my rifles and therefore I make it a point to take critters with each. A one size fits all rifle does not fit my personality or needs.

Last year, out of 4 animals harvested, 3 were taken with the 25-06. Two fifty being the longest shot taken. I never stopped to consider if it was too windy for a shot.

The only time I have ever considered the wind that I can think (honestly) is shooting the 45-70 Trapdoor and Rolling Block at BPCR events. I have had more issues with the wind doing range work, than hunting.
Old June 29, 2014, 10:07 AM   #20
.300 Weatherby Mag

Brad,

I have family that lives in the same general area you are from.. From listening to their experiences and from my time visiting them... It seems that the wind is always blowing.. That reality could make it difficult to hunt with a .22-250 in that area...
Old June 29, 2014, 10:43 AM   #21
Barnacle Brad

The same general area being specifically where? Cheyenne or Casper? I am hunting the Big Horn Basin. We are subject to an occasional "blow" that last ten or less minutes with gusts to 30mph. You can see that weather coming for miles and have time to batten down the hatches. The norm is 5-10 on a "windy" day.
Quote:
Average wind speeds at the Greybull Airport (32 miles south) range from 4.1 miles per hour in January to 9.5 miles per hour in April, with an annual average of 6.9. Wind direction is from the northwest most of the year, but changes to east-southeast October through December.
http://www.lovellinc.org/climate.html

If you and your family find it best not to hunt your area with the 250, I would not dissuade you from that course.
Old June 29, 2014, 11:16 AM   #22
Barnacle Brad

Quote:
This is just a simple review of a very good bullet for killing deer and antelope in a small caliber.
The wind blew this thread off course a little...
Old July 1, 2014, 02:52 PM   #23
Unlicensed Dremel

And let's not forget that this bullet should be a great .223 rem small deer bullet as well, for the 12 twist .223s, yes?
Old July 1, 2014, 04:03 PM   #24
603Country

I just got my order of that bullet. Very soon now I'll reload some in the 220 and in the 223. Hopefully, they'll stabilize in the 220. As I said before, when I know, I'll tell ya'll.
Old July 3, 2014, 12:29 PM   #25
Barnacle Brad

Excellent. I will try to get out and record some muzzle velocities and check zero at 200yds as well.

For added entertainment I am playing with my triple deuce (Sav m24v) with a 60gr Nosler Partition. I put my dads old Bushnell Chief 4 power scope on it the other day. I haven't shot that rig in a while because of the horrible trigger pull, but I found a site that provides info on improving that.

http://www.savage24.com/