The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Guns of the West Gun Show

Is the Guns Of The Westshow any good? I need a used barrel for my 870 and there is a GOTW this weekend just north of San Diego (an hour and a half from me in good traffic). I have heard it is better for ammo and reloading supplies than guns and what I need is a used 28 0r 30 rewm choke barrel for my 870 Express.
Old February 8, 2011, 05:56 PM   #2
oneounceload

When I lived in NV, they had one about 4 times a year - they used to be the Shotgun News shows. In Reno, they had 2 rooms, about 1200 tables and a nice variety of all kinds of stuff. One thing about shows like this - know your budget, know what you want and how to evaluate it, then see if you have extra for impulse buys.
Old February 8, 2011, 06:10 PM   #3
zippy13

If you're talking about the one in Del Mar, it's probably not worth your time. The last time I went, it was more like a flea market/yard sale with some gun related odds and ends tossed in so the tables would qualify. None of us saw anything close to what we were after. But, everyone should go to one of those shows at least once. As oneounce noted, be price savvy before you get there.
Old February 8, 2011, 07:10 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Yep, Zippy, it is the one in Del Mar and I was expecting that you would know about it. This is the same show I was going to go to up in Orange County buy it got rained out. Given the distnance and how basd the traffic on the 405 is on the weekend, I will skiip it. Especially as I think I have a very fair deal on a 28" barrel for $115 shipped.
Old February 8, 2011, 07:13 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Oneounce. They same show is moving to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks, but it doesn't sound as nice as the one you used to attend.