The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Lilswede1

.223 with military crimp

Which removal tool is best? Dillon or RCBS
Old October 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I assume you are talking about the new RCBS bench tool as compared to the Dillon, and not the RCBS press mount tool. The Dillon is definitely faster than the press mounted tool, and I would guess that it's probably the faster bench mount tool, but I've never had an opportunity to try the RCBS version.

The reason I think the Dillon may be made to go faster is there is a YouTube video that shows how to rig a wire and rubber band to make a linkage that automates flipping the anvil up and down to receive and release finished cases. That makes it faster than it comes out of the box. I don't know that you can do that with the RCBS.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 26, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I have the RCBS press mount tool

I have the RCBS press mount tool. It works OK.

But I prefer to purchase once fired brass with the primer pocket already processed. This place cleans and process for a few dollars more per 1000: http://www.gibrass.com/ their prices are good too.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Jimro

If you aren't wedded to the idea of swaging, Ryobi is my preferred crimp remover. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0#.UItHnlHurWg

I can assure you that it is "plenty fast."

Jimro
Old October 27, 2012, 07:05 AM   #5
rebs

If you aren't wedded to the idea of swaging, Ryobi is my preferred crimp remover. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0#.UItHnlHurWg

I can assure you that it is "plenty fast."

Jimro

Can you explain your technique for using the counter sink, I have tried and end up removing too much brass or not enough. Some times it looks like the crimp is all gone but a new primer still doesn't want to go in. I was thinking the 82 degree angle was the problem.
I have had success with a Hornady chamfer/ deburing tool, but that cramps my hand.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:37 AM   #6
p loader

I too was initially considering a counter-sink....would like to know more
Old October 27, 2012, 12:15 PM   #7
moxie

I like my RCBS bench mounted swager. Fast and easy. I use the button from the old press tool to determine which cases need to be swaged.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 27, 2012, 12:51 PM   #8
mikld

Not a whole lot to know about a countersink (I have been using one for my military brass primer pockets and cleaning up case mouths for nearly 25 years). The primer crimps displace a small amount of case material at the top of the primer pocket. A countersink (I've been using a 60 degree high speed steel) cuts the displaced metal and "opens up" the primer pocket allowing for a clean/easy insertion of a new primer. Sometimes I chuck one in my hand drill or power screwdriver and it takes only a second to cut the offending crimp out...

Never tried the dedicated primer pocket "swage" or "reamer" for primer pockets 'cause it weren't necessary and I had a few countersinks handy. Works very well for me and my .223/5.56, 45 ACP, and 9mm brass.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Jimro

I chuck the countersink into a drill and remove a bit of material by feel. It isn't scientific by any stretch, but the primers seem to go in just fine, and no leaking yet (not pushing max loads and using Wolf "milspec" primers). Sometimes I have just a tad more difficulty seating a primer than with some of the processed brass I bought from gibrass.com but on the flip side the "chamfer" edge guides the primers in much nicer on my Pro1000 press.

If you don't want to use a countersink Hornady makes a primer reamer just for removing the crimp. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...ter-head-small If I had a drill press handy that would probably be the tool I chose. Mount a wood block, drill a brass recess in it, and then process brass as quick as I can swap brass and work the press.

Jimro
Old October 27, 2012, 02:36 PM   #10
chris in va

I also use a countersink. Buzzes the crimp right off.
Old October 27, 2012, 03:15 PM   #11
rebs

Quote:
Not a whole lot to know about a countersink (I have been using one for my military brass primer pockets and cleaning up case mouths for nearly 25 years). The primer crimps displace a small amount of case material at the top of the primer pocket. A countersink (I've been using a 60 degree high speed steel) cuts the displaced metal and "opens up" the primer pocket allowing for a clean/easy insertion of a new primer. Sometimes I chuck one in my hand drill or power screwdriver and it takes only a second to cut the offending crimp out...
Where did you get a 60 degree counter sink ? All I have found in Lowe's and Home Depot and Ace hardware is 82 degree counter sinks.

Today at a gun show I picked up a used RCBS pocket swager combo 2 for $10.00 The guy said the rod in it is one he bought on ebay and is extremely hard and won't bend.