The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 14, 2011, 01:50 PM   #26
603Country

Just because a fellow chooses to hunt with strings and sticks (Bows and arrows) does not mean that they are the only ones getting close to deer. A couple of years back, I was hunting with my tailbone flat on the ground, hiding in some waist high grass, when a small buck came from behind me and sniffed my right ear. I had heard him coming, so I didn't jump (though I was tempted). The first time I hunted in that waxed canvas coat, I had a nice 8 point glide out of the woods about 5 to 7 feet to my right. He never knew I was there. The loudest sound in the woods right then was the drum beat sound of my heart. And it wasn't long ago that I had 3 does 10 feet in front of me (and downwind), while I tried unsuccessfully to turn to my right to shoot the monster buck that was eyeing the does with lust in his eyes. I'd have made that incredibly slow turn if my stool hadn't collapsed and I fell backwards in the leaves while deer went in all directions. So just because some of us only hunt with rifles doesn't mean that we can't get just as close or closer than you strings and sticks guys. That small buck that sniffed my ear also brushed against my right shoulder as he moved forward. Have you been that close to a deer, or are you 25 feet up in the air in a climbing stand?
Old September 14, 2011, 02:37 PM   #27
tynimiller

603country...never have had a deer actually sniff me but yes been within arms reach before. And I by no means meant only bow hunters get close, what I did mean though is that only bow hunters HAVE to get close....hence my point of camo purchases, scent control and such being more important. Don't twist what this "strings and sticks" boy has said
Old September 14, 2011, 02:55 PM   #28
natman

I once had a fawn come up and sniff me so close I could have slit his throat without standing up. That's when I learned not to use a food cover scent (apple) right where I was sitting.

He kept sniffing trying to find the apples, then to make matters worse he finally realized that something was amiss with this funny bush and began alarm snorting and stomping his tiny hooves. I finally had to tell him to go away, which shocked the beejeepers out of him and he ran off.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:48 PM   #29
603Country

Tynimiller, sorry about grumping at you. I'm related by marriage and by blood to a bunch of bow hunters, and a couple of them are a pain in the backside in their rants against hunting with guns. So...I thought you were like that also. My mistake. And I should mention that the undiscussed likely truth about the family bow hunters is that they are limited to 45 yards and I'm good to 400. And they hunt over corn and I hunt the deer movement patterns. And the worst thing is that they know I have a bad habit of getting the big one that's too smart to eat their corn in daylight. And I don't even hunt in camo anymore. So we sit around and sip whiskey from time to time and I let them talk bad about me. And I smile.

Anyway...good luck with your hunting.
Old September 14, 2011, 09:47 PM   #30
tynimiller

That was quite amusing to say the least...bad brew in every group. Good luck to you as well!
Old September 14, 2011, 10:59 PM   #31
Deja vu

I don't wear any thing special unless I am hunting on some one else land. Hunting season is in the fall so I will usually wear a jacket and blue jeans.

I do on occasion archery hunt on some land my extended family owns, I do wear cammo there because the deer there are more spookable there.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 17, 2011, 07:05 AM   #32
okiewita40

My hunting clothes are very basic. A set of knit thermal long johns, T-shirt, flannel shirt, hooded sweat shirt on top and Jeans, sweat pants on bottom, A good pair of thermal socks. and an old pair of waterproof work boots. I top all of this off with an old set of carrhart bib's and coat. The carrhart's were my dad's when he was an electrical lineman. They smell like creosote so no need for cover scent since there are elec. transmission lines that run through where I hunt.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:54 PM   #33
stevelyn

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think the new camo patterns and clothes look really nice. However, they cost more than my standard issue Woodland Camo. Just cheap I guess.
I think he was speaking of clothing that better protects you from the weather, not camo.

Where I live out on the AKPEN it is so wet, windy and nasty there on a routine basis that if you are going to any time outside it's going to have to be in waterfowl gear designed for cold, wet windy weather.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.