The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 29, 2006, 07:45 PM   #1
franc

need a gunsmith?

This is for a gunshop that needs a gunsmith.
I'm an Italian gunsmith with 15 years experience with all types of firearms, very good at machining, rebarreling, custom stock making, blueing etc.
Can do all types of works on hunting and antique rifles.
Looking a job for a short time to get a new point of wiew on our job.
Francesco
Old October 3, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Contact the NRA. Don't know if it'll actually help though. www.nra.org
They don't hire smithy's themselves, but they may be able to put you into contact with somebody.
Old October 5, 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

Italian Gunsmith

Dear Sir:
It sounds like you are an accomplished Gunsdmith and you fellas have an enviable reputation for being really good! I would think you would have no problem here in the U.S!
In what area are you expert - that's first! Then I would get some gun magazines and "Shotgun News" and I hope by contacting those folks you find employment.
I've used italian firearms - black powder and their shotguns and the craftmanship is every bit as good as here. If you have engraving talensa or double rifles and such you have some very valuable talents.
You are very clever people in gunsmithing, marble work and all kinds of skills.
I sincerely hope for you to find permanent employment - most of good american business men judge people on their honesty and reliability - there are a few odd-balls but most of us could care less if your, green, blue, yellow, or black - to you I WILL say "good-luck."
Old October 5, 2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Italian smith

Dear Italian:
Just came to mind! Call Douglas Barrels at Charleson West Virginia and talk to Mr. Fred Depoy, Mention my name and talk to him about your qualifications - be sure to mention my name. The phone is 1-304-776-1341.
Tim Gardner is the owner but I feel Fred Depoy will give you a good listen!
This would you find to be a good place to work, threading, milling, etc. as they also do barrel fitting.
I've thought about your post for sometime and feel bad that I've not helper you - I truly wish you good success - we support you.
Harry B.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:19 AM   #5
BigO01

If you haven't had any luck try contacting these folks .

http://www.americanpistol.com/
Old October 7, 2006, 12:30 AM   #6
bennnn

Consider NC

Try looking around in central North Carolina, there aren't many smiths, the weather and the people are great, and there are more guns to work on then you've got time for....

Let us all know where you end up, I'd love to pick your brain here or in a shop, once you impress a few guys who post here you can set up just about anywhere and get covered up with work..... I have a few things right now.......
Old October 7, 2006, 02:15 AM   #7
NFACurious

Signore-

In Charleston West Virginia there are two options, atleast from what i know and an additional one that I just read about on this thread about Douglas Barrels.

The first idea i have for you is a store in charleston that i sometimes go to for shopping. Its called Gander Moutain. They have a small gunsmith's shop in the back, and could probably use another employee.

Second Besides Douglas Barrels, that is pretty much the only gunsmith for about a 25 mile radius. And if you know anything about WV. Theres lots of gun owners there. I imagine if you went there, and opened a good reputable business. It'd make a good chunk of cash. Food for thought anyways.

tenersi in contatto

(PS: Italian phrases come from a translator, I hope they are correct )
Old October 17, 2006, 05:10 PM   #8
franc

thanks for your encouragement.
If you ever have an e-mail address of a shop that needs a gunsmith, just let me know.