The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 2, 2001, 12:33 PM   #1
Wolf226

Holster for IDPA?

Looking to get started with my son in IDPA.
He has the Beretta 92FS and I have a Glock 17.
I was wondering what holster & mag carrier would be good to start out with for the IDPA shoots.

Thanks in advance for any help !!!
Old November 2, 2001, 01:28 PM   #2
Jeeper

Most people really like the plastic type ones. That is what I use. Find something that is IDPA legal(Check their website) and will hold up. IT should also allow the gun to be removed quickly and efficiently. You dont want something with a strap becuase you must use it if it has one. Dillon sells some good holsters for IDPA. The same goes for the mag pouches. Get some that are easy to get the mags out of. A good thick nylon belt is also very helpful. Unlike IPSC, IDPA requires that the belt be inside the pant loops.
Old November 2, 2001, 02:35 PM   #3
bullseyekp

I started shooting IDPA two years ago with a Don Hume leather belt holster. After about 10 months, I bought a Blade-Tech belt holster ($50) and double mag carrier ($50). For me, the kydex construction and straight drop design facilitates faster draws versus the Don Hume which is leather, has a 15 degree cant, and hugs my hip more closely. The kydex also has the advantage of adjustable tension screws.

If I were to buy a new holster, I don't thing it would be a Blade-Tech because their kydex is somewhat thicker than some of the newer ones (Mad Dog, SideArmor, etc).

Since you are just starting out, and assuming that you want something inorganic like kydex, I would try out the new Uncle Mike's kydex holsters. From what I hear, they function very well and the price is right at around $20-$25 each. You might also try Fobus if you want to go really cheap but for the little extra dough, the Uncle Mike's is probably worth it.

My $.02
"The great German poet, Goethe, who also lived through a crisis of freedom, said to his generation: 'What you have inherited from your fathers, earn over again for yourselves or it will not be yours'. We inherited freedom. We seem unaware that freedom has to be remade and re-earned in each generation of man."

--Adlai Stevenson, "Politics and Morality", Saturday Review, February 7, 1959.
Old November 6, 2001, 10:40 PM   #4
Leafy

There are lots of good choices but for $19.95 the Uncle Mike's are hard to beat. SideArmor (sp?) and Bladetech products are a little more streamlined but I don't know if they are worth twice the money.