The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2010, 03:24 AM   #1
AdamSean

Hunting with a muzzleloader

I have been thinking about what kind of rifle I want to get for deer season this year. I am looking for something accurate, good knockdown power, and inexpensive yet good quality. I am really considering a muzzleloader. 50 caliber rifle. There are a few out there between $200 and $300. Do any of you hunt with a similar rifle and what are the pros and cons of this?
Old October 11, 2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Regolith

I don't hunt with a muzzle loader, but this is my understanding:

Pros: easier to get a tag (if you live in a state with a lotto system), less competition.

Cons: The guns aren't as accurate and don't have nearly the same range as a regular rifle.

Modern muzzle loaders, the kind with the 209 primer system that use pre-formed powder pellets and sabot slugs, are more accurate and easier to use than traditional muzzle loaders. I believe they generally have a better range, too. I'm not sure, but some states may not allow you to use these kinds of muzzle loaders; you'll have to check your local game regulations.

Either way, you're going to have to be able to get close to your prey; at least as close as if you were hunting with a shotgun with slugs (within 100 or so yards). Maybe closer, depending on what you're shooting. Your maximum range should be the furthest distance you can put all of your shots into a 9" circle.
Old October 11, 2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Depends on what you want to do. I prefer the challenges of carrying a beautifuly handmade flintlock longrifle. If you want to harvest meat, go for a modern rifle in any deer caliber and use a scope. Only you can decide.
Old October 11, 2010, 08:32 AM   #4
skydiver3346

Muzzleloader:

Answer: There are no new "Good Quality" muzzleloaders out there for the pricing you mention in your post. You might be able to get a used muzzleloader from someone (ex: T/C Encore) for around th $400 range or so.
I have an Encore (w/scope) and it is extremely accurate with sabots (even out to 175 yards +). Plus muzzleloaders get you in an extra session before the regular gun season.
Old October 11, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Pahoo

Assuming that you are talking 209 in-lines, then start by looking into the CVA's quite a few choices there to fit your price range. There are more choices out there in the in-line and sidelocks, in good used condition. Perhaps you could be more specific on what you want to get into besides cost.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 11, 2010, 10:31 AM   #6
WatongaJim

T/C Impact Muzzleloader

I finally decided to get a muzzleloader this year in order to get in an extra session in advance of the regular deer gun season. After researching my options, I bought a T/C Impact for about $240. I've taken the Impact out to the range twice and I'm putting all my shots within 2 inches of the bullseye at 100 yards with the factory equipped fiber optic sights, so I think I'll forgo adding a scope, as 100 yards is about all I need. My loads are 100 grains of Triple 7, with a Hornady 240 grain bullet in a sabot. It shoots great and is much more acurate than what I had hoped for. Chuck Hawk has some great information on muzzleloaders. Just do an internet search for Chuck Hawk Muzzleloader. Lots of great informatioin.
Old October 11, 2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

I'm making an assumption, but if you are looking for a rifle for expense of cost and ammunition, and want to shoot a lot, then a muzzleloader is not what you want. They are every bit as expensive per shot, and a lot more trouble to clean, than a good old .308 rifle.
If you are buying the rifle for the extra deer season, then they are a good choice, but a .308 can be had for pretty much the same price, and the ammunition is readily available about every where you go, for a fairly decent price.
I own several ML's and they range in price from $250.00 w/o scope to $600.00 w/o scope. If you use a sobot and good grade of bullet, you are looking at between $.75 and $1.50 per shot according on the powder, primer, and load combination your rifle likes to shoot. All of them will shoot good groups at 100 yards. 1" groups are not uncommon with the newer inlines.
Old October 11, 2010, 10:54 AM   #8
ZeroJunk

I still use a Thompson Renegade Hunter sidelock. Did put a Green Mountain barrel on it with a 1 in 24 twist. Shoots great. Keep the powder path form the nipple to the barrel clean with contact cleaner, put a little piece of Saran wrap between the primer and nipple and it has never failed to fire. I have killed two of my nicest bucks with it. I have to admit I laugh a little at all these modern muzzle loading contraptions. I have one friend that shoots smokeless in a Savage. Something around 2400 FPS with a 250 grain saboted hollow point. Kinda defeats the purpose seems to me.
Old October 11, 2010, 11:40 AM   #9
nathaniel

Quote:
I still use a Thompson Renegade Hunter sidelock
Me too. But I'm getting one of those new fangdangled inlines just so I can shoot past 150 yards. Where I hunt in minnesota its slug/muzzleloader the past 2 years theres been a big 6x6 that stays about 200 yards away and I just dont feel comfortable shooting past 150.

I guess what Im getting at is if you want to shoot farther get an inline if you want to carry on the tradition of muzzle loading get a traditional muzzleloader. Yes you can shoot out to 300 with a traditional but it takes ALOT of practice, and contrary to what you believe its not that much cheaper to shoot BP.