The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 6, 2010, 10:54 PM   #1
the blur

12ga slugs

I have an oppurtunity to hunt a public preserve which allows shotguns and pistols only.

I could carry my 9mm pistol as a side arm, and my mossberg 500a.

What is the range of a 12ga slug ?
I imagine the stopping power is amazing, but what are the range limitations?

I can't see any deer running away after being slugged.
Old October 6, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2
BfloBill

Where are you hunting and what is the terrain like? How far are the shots you're anticipating?

Most of the guys in my camp used 12 ga. slug guns until they started to allow rifles. Foster slugs out of a smooth bore barrel are effective out to 100 yds., newer rifled barrel's with sabot slugs I think are good out to 150-175 yds. (but I never shot them myself, so that could be off).

That being said most deer are taken at much shorter ranges with a shotgun
(30-60 yds). And shot placement is everything. It might be a good sized chunk of lead, but Iv'e seen a lot of deer hit with a 12 ga that were lost, while with my smoothbore 20 ga. I never had to track a deer, they always died within sight of where I hit them.

Be carefull with the pistol, in my area it isn't legal to take a deer with a 9mm, and to be honest with you there is good reason- you want at least a .357 or you may not get a clean kill even with decent bullet placement.
Old October 7, 2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Range depends on your shooting ability and your sights. I have rifle sighted 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns and a scoped 20 gauge shotgun, All three easily good for 100 yards.

My front bead shotguns don't get pointed at anything over 40 yards.

Just as a matter of principle I try and stay 60 yards or less before I shoot. I usually use the 20 gauge scoped shotgun and it has never had to be shot twice at a turkey or deer.

Go to the range and set up targets at ranges you are likely to deal with and see what your skill limit is. Slugs aren't the limitation.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 7, 2010, 03:03 PM   #4
lefteyedom

Quote:
Go to the range and set up targets at ranges you are likely to deal with and see what your skill limit is. Slugs aren't the limitation.
If you can afford it buy a slug barrel for your shotgun. Makes all the difference in the world.

Just know what you have and what the limitation are. Good hunting
Old October 8, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Deerhunter

If you want maximum range (also depends on how much you shoot and how good you are / are comfortable with) but if you are thinking shots could be long go with a rifled slug barrel and then sign it and use the Hornady SSTs. My buddy is sighted in at 100 yards with them (scope) and I am sighted in at 50 (red dot).

Also do a search I am sure this has been discussed several times already.
Old October 9, 2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Jack O'Conner

I also own a Mossberg 500 with several barrels.

1) original 28 inch barrel was sawed off by local smith to 18.5 inches with bead reset. Shooting plain Foster types slugs, it will shoot 3 shots into a 6 inch circle at 35 yards. Not impressive but okay. I like this barrel best for bunny hunting because it throws a wide pattern.

2) rifled slug barrel with cantilever scope mount. Shooting Hornady 300 grain SST sabots, it will shoot two shots touching at 50 yards and three shots into a 4 inch circle at 100 yards. WARNING - Recoil is fierce!

3) 28 inch vent rib barrel with replaceable choke tubes. The improved cylinder tube shoots 3 shots into a 6 inch circle at 50 yards. Not impressive but better than the sawed off barrel.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; October 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: grammer corrected
Old October 9, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Pahoo

Some really good replies on this post so far. Most of my deer have been taken with Fosters, under 60Yds.

Quote:
I can't see any deer running away after being slugged.
Would seem that way but it happens. One deer that I shot at about 40yds had the mushroomed slug stopped on the inside of the opposite shoulder blade. If the lead in the slugs is not pure, it's pertty darn close and it's quite common to see a slug bulge under the skin. Even had one dropped out when we skinned the deer. I have taken long shots but for the most part, it's a waste of a good slug as they just drop off so fast.

Be Safe !!!