The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 2, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1
salvadore

M/44

Recently picked up a m-44 mosin and have been scrubbing the barrel ever since, using montana whatever solvent. Is there something else I might try? I am going to lap the barrel, but would like it clean prior to starting. Also, is there any preference for country of origin for the 7.62X54R surplus?
Old April 2, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Avenger

www.7.62x54r.net has a great reference section on ammo.
Old April 2, 2010, 06:43 PM   #3
SigP6Carry

I've heard a lot regarding which ammo you WANT for the Mosin's, I fire Wolf and Brown Bear exclusively in mine to reduce barrel wear from corrosive ammo. But, that's just me. If you're looking for the bestest, tightest groups ever: reloading is your best bet. Because of how much these guns have gone through, their reaction to different ammo is different in many cases. So, just buy all the ammo you can and find a round you like or reload till you find a load that works.

That's my advice.

Also: to clean the barrels? Mine took about 15-20 patches originally to clean and about 8-10 after each time I shoot. Then I use a brush. My barrel's a pretty good looking one to begin with, though. Also, I've been fine with Hoppes #9.
Old April 3, 2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Ignition Override

Both of my MN 44s had terrible groups at 50 yards (6", with bayos extended Or retracted) using surplus Bulgarian, from both the dusty gray and the newer clean oval green cans.

My common Yugo Mauser 48A is so much better with Rom., Czech or Yugo surplus ammo, but you have to aim about 6" low from 50 yards.

What is 'lapping' the barrel (or bore)?
Old April 3, 2010, 08:33 AM   #5
salvadore

Lapping is polishing the barrel. I don't know how the big boys do it, but I pour a lead plug into an obstucted barrel around a .22 cleaning brush. Plug the barrel with wad of cloth and pour about .5 to .75 long lead plug connect a cleaning rod to the bore brush/lead plug and pull out. cut a couple of grooves around the lead plug, smear with lapping compound, Brownell's probably sells it, line up the barrel grooves with the corresponding plug and push it back in barrel and start polishing. It's been close to 20 years since i've had the urge to do this, so you might want to get more info.

My Mosin's barrel is a chocolate mess and I am still cleaning. Picked up some JB's and will continue on until I get down to bare pits.