The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Doug S

Quote:
FWIW, any gun made outside the US must, by law, be marked with the country of origin - they don't have to be conspicously marked, but marked (usually stamped into the metal somewhere) they are.

For a manufacturer to place a "Made in U.S.A." sticker on a foreign-made product would be a violation of the Consumer Protection laws.

( IOW, they can no longer get away with "made in USA", meaning the city of USA, Japan - as has been the case every once in awhile in the past, on some products.)
Thanks for the info. Having looked at a lot of old Maverick threads with confusing information, you're comments above help clarify the issue.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old May 1, 2013, 07:08 PM   #27
allaroundhunter

Well, you might have "overpaid" compared to what some are selling it for, but if you enjoy the gun then $279 really is not that bad...

Heck, my Maverick is closer to the $800 range

Old May 1, 2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Doug S

Yes, but that's a fancy Maverick you have there :-)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old May 1, 2013, 08:11 PM   #29
allaroundhunter

It's my "Assault Maverick"
Old May 1, 2013, 10:36 PM   #30
colbad

Got mine under 200
Old May 4, 2013, 04:03 PM   #31
deputy tom

$219.00 LGS pricing approx. two years ago in the western PA area. I see these $199.00 prices on the net all of the time but what shipping and extra costs ? I don't know. Good luck. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
Old May 4, 2013, 05:40 PM   #32
Doug S

Here's a picture of my bare bones Maverick. Having had it out to the range a couple of times now, I have to say I like it. It seems just as well put together as my previous two Mossberg 500', and I think the shorter 5+1 Maverick handles better than my 7+1 Persuader did, and it is much easier to get to the slide release on the Maverick than on my Tactical Model 500. No that I think about it, I've never seen a stock 500 5+1 with a regular buttstock on a shelf at the local store where I've bought these 3 shotguns.

From the prices I'm seeing here, I obviously paid a little more for mine, but based on it's performance, I'm very happy with it, and I was able to pick it up from a local mom and pop shop near where I live. The Maverick handles very nice, has been reliable so far, and puts the pellets on target. I think it's a "bargain" at under $300, and based on my experience so far, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good economical shotgun.

Last edited by Doug S; May 4, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:05 PM   #33
Firefighter88

I own a maverick 88 12 gauge with a 28 inch bbl and use it for pheasant hunting. It had a nice football shaped pattern with a full choke and pheasant loads in it. I paid $150 from a family member. I have had only one fail to feed with it, just didn't pull the round out of the tube when cycled, but it has been a great gun for the money. Once I get a few more shotguns I may turn it into a tactical type for home defense.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:37 AM   #34
INMY01TA

I see the Walmart ones for <$200 but for the security models I generally see the 5 shot 18.5" for $229 and the 8 shot 20" for about $245. You weren't that far off. Enjoy the gun.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #35
Doug S

Thanks INMY01TA, for the numbers. Even though I like the gun, it's still nice to know that I didn't pay too much more.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:42 PM   #36
LynnTX

These are not "normal" times for firearms are accessories. Have you checked prices on range of ammo lately?

Dealers are charging whatever prices they think they can get away with.
It's not surprising there are some extra mark-ups being done in most parts of the country.