The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 17, 2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Doug Ridley

Private range

Thinking of fixing a private mini-range in my shop. How many two bys will a .38 shoot through? Don't want any bullets flying out the back side of the building.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
dayman

I'd put up some steel. wood gets chewed up pretty quick. A free swinging steel target with a wood frame to catch the splatter should work fine as long as you have adequate ventilation.
Railroad ties would work too, as long as you have a steady supply so you can change them out on a regular basis.
Also, what's behind your garage? If you're in a suburban area i'd think any setup would be a bad idea, and probably illegal.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
nanewt02

Could have sworn the last range I went to had a giant pile of sand. Oh I would l love to have a private range
Old April 17, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Doug Ridley

Got it! I just filled a plastic garbage can with dirt, fastened the lid on good with cable ties, laid it down on the workbench, taped a target on it and started shooting. Works good. When too many holes appear I'll just tape over them, put on a new target and go some more. Won't last forever but will do for a while.
Old April 17, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5
zincwarrior

Be sure to have a hose nearby. Call me gunshy now, but I've seen three fires at ranges in the last two years. Admittedly, we're in a drought, but when stuff starts smoking it seems to go really fast.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:02 PM   #6
ShootingNut

You apparently don't live in the City or a subdivision.
You must be out someplace in the Boon Docks?
Old April 17, 2013, 04:27 PM   #7
jglsprings

Quote:
Got it! I just filled a plastic garbage can with dirt, fastened the lid on good with cable ties, laid it down on the workbench, taped a target on it and started shooting. Works good. When too many holes appear I'll just tape over them, put on a new target and go some more. Won't last forever but will do for a while.
Okay...

Quote:
Don't want any bullets flying out the back side of the building.
So how did you get around the initial problem? One stray round and it's a disaster.

Others have asked as well, is it legal to discharge a firearm in your location?

Commas save lives...
Old April 17, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Ferretboy

What shooter in their right mind doesnt want their own range? Just wish they didnt come with all the head aches. Though if I had a basement and a big enough peice of property, Underground range. Wouldnt have to worry too much about over penetration.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I hope you air flow is adequate and in the right direction. You still might want to dig into your pocket and get that sheet f steel, hang it at an angle and have a bullet trap under it. Then stick your trash can catcher in front of it. Stray bullet problem solved and you get your lead back but first the air. You don't want all that fun and have to give it up because your nervous system goes whacky doodle from lead dust in your system.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 17, 2013, 07:46 PM   #10
ranchito457

safety first! use steel,Me and my friends put up a makeshift range and used old recycled steel never a problem but we also put up a 10 foot wall of dirt
Old April 20, 2013, 09:19 AM   #11
bbqbob51

Safety first when it comes to lead contamination. We've had a problem with lead exposure at the indoor range at or gun club and it's hard to get the conditions just right.
Here is a link to different types of backstops:
http://www.nssf.org/ranges/rangereso...gncriteria.pdf
Old April 20, 2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Muskamoot

I made a mini backstop using a 4' x 4' x 2' deep base made out of 3/4" plywood.I mounted it on HD wheels and filled it 6" from the top with dry sand.The bullet plate was 1/4" steel mounted on an angle (about 45 degrees) that directed the bullets into the sand about 1' from the rear of the base if the bullets hit the target near the ten ring.I experimented with the plate angle with a .22. I made a target hanger to hold a 2'x3' cardboard backer and stapled the targets to that. I used the backstop for .38,.22 and .45,thousands of rounds with no real problems.There is a bit of bullet splatter thet will extend outside of the backstop,so be prepared for that.The wall behind the backstop was concrete filled block.