The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Straightshooter629

Getting Started in Reloading

Ok guys, I am confering with the experts. I intend on doing a lot of IDPA shooting, so my tax refund will be spent on reloading gear. Give me some opinoins on which is the best equipment to buy...Lee's or RCBS? Am I better off starting with a single stage or should I go ahaead and go with a progressive set-up? I'll be starting with .40 and .38/.357, and I'm pretty sure that I will be casting my own revolver bullets ( I can also cast some of my own fishing weights...). Thanks in advance for your input.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Nate1778

If your new, and never loaded before I would veer away from the progressive until you have an understanding of the process. Not saying it can't be done but the learning curve is pretty steep. A great press is the Lee Classic Turret, you can use it as a single stage and when your comfortable put the indexing rod in and you can crank out 150 rounds an hour moving at a brisk pace. If your mechanically inclined Lee makes their Loadmaster, its a tough one to figure out but once they are they can easily go 500 rounds an hour (I've timed myself). for the money its hard to beat. If you have a bit more cash and less mechanical aptitude then consider a Hornady LNL progressive or higher end press.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Plinkn

I was in the same situation as you this time last year. After talking to one of my friends that reloads, I made the decision of going with a turret press. My buddy has a single stage press and a Dillon progressive and after seeing both in action I figured that (at least for a newby) a turret press is perfect.

I'm a firm believer in starting out on a simple machine like a single stage because it forces you to pay attention and realize just what happens during each operation. A progressive is faster, but unless you realize what should be happening and what "feels" right, a progressive is a lot to keep up with for a newby.

So for these reasons my first press was a turret. The reason I like it is because it's as simple as a single stage without the hassle of setting up the dies over and over. Quick change heads also allow fast caliber changes. It's definitely not as fast as a progressive, but for me, it was a whole lot more convenient to use than a single stage.

The way I look at it too is that even if you eventually buy a progressive machine, you'll still want something to run small batches of odd calibers that you may have and not sink all the expense for parts for the progressive. A good turret press will last a long time and I think you'll be happy with one starting out.

Take a look at the Lyman T-Mag II or the Redding T7. These will let you set up 2 pistol calibers on the same turret. I own the T-Mag II and couldn't be happier for the price. It's built like the proverbial tank.

Another thing to consider is that once you have a turret or single stage set up for a caliber, once you decide to spend on a progressive you'll already have most of the other equipment you'll need such as a scale, powder measure, dies, trays etc, which you'll need with your progressive machine anyway. Or you may find that for the volume you reload a turret will be sufficient, saving you quite a bit.

One thing you'll definitely need is a manual and this is about the best deal going:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=480380

You could at least start out with that, it's nothing special, but it works. And it's basically free with the manual.

Just something to think about.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
gregjc9

Like you, I shoot IDPA (locally), and just recently started reloading (first of the year). I had done a LOT of research on which type/make/model of press would be best for a beginner, and I settled on the Lee Classic Turret press. I reload 9mm and 45ACP, and it does a very nice job.

Greg
Old January 27, 2010, 10:19 AM   #5
jmortimer

All brands work and are good. Get a Lee Classic Turret Press from Lee Precision. Kempf's sells a "Classic Turret Kit" The Others sell a regular Lee Turret not the classic. Kempf's makes their own up - Here -
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...=190&Itemid=41 .
Get Modern Reloading by Richard Lee especially if you are going to use Lee Precision equipment. Most Recommend the Lymans Reloading Manual. You can deactivate the Auto-index and use it as a "Single Stage" which is what I due. The beauty lof the Turret is that you set up the die in the turrets and can then swap out turrets set up for different calibers with the dies set up and you avoid setting up the dies again and again.. I use the Lee powder dippers and the Auto Prime hand held primer. Very simple all around. Check out the customer reviwes/comments on Midway USA for any product you are interested in buying even if you use another source. The reviews fromactul owners are very helpful and you will quickly see that most of the Lee Precision is highly rated and cost much less. For progressives go with Dillion or Hornady Lock-N-Load.

Last edited by jmortimer; January 27, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old January 27, 2010, 12:01 PM   #6
rbf420

... in my own opinion... i see the plus of starting with single stage if your just starting, but in my case now just a couple months in i have learned more than enough to use a progressive but now dont have to money to purchase one so im stuck at a slower rate then being able to mass produce which to me would be optimal... if you have the money to get both do it. an extra single stage is always helpful. if you dont... i would get a progressive, and if u can stretch it get a cheap cheap single stage then a progressive. or you could go for a 4 hole turret... perhaps that would be an optimal choice for your situtation... thats just my opinion and im still wet behind the ears, id take the pros opinion over mine.
Old January 27, 2010, 01:28 PM   #7
NWPilgrim

It sort of depends on how much you shoot for IPDA every week. I don't shoot competively and a turret press is great. I knew an IPSC competitor and he shot a couple of thousands of rounds per week. Nothing but a Dillon progressive for him!

I firmly believe starting out you should get a single stage, or turret used in single stage mode to fully understand each reloading step and the various quality and safety checks needed and the things which can go wrong. Even if you add a progressive later it will be handy to have a single stage available for smaller tasks.

If you get a single stage then get one with the quick change die collars like the Lee or Hornady. Lee makes a good single stage for about $50 so it is easy to get started that way.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 27, 2010, 02:46 PM   #8
oneounceload

There is a sticky right at the top of the threads going over all of the basics - it's a good read with lots of information.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Lavid2002

made a video follow it 1 through three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPXqDrqjE4

Enjoy hope it helps : )

-Dave
Old January 27, 2010, 03:20 PM   #10
mineralman55

Getting Started...

If you are into shooting for the long haul, do your research, get a couple of manuals, then get a quality progressive press. I was in the same place as you, only 24 years ago . Everyone, even the old curmudgeons at the gun shows said just get a single stage press. I bought an RCBS 4x4 and never looked back. It was a great decision for me. I load for multiple rifles and pistols, the RCBS has been rock solid. RCBS no longer makes the 4X4, but Hornady has a very similar model. Check out a bunch of the YouTube videos on progressive reloaders. I'm sure you can master the techniques.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:28 PM   #11
dmazur

Don't overlook the Dillon 550B. This is the press a lot of volume shooters use. Even though it doesn't have a case feeder or enough stations for a powder check, it is generally known as the "workhorse" for pistol reloading.

You can use it for bottleneck cartridge reloading as well, which is made easier by the lack of auto indexing.

If you haven't already heard of Dillon, they are the "blue press" people with the lifetime warranty. Customer service, including answering questions, second to none.

(I didn't have any real problems with a progressive press "learning curve". Until you get everything just right, you can index one round at a time through the stations and treat it kind of like a turret. Four handle pulls per round. Once it's set correctly, you can create one round per handle pull by inserting brass & bullet every time you pull.)
Old January 27, 2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Radar

I'm a big fan of the Lee equipment. I started out with the Classic Cast many years ago, then got the Breechlock Challenger when I started loading multiple calibers. I then got the Classic Turret to speed things up a bit.
The Classic is used for rifle, the Breechlock handles specialty dies like a decapper, sizers, pullers. The Turret is used for pistol. I prime with a hand primer, I just like it better. Never had a bit of trouble with any of my gear.
My setup...

My Best,
Walt
Old January 27, 2010, 07:21 PM   #13
jmortimer

Your set up is a nice set up. Good for you.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:52 PM   #14
Jim243

Lee Classic Turret press!!!
Old January 27, 2010, 09:19 PM   #15
zig mag roller

I must say that I'm quite happy to see so many fans of LEE tools. Lee takes a lot of flak for being "cheap" - I strongly disagree. There are many manufactures that charge an arm & a leg for good equipment, but Lee provides a quality product @ a very fair price. I am one of the many that enjoy the ease of the Lee classic turret setup. It has the features of a progressive press with the option of running it as a single stage press, not to mention the quick change turret which allows you to change between calibers in seconds. Just my humble opinion.................
Old January 28, 2010, 09:01 AM   #16
Straightshooter629

Thanks guys...I've got enough info to at least get started in the right direction. Now I've got to remember to buy something nice for the wife...she's letting me spend the money...