The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 5, 2004, 09:49 AM   #1
SCOTTYDOG

Redfield scope problem

Need some help and advice. Friend of mine has a Redfield Wide Angle in straight 6 power that he dearly loves. Used to be his Dad's, so is kind of a keepsake.
He was showing it to me a couple of weeks ago, and when I looked through it, the cross hairs were broken.
I said, "Gee, Tony, the cross hairs are broken"
He said, "WHAT, of all the dirty, rotten Blankity-Blank no good rotten luck @#&^%!^$%(*&#"
Question is, does anyone know where he can get this repaired?
Went to the Redfield website and didn't see much help there. Only a toll free number for tech support.
Thought maybe some of you knew of a place he can get this fixed reasonably.
We live in Southeast Idaho, but he doesn't mind sending it most anywhere.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Like I said, this is an older scope that was his Dad's, so he really wants to keep it.
Thanks for any help. SCOTTYDOG
Old September 5, 2004, 02:36 PM   #2
Paul B.

Scotty, first off, is the scope an origional Redfield rather than the Japanese scopes using the Redfield name? I'm assuming it's an original, so calling that tech number is no good. I am assuming the following is still good. it'd be worth calling them to find out.
FWIW, I believe they also repair Tasco scopes. I did send in a Redfield scope to them about three or four years ago. They'r a bit slow, but the scope came back in perfect working order.

THE REDFIELD OPTICS REAIR CENTER (ABO)
615 SW 2nd Aveneue
Miami, FL 33130
All scopes returned for warraty service must include a check for $26.00 made out to ABO (USA) For further information, call (305) 860-4958.

I had an internal lens fall out of place on my scope and they fixed it just fine. Still, I would make the call to find out if they're still doing this work. IIRC, all Redfield scopes had a lifetime warraty, so there should be no other costs other than mailing the scope and the $26.00.
Paul B.
Old September 6, 2004, 09:21 AM   #3
SCOTTYDOG

Paul, thanks for the reply. Been doing a lot of research and reading this morning and have found that The Redfield Optics Repair Center (ABO) doesn't repair older redfield scopes, only the newer ones made after Redfield went belly up. Seems that the "lifetime" warranty went belly up with the company.
Also found out that the $26.00 sent with scope to ABO sometimes doesn't cover all the repair expenses.
Your right about the tech support number, as they wont repair older scopes, so that's out.
I'm getting all this info and opinions off of other websites and forums, so am trying to keep an open mind and sort through all this.
Your input is always valued and I thank very much for your reply. SCOTTYDOG
Old September 8, 2004, 12:16 PM   #4
Paul B.

I wonder when this happened? It was about four years ago when I sent my original Redfield in that had a lifetime warrenty. Could it be that the scope you're talking about was made before Redfield went to a lifetime warrenty?
The new Redfields are just a jap scope with Redfield's name on them.
Paul B.