Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 4, 2012, 10:20 PM   #26
chris in va

What state do you reside in?
Old October 4, 2012, 10:44 PM   #27
nazshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman View Post
Not exactly on topic with the OP, but am I to take it that you don't need a concealed carry permit to carry a loaded gun in your car in some states?
The highway patrol can't like that.
Yes although some states limit where in the car it can be. Here in AZ no permit is necessary for carry (open or concealed) and HP seems to get by just fine.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old October 5, 2012, 09:26 AM   #28
Stressfire

Quote:
I cant belive the fear I see here, someone knocks on the door and panic ensues?
I don't think this qualifies as panic - panic would be shooting the guy through the door

Quote:
He was probably ringing your doorbell and looking towards the street for a reason.If you didn't respond,your door would have most likely been kicked in.The reason he was looking towards the street was to observe if he was being watched by a neighbor.
I agree. If for some reason I needed to knock on a strangers door, I always make sure that my smiling face is the first thing they see, I also stand a bit back from the door - unspoken signs that tend to show that I mean no harm
Old October 5, 2012, 10:17 AM   #29
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to continue a thread hijack - we've pretty much answered the OP.

So - whenever, someone tells me that they don't have a permit or have a 'car' gun (instead of carry) - it reminds me of the utility of Dr. Gratia-Hupp's 'car' gun. Did a lot of good and thus she fought for the CHL law.
Old October 5, 2012, 02:53 PM   #30
JThompson

Thanks for the input Gentlemen
Old October 5, 2012, 07:37 PM   #31
FireForged

Quote:
This isnt about a person simply knocking at the door. Its about how your instincts warn you of something that is amiss. What we sense is not always so easy to put into words when it about feeling or visual perception. I think that this post boils down to the fact that the fellow who was at the door, behaved oddly under the circumstances. We dont live in 1950's Mayberry anymore and when someone who knocks at the door does not act normal.. its certainly a possibility that bad thing are afoot.

In my town there is a alley that runs between a pizza place and a movie theater... As a teen in the late 70's I would always cut through the alley when going over to the movie theater. One night as I walked about 15 feet into the alley, i stopped. Something didnt feel right and it wasnt anything that I could put my finger on. Purhaps it was an absense of something, absense of sound maybe. It seemed oddly quiet but I wasnt sure it was even that at all, just a feeling. I had a am/fm radio to my head and couldnt really hear anyway but I stood there a few seconds more then turned and walked the long way aound. Later that night ( in the alley) a guy was robbed of his wallet and jacket by a unknown male that was never found. A rather dim light that was normally on all night- above the rear door of the pizza place was broken and thats where the robbery occured. I think the added darkenss was what I picked up on but it didnt really register due to it being such a subtle difference. I could have just shrugged my shoulders and walked down the alley but I didnt. I followed my gut instinct about the situation and didnt try to convince myself otherwise.

The moral of this story is that when and if your gut tells you something is wrong... its very likely it is.

Last edited by FireForged; October 5, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:08 PM   #32
Bob Wright

For whatever its worth, Tennessee has a law that if a person uses a gun in self defense, no crime has occurred.

A man was going to his bank in Memphis recently when a bank robber emerged, running towards this man as he was getting out of his car, and pointing a gun at the man. He drew a .357 Magnum from his car and shot the bank robber grave yard dead. The bank customer had no carry permit, but as the shooting was ruled self defense, no charges were filed against the man.

But the man was a convicted felon, and was charged by Federal laws.

Bob Wright
Old October 5, 2012, 10:53 PM   #33
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
For whatever its worth, Tennessee has a law that if a person uses a gun in self defense, no crime has occurred....
Please provide a citation to the actual law. I doubt that is strictly accurate.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 6, 2012, 03:41 AM   #34
giaquir

What the heck is a corn-roll?
BTW, I think you acted in a very mature way.
ron
Old October 6, 2012, 04:58 AM   #35
MarkDozier

cornroll is a hair style worn, generally by blacks. So called becuase of the way thee haur is put out into rolls and usaully finished iff with a bead/beads.
Old October 6, 2012, 05:03 AM   #36
giaquir

dreadlocks mon?
Old October 6, 2012, 05:36 AM   #37
thump_rrr

It's cornrows.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:28 AM   #38
raimius

Good idea to be wary of people behaving oddly at your door...
...the whole going back somewhere to lock a door is poor planning though. Unless you are using a door to go in and out for something, it should be closed and locked, IMO.
Old October 7, 2012, 10:34 AM   #39
Loronzo

I believe Bob may be refering to the Safe Harbor clause in the T.C.A. I don't know the annotated line provision but basically allows the user of a firearm or other weapon by an otherwise restricted situation to refrain from being charged for its use if it was used for the safety and wellbeing of the community(at a state level); however if you are caught carrying in a restricted area and not actively using your firearm you still face charges for unlawful possession of a weapon. I'll see if I can find it after I have my coffee .

*Edited* TCA 39-17-1322

Last edited by Loronzo; October 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:17 PM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Call the police first and stay on the line. It documents that you were trying to do the right thing and may be in fear of your life.

Gramps might get there first but he isn't paid to get shot for you despite that he might want to save you.

You get the gun and hunker down. Tell the law you are scared about an ongoing break-in.

You have no idea how it will go down with Gramps. Maybe he gets shot, maybe he shoots the wrong guy. Let the law do that.

+1 w/ GEM

lol @ Mark J

Miami, FL..we have a ton of home invasions here. They knock...wait, no answer. You have a B & E, home invasion, robbery, and God forbid anyone is home.

Crazy coming up? No...but my gun is on me 24/7 when I'm home. I stay in jeans perfectly comfortable all day long until I sleep. Mowing the law, gun at 4:00, bathroom it's with me, shower it sits on the toilet. Always on my person no matter where I am at home. When I sleep my G21 comes out and sits on my night stand. That is if I don't just keep my CCW on the night watch.

You did ok..911 is your best bet on the record. If he had done something somewhere else. You had a description and possibly in the same area. Maybe someone else called cause he knocked. Never know.

Finally...maybe he just wanted sugar?
Old October 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #41
JThompson

Quote:
It's cornrows
Lol, shows how much I know

Quote:
BTW, I think you acted in a very mature way.
Thank you, Sir

Quote:
the whole going back somewhere to lock a door is poor planning though
I agree, Lesson learned.
Old October 9, 2012, 04:16 PM   #42
JThompson

Quote:
In my town there is a alley that runs between a pizza place and a movie theater... As a teen in the late 70's I would always cut through the alley when going over to the movie theater. One night as I walked about 15 feet into the alley, i stopped. Something didnt feel right and it wasnt anything that I could put my finger on. Purhaps it was an absense of something, absense of sound maybe. It seemed oddly quiet but I wasnt sure it was even that at all, just a feeling. I had a am/fm radio to my head and couldnt really hear anyway but I stood there a few seconds more then turned and walked the long way aound. Later that night ( in the alley) a guy was robbed of his wallet and jacket by a unknown male that was never found. A rather dim light that was normally on all night- above the rear door of the pizza place was broken and thats where the robbery occured. I think the added darkenss was what I picked up on but it didnt really register due to it being such a subtle difference. I could have just shrugged my shoulders and walked down the alley but I didnt. I followed my gut instinct about the situation and didnt try to convince myself otherwise.
This is scary. Thanks for sharin. I feel like perception may not always involve sight and hearing..
Old October 9, 2012, 06:16 PM   #43
Nnobby45

Quote:
Yes, but what about situations out side of the home? Vehicle, place employment, ect? If I was carrying that day the pistol would be in my waste band instead of locked in my gun cabinet.
Perhaps, but you were unarmed at HOME because you chose for it to be that way. Can't blame it on the law. More important that you learned something from your mistakes, such as the fact that he could possibly have been inside your home before you unlocked your gun. They don't always ring the doorbell first.

Where's the gun cabinet? In the living room where he'd have been breaking into it?
Old October 9, 2012, 06:49 PM   #44
Nnobby45

Quote:
Perhaps you can enlighten us with the proceedure you'd follow when YOUR visitor keeps his face hidden while ringing the doorbell and refuses to respond (except for ringing the doorbell more vigorously) when you ask him what he needs.
Old October 10, 2012, 04:55 PM   #45
markj

Quote:
Perhaps you can enlighten us with the proceedure you'd follow when YOUR visitor keeps his face hidden while ringing the doorbell and refuses to respond (except for ringing the doorbell more vigorously) when you ask him what he needs.
Well now I am glad you asked. Last time 2 guys were in my driveway in a truck had a freezer in the back. Them boys was selling meat, beef, now I live on a feed lot, many steers on the place. I tell em I dont buy my beef, I raise it, them boys started walking towards me, I stood up (was sitting in a chair on the deck) told em to leave now before I come down. They left fast, I am as big as a steer, can pick them boys up at the same time toss em way over there.

Another time two gals was in the drive, had skirts up to here and push up stuff on tried to ask me if I knew Jesus. Told them the was they was dressed they better get to know him better they left.

Had a guys dog in the barn after my cat, shooed dog off, dog turned and was gonna go after me, pulled my .45, guy owned the dog was gonna come up and whup me if I shot the dog. He moved to somewhere else afterwe had a talk next day and he was sobered up.

Sorry guys, I just dont get all feered up, been a bouncer, got shot, got stabbed, been there and done that. Was raised up in a fighting family, my brother and I was the entertainment, we boxed till first blood almost every night. Had many other guys come over and give it a try. still box and still work out, fear nobody. Just a farm boy living life and enjoying the country life.

Where I work now, thats another matter. No guns allowed and shootings happen daily around here.

You can never tell about a person till you interact with them in some way, I took it as the guy was maybe broke down, needed a hand, was watching the car or whatever. Will never know.....

I took some great body guard classes in the early 80s, marine uncles and one BIL was SS here for old bush. I got some training some folks dont get.

Sorry you all dont agree with me. My family lives in fla dont seem worried...
Old October 10, 2012, 05:05 PM   #46
Tactical Jackalope

+1 with Mark. Not saying I've been there to that extent. But I know you have from previous discussions with you.

Changes how you see things. Way different from someone who hasn't and only has what they think they'd do in mind.

Always an easy scenario in the mind story. Lol

Hope you're well Mark.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old October 10, 2012, 05:46 PM   #47
treg

Please tell me that you saw him with his back to the door from someplace other than that door, window, side door etc.....................

Never go directly to the door. LOOK FIRST.

And you did good by not answering. Nothing says you have to open the door when someone knocks.

Here's a drill for ya:
Turn your phone over so you can't see who is calling next time it rings. When it stops ringing check to see if you are still alive. Same concept applies to someone knocking on the door.

If someone chooses to enter when you did not answer the door then they have taken things to whole nother level. That's what the Glock is for.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:28 PM   #48
NWPilgrim

I'm not seeing how "skeering off' guys in push-up bras selling meat out of truck relates to the OP scenario, but if that counts in your book as fearless go for it.

JThompson you are OK. Did mostly good, learn from it and by the time you are fifty yrs old you can be chasing would-be party girls down the street with nary a shaky knee, too!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 10, 2012, 08:49 PM   #49
siska

kill while committing a felony, life sentence=possible

and if he was a felon, he was committing a felony to have the gun. Hope he got off light, but hey, that's the sort of laws we have today.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:09 AM   #50
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siska View Post
and if he was a felon, he was committing a felony to have the gun. Hope he got off light, but hey, that's the sort of laws we have today.
We don't know if the BG had a gun or not....

Sent from my HTC One X