The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 23, 2012, 09:13 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

I prepped a couple batches of jerky today, and I actually had to come back to this thread for the last version of one of my recipes.

I figured I'd post an update.

After the last batch of jerky was finished, I bagged everything and refrigerated it for a longer shelf life. It gave me a chance to see how well these recipes age.

I don't recommend the "Crazy Cajun Limon" recipe, unless it will be consumed within a couple weeks. It does not age well, and loses taste after 4-5 weeks (even refrigerated).

The Creole recipe also doesn't age well, as it gets incredibly crispy after a couple weeks. Perhaps with more of one of the hygroscopic ingredients (Honey/Corn Syrup/Brown Sugar), it would retain more moisture. But, the current recipe is definitely not one to use for storage.

Both taste good, when fresh. They just aren't a good choice for any kind of storage.

My "Plains Game" and burger recipes, however, are still great after being slowly eaten from the refrigerator for the last 5 months.

On a separate note....
My wife wants me to come up with a recipe for Taco-flavored jerky.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:18 PM   #27
shortwave

Thanks for the update....and starting this thread.

Have enjoyed a few of these recipe's over the summer and will continue the same for a long time.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:19 PM   #28
sc928porsche

Just the old recipe for me. Meat, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:02 PM   #29
Deja vu

I marinade in2 parts DR Pepper and 1 part bottle of sliced jalapenios (liquid and all) then smoke it over apple wood.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 27, 2012, 07:54 PM   #30
redneck

I use ground meat and a cabelas "jerky gun".
Favorite I've tried so far is to use Hi mountain "bourbon bbq" cure and seasoning, and then after I make the strips I coat them with Cajun Heritage "Cajun Blast" season rub before curing them in the oven.
I got both items at Gander Mountain but I'm sure you could find them other places.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:53 PM   #31
bswiv

Why did I look at this thread while I was hungry and when there is not a piece of venison left in the freezer...........and our season is a month off???

Printed a couple of them.......man are you guys good!!!!
Old September 28, 2012, 02:01 PM   #32
TomADC

My grandson is the meat manager/cutter for a local grocery store when they put either top or bottom round on sale I have him pick a piece of meat that looks lean enough he slices it and the I use Hi-Mountain jerky rubs, I like the original but others are good also. I smoke them in my Traeger grill.
http://www.himtnjerky.com/
Old September 28, 2012, 03:07 PM   #33
Doyle

I did a whole pork loin into jerky over the Labor Day weekend and froze it in vacuum sealed pouches. My wife has been snacking on it so much that it is almost gone.

Here is one benefit to using pork loin (other than the significant cost savings) - I took the trimmings (fat, marbled meat, and odd-shaped lean pieces that weren't big enough for jerky) and ground them up into sausage. I got 16 nice breakfast sausage patties out of the waste.
Old December 27, 2016, 03:38 AM   #34
FrankenMauser

Shameless bump.

I recently made some Elk jerky with my "Plains Game" recipe, and figured it was an appropriate time to bring this back up for some new additions from members.
Old December 27, 2016, 08:33 AM   #35
Guv

Mine is pretty simple:
Cut in thin strips
Salt
Course Ground Black Pepper
A little Chile powder
Dry
Smoke over Mesquite and or Oak wood.
Old December 27, 2016, 11:54 PM   #36
979Texas

Very interesting thread gentlemen. Keep the recipes coming. My only comments at this point in the thread is that real smoke wins handsdown over artificial processed smoke products anytime. And creating and building all of your own seasoning rubs, marinades, brines, etc. yourself are huge also over buying premade sauces and seasoning blends. But jerky is a simple food and having fun with it is great and I fully support that but also I support the observance of the simplicity of it also.
Burn on fellas.
Old December 28, 2016, 01:44 PM   #37
zxcvbob

Quote:
Smoke over Mesquite and or Oak wood.
Soft maple or pecan is good too. I was really surprised by the silver maple.