The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 26, 2010, 10:21 PM   #26
reloader28

So Elkins, what did you do?
I have a different gun but my shoots very good with 15.5 - 16gr 2400. Accurate and managable recoil with that Lee bullet. 16gr is exactly 1000fps. I aint tried any faster.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:04 PM   #27
Doodlebugger45

Penetration is absolutely the key. Stick with very hard cast bullets if you really think you will shoot a grizzly. Forget about any JSP or JHP. They all expand and that reduces the penetration. A grizzly's hair, hide, and bones combined with its sheer thickness are all obstacles to penetration.

It's a tricky balancing act between bullet weight and velocity to get max penetration. I have done some experimenting though with my "big" guns to see what gives me the best penetration whether it was shooting into wet newspaper or pine logs. In my unscientific tests, I found that 240-250 gr hard cast bullets pushed to the max with W-296 penetrated the best with the 44 mags I have. The 2400 powder you have will work good too though. When I go to the 454 Casull, I found the 300-325 gr bullets worked the best. And when I went to my .480 Ruger, the hard cast bullets in the 325-355 gr range worked the best.

I am confused about one thing though. You think the cylinder is spinning during firing. Why do you think that? Does it skip a loaded chamber and come to rest on an empty? I don't know if you attributed the skinned palm to the cylinder spin, but I don't see the connection there anyway. My palm doesn't ever contact the cylinder when firing. Granted, I have never fired one of the compact revolvers though, so maybe I don't understand. But I have no doubt that shooting a max load 44 mag with a 300 gr bullet could result in torn palm just from the butt of the grip scraping against your hand.
Old July 28, 2010, 05:47 AM   #28
Elkins45

Quote:
So Elkins, what did you do?
Nothing yet. I've loaded some 240 SWC to test but it's been raining all week. I won a 250 grain Lyman Keith-style SWC mold on eBay that hopefully will come this week. I'll cast some out of linotype and give them a try.

Quote:
I am confused about one thing though. You think the cylinder is spinning during firing. Why do you think that? Does it skip a loaded chamber and come to rest on an empty? I don't know if you attributed the skinned palm to the cylinder spin, but I don't see the connection there anyway.
No connection, both were just presented as evidence that the load had really unmanageable recoil. The torn skin was from the rubber grips sticking to my hand rather than sliding like a slicker substance would have. Recoil absorption only goes so far I guess.

Yes, I think the cylinder skipped over a live round and landed on an empty, unless I absent mindedly advanced it manually and somehow forgot about it.

More testing is required for sure.
Old July 28, 2010, 11:41 AM   #29
publius

I would drop the powder charge back some and I would also get some 250gr. keith bullets and load them up. See which you like better.