The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2001, 05:12 PM   #1
VTR996

.45 Acp In Blackhawk

I have a speer 13 manual & it lists 230gr fmj & hp...it states that these loads are for target use and not at the limit for pressure. Now with the blackhawk able to handle the heavy colt loads,can I up the limit to about 1000fps to 1100fps with a 230gr xtp or 250gr xtp? I have ww231,aa#7,2400,and h110 powders...not afraid to experiment with other powders. Am I wasting time and should just stick with the printed text in my manual or is there another manual that lists loads in that range?
I'm trying to get the acp to hit the same POA as the colt and still be able to shoot whatever critter happens along.
Old December 14, 2001, 12:40 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

This is purely opinion about the use of the two cartridges: I load the .45 Colt up fairly hot, for hunting. I load the .45ACP at my old IPSC deal of 5.8 grains of 231 behind a 200-grain SWC.

This gives me the Dillon-loaded .45ACP for plinking, for eye-finger coordination in practicing. For "serious" work I go to the .45 Colt. I shoot a lot more of the light loads than of the hot stuff.

I figure the sights are too easily adjusted to worry about point of aim. I just change them as I need to...

Again, just $0.02,

Art
Old December 14, 2001, 01:58 AM   #3
Jay Baker

I do exactly what Art Eatman does. That IPSC/IDPA load of 5.8 grs WW231 and the H&G #68 200 gr. semi wadcutter, is a very fine "shooter", and, in a pinch, at around 870 FPS in my B.H., it'll take care of 99% of anything I'd run into.

The B.H. .45 combo is a very versatile handgun.

J.B.
Old December 14, 2001, 09:45 AM   #4
JoeHatley

Here are a few loads for you to look through: http://www.realguns.com/loads/45auto.htm

www.alliantpowder.com also has quite a few .45 acp loads and even a few +P loads.

I've had good luck getting my Blackhawk Convertible shooting to the same point of aim at 25 yards, by using the same bullet weight in both calibers.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old December 15, 2001, 09:18 AM   #5
Desert Dog

The Blackhawk .45 convertible is my platform for shooting .45 Super, which is a 230 moving at a velocity of 1100 to 1300 FPS.

The powder to use is AA#7...

AA#9 is the slowest powder I have been able to use in the .45 ACP case bafore I run out of case capacity.

One thing though, if you are going to play with HOT .45 ACP (Super), go buy you some new Starline .45 Super brass. All my hotloads use them, and only them...

The trick is as someone said above, match bullet weights to match POA...

YMMV,

[ MODERATOR EDIT TEST--
Sorry, but needed to test edit function on another member's posting. This posting has not been changed or edited except for this addition. Thanks--
Johnny Guest
]

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Johnny Guest; December 17, 2001 at 12:17 PM.