The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 18, 2016, 11:41 PM   #1
jski

.30 Carbine Blackhawk v. .327 Fed Mag Blackhawk

Been bantering back and forth with some friends about the merits of the .30 Carbine v. the .327 Fed Mag as pistol rounds. Looking at the data it seems apparent that the .30 Carbine is ballistically superior. Just visit the Hodgdon reloading data website.

With a case capacity of 21 v. 19 gr of H2O, the .30 Carbine simply has more space for more powder. And when you take into consideration the space available after seating comparable bullets, the disparity is even greater.

Hence, we see Buffalo Bore offering .30 Carbine rounds with 125 gr hard cast (BHN 21), gas checked, fat nose bullets --- primarily targeting the Blackhawk community.

One things that seems universally acknowledged is the .30 Carbine Blackhawk is accurate, VERY accurate.

Comments?

To be honest, I must admit, I'm not that experienced with the .327.
Old October 19, 2016, 12:48 AM   #2
Sevens

Both have merits. The .30 Carbine tends to run a rifle bullet. It's blunt and nothing near as svelte as a serious center fire rifle bullet, but it isn't a handgun slug and the .327 runs handgun bullets for sure.

The .30 Carb runs more case capacity and without any doubt a much more sturdy and robust cartridge case. And the 6-shot cylinder of the .30 Carb gives you a tremendous margin of safety.

The .327 however has the luxury of a SAAMI max pressure more than 10% higher at 45k PSI. And the .327 is SO MUCH easier and far, far more enjoyable at the load bench than .30 Carbine could ever hope to be. You do also get those two extra shots in your cylinder, not insignificant. If it matters (sure it does for some...), the .327 Blackhawk is a stainless gun. The .30 Carb is the flat black.

If it's all about ballistics and handloading to get them, the .30 Carbine likely wins. But you'll be lubing brass, fighting the press lever more and then you get the pure, unbridled joy of trimming brass. And the .30 Carbine Blackhawk is ob obnoxiously picky about brass length... to the point where it kinda sucks.
Old October 19, 2016, 02:47 AM   #3
rightside

I believe the 327 magnum is built on the smaller single six frame while the 30 carbine is on a full size Blackhawk frame. I guess it depends on which one you like. The smaller frame would be appealing ,to me anyway.
Old October 19, 2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Sevens

There is a Lipsey's exclusive Single Seven that is built on a small frame, but the 8-shot Blackhawk .327 that was sold a few years back is indeed the big hoss.
Old October 19, 2016, 10:35 AM   #5
mhblaw

I have both, a Single Seven and the 8 shot Blackhawk, and also a Buckeye that I had the 32 Mag cylinder bored out to 327 Mag. I shoot the Seven more often because it is just handier. 32 Caliber on the big frame is overkill in my opinion. Also have an OMBH 30 Carbine that gets used, just not as much. So many choices...
Old October 19, 2016, 01:08 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

The Buffalo Bore stuff is loaded for Carbines not handguns. Over max loads for a hand gun. Way over max for a cast bullet.
Mind you, the Carbine load data for hand guns I have from my Lyman Pistol and Revolver manual is pretty much the same as the data from my regular Lyman book and Hodgdon.
There is no ballistics data on their reloading site. Their .327 velocities are out of a 5" barrel. 7" barrel for their Carbine data. Same load out of a hand gun gives 401 fps less speed. However, velocities alone are not ballistics data.
I think the data in the Lyman handgun manual used a 6" barrel. Not at home to check.
The case capacity of 21 v. 19 gr of H2O is largely irrelevant. The Carbine case is 90 thou longer and nearly 20 thou bigger in diameter.
The other consideration is the availability of ammo. Midway list 7 different .327 loads from 4 makers starting at $26.49 per 50.(Some on sale for less though.). They list 16 different loads for .30 Carbine from 7 makers.
"...It's blunt..." That's from all the unfounded criticism. snicker. A Speer 110 grain HP feeds like hot dam out my Carbine. Been loading 'em with zero fuss for about 40 years.
.327 bullets are the same shape as Carbine bullets too.
Other than all that, it really makes no difference which one you use. It's the one you have that matters.
Old October 19, 2016, 03:36 PM   #7
SaxonPig

The 7.5" BH barrel is way too short to maximize the 30 Carbine round. I get 1400 FPS from mine with factory ammo making 1900 from a rifle. The 327 may be more efficient.
Old October 19, 2016, 05:06 PM   #8
jackmoser65

Go for the Single Seven and don't look back.

Quote:
The 7.5" BH barrel is way too short to maximize the 30 Carbine round.
It's loaded with magnum pistol powder and with regards to velocity, is not unlike all other magnum revolver cartridges. They ALL benefit greatly from rifle barrels but that doesn't make them useless from revolvers.
Old October 19, 2016, 06:01 PM   #9
feets

Pick your poison. They are close enough to interchange for most applications.

The 30 is a bit more labor intensive.

I know the 30 has a reputation for barking loudly but I've never run a 327. Is it just as loud?
Old October 19, 2016, 07:16 PM   #10
saleen322

They are very close. The 327 is designed for higher pressure, 45K MAP v. the 30 carbine at 40K. Factory Federal 327 mag 100 grain SP out of my Blackhawk averages 1607 and the shorter barrel GP100 is 1532. This is ammo that Federal advertises at 1500 FPS so they definitely under promise and over deliver. The most accurate factory 327 ammo I shot was a 120 cast FPGC but it is no longer made or at least I could not find any more. It was around 1.5" @ 25 yards and hit hard too; about 1520 FPS average from the Blackhawk. Never shot it from the GP100.

The 30 carbine is fascinating and the fact that it uses a more conventional 0.308 round would certainly make bullets easier to find.

Gunblast did a test of the 327s some years ago. You can find it at: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-327s.htm
Old October 19, 2016, 08:01 PM   #11
Guv

A 327 gives you a much more versatile revolver, power level wise. 32S&W, 32S&W Long, 32H&R, 327 magnum. The rimmed case also allows crimping.
I wouldn't mind a 10" 30 Carbine barrel for my TC though.
Old October 19, 2016, 11:22 PM   #12
jski

T.O'Heir,

I'm afraid I beg to disagree. I called Buffalo Bore and spoke to Tim's wife, not that I personally know Tim mind you, but regarding the 125 gr hard cast, gas checked, flat nose round, it is very definitely intended for the .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

BTW, from what I was told, the 110 gr jacketed hollow point is on hold till Tim can find the quality bullets he demands for his rounds.

The 125 gr bruisers are ready to go.

Last edited by jski; October 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old October 20, 2016, 09:05 AM   #13
mhblaw

FWIW, I take a 125 gr. Rim Rock SWC .312 and re-size to .309 and load it in my 30 Carbine. Shoots great.
Old October 27, 2016, 12:18 AM   #14
jski

I reload the .30 Carbine and have chosen to start with ALL new brass. Here are the ingredients to my secret recipe for a proper pistol round:

14-15 gr of Hodgdon H110
CCI small mag. rifle primers
115 gr hard cast (BHN 22), gas checked bullets or 110 gr Berry's plated bullets
Starline brass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.JPG (129.9 KB, 58 views)
Old October 28, 2016, 01:21 AM   #15
Nevmavrick

I've carried my BH for over 20 years, and enjoy using it for targets of opportunity.
Where I live, that can be anything from a light-colored rock, pinecone, through coyote and rabbit, to range steer. The latter, I've faced off with, and though haven't used, it is what I had. I felt quite confident that it would get the job done, even if I wished I had my .41 Mag BH instead.
I usually use a Lee 100gr round-nose over a compressed load of 2400, but sometimes use the RCBS 88gr .32Auto bullet sized to .310, with some shotgun powder,ie Red Dot, Green Dot, or 700X.
My Carbine has a 4 5/8" barrel, and I've been known to carry it for quite extended trips in the pickup, or any where I might want to walk or climb.
I use the .32/20 to compare it with, rather than the .327 Mag, but in a little carrying gun there isn't a lot of difference.
I wish it had a rim, but it'll do the job without.
I don't notice any particular difficulty loading it, and the case-length isn't a real problem, though I do trim a bunch from time-to-time.
Usually, I use an alloy of Linotype, but quite a bit of Lyman #2 gets used, too.
Have fun,
Gene
Old October 31, 2016, 11:31 AM   #16
TruthTellers

Whether or not .30 Carbine is ballistically superior to .327 Federal isn't something that I care about. How many revolvers has the .30 Carbine offered in? Not many and only the Blackhawk still stands, but the Blackhawk is not a small revolver and it's only Single Action.

.327 is more modern, there are more revolvers available in .327 from Single Actions to DA/SA to little snubbies.

I say since we're all never going to buy just one more gun, might as well hop on the .327 train because more revolvers will be coming out chambered for that cartridge in the future. .30 Carbine? Pfft, that cartridge was created to feed a carbine to help newly drafted troops, guys who never shot a gun before in their life, during WW2 become as lethal as possible as quickly as possible.

IMO, the .30 Carbine's usefulness died out back in the 60's.
Old November 1, 2016, 12:17 AM   #17
jski

TruthTellers, actually the truth of the matter is that the .30 Carbine cartridge was developed immediately before WWII to replace the .45ACP in most cases. NOT because they needed something to train raw recruits with.

That the .30 Carbine cartridge has superior ballistics is simply factual.
Old November 1, 2016, 12:38 AM   #18
TruthTellers

To be used in a long gun, not a handgun. It was never specifically created to be used in a handgun.

As for the ballistics being factual... yeah factual maybe, but not practical.
Old November 1, 2016, 06:38 AM   #19
A pause for the COZ

This has been brought up before. The 327 is clearly superior in this application.
The 327 mag can pretty much do every thing the 30 carbine can do only with more bullet options. Plus it can do every thing the 30 carbine cant do.

The 327 magnum has way more bullet/ load options. Plus using all the other 32 cal pistol options. Almost unlimited versatility.

With the 30 carbine. You maybe have one or two options. If that the only options you need. then well and good.
Old November 1, 2016, 03:32 PM   #20
fourbore

And the 30 is a rimless round! Not well suited to a revolver any more than those semi auto pistol rounds that can be fired in special cylinders like 9mm or 45 acp in a blackhawk. (far less suitable per the prior excellent post) If you own an M1 carbine, sure. Anyone else, it makes zero sense.
Old November 1, 2016, 06:25 PM   #21
Sevens

Always makes me laugh (in a genuine condescending manner) when folks talk about what does and does not "make sense."

.45 ACP chambered revolvers made a helluva lot of sense when they arrived on the scene in a very necessary fashion and long afterward have made a ridiculous name for themselves in competition revolver shooting.

Likewise, Ruger has made a PILE of money over decades by offering a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, brought to the market specifically because tons of milsurp ammo was cheap and available and when you put them together, it just works, whether or not some armchair forum warrior believes it to be so.

The .30 Carbine Blackhawk -- brought to market by Ruger even before a Blackhawk in .45 Colt.
Old November 2, 2016, 12:46 AM   #22
jski

COZ, "The 327 magnum has way more bullet/ load options."

You've got to be kidding? The .30 Carbine is an .308 bullet. The assortment of bullets available far exceeds what is available in .312 !

I can go to any of the umpteen makers of cast bullets and choose from a WIDE variety of bullets. I can go to Berry's and select plated bullets there. And on and on and on ...
Old November 2, 2016, 02:13 AM   #23
TMD

Quote:
You've got to be kidding? The .30 Carbine is an .308 bullet. The assortment of bullets available far exceeds what is available in .312 !

I can go to any of the umpteen makers of cast bullets and choose from a WIDE variety of bullets. I can go to Berry's and select plated bullets there. And on and on and on ...
You left out one little detail. There's not enough room in the .30 carbines case to fit those UMPTEEN different bullets and enough powder to get any sort of decent velocity while still keeping the COL short enough to chamber them. Your pretty much limited to the 100-110g range.
Old November 2, 2016, 05:55 AM   #24
A pause for the COZ

Hey dont get me wrong. I never said I would not buy a BH in 30 carbine.
If one got put in front of me. I might just have to buy it.

But since I also dont have BH in 327 magnum. ( I have a SP101, Single7, and a Taurus M327)
If both got put in front of me and I could only buy one.( I would sell something to get both) It would be the BH in 327 magnum.
But I am Biased some what.
Old November 2, 2016, 06:22 AM   #25
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore
If you own an M1 carbine, sure. Anyone else, it makes zero sense.
Cheapest .30 Carbine ammo on Ammoseek is 23 cents each. Cheapest 327 Mag is almost twice as much (43 cents each).

Why doesn't it make sense to shoot a more powerful round for half the price?