The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1
69sleeper

new to the site

Hello all need some input on what type of semi automatic I should purchase, I will be using it for conceal carry and home defense. Ive been looking at everything under the rainbow. any and all help would be nice.

Last edited by 69sleeper; March 12, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Welcome to the forum.
There is sure to be plenty of information, and sugestions for you to sort through. Some based on personal preference, and some based on any general information about yourself you care to share.
One very helpful tool in making the decision would be actually trying examples of guns you have an interest in. I don't know If they are available in your area, but many gun shop/ranges rent guns. The cost: is well worth it once you narrow your choices some. If no rentals are available, maybe you have friends with guns you can try.
Some information that might be helpful n getting good suggestions are.
1. Your experience with firearms.
2. Your size, or stature.
3. Your ability to handoe recoil from a firearm.
4. If you have any preference as to brand of firearm.
5. Your budget for the purpose.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 12, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3
BoogieMan

Welcome to the forum.
I know what I would buy, but you are going to have to decide for yourself. Stick with anything name brand and you should be fine. Ruger, Sig, Colt, Kimber, etc...
If your going to carry think about where on your person you plan to carry. Some pistols may be dificult to conceal in some fashions. And lastly after you decide what you want, it will likely not be available at any store because nearly everything is sold out.
I would suggest you go to your local gun store and handle as many as possible. For self defense dont go smaller than 9mm, 40 is best bang for the buck IMO.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 12, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4
69sleeper

I have been around guns my whole life growing up but I'm new to the conceal carry, I qualified with a s&w 40cal and did very well, I do like the Ruger P95 or the Glock 23
Old March 12, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5
loose_holster_dan

budget is key. look at my signature line for some of my favorites.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Live Free

welcome and good luck

Welcome aboard sleeper.

Ask yourself several questions which will help guide your decision.

1) Do you have a caliber preference? If so what is it and why? If you ask that question here you are likely to start a caliber war over which is better in which circumstance. It has been asked and answered many times already. Use the search and look it up.

2) Do you have a size preference? Sub compact, compact, full sized? Don't limit your thinking that a conceal carry must be a micro compact. For you that may be the case, but others have illustrated that is possible for an average sized male (say 5.10, 180lbs) to carry a full sized 1911 or Sig Sauer concealed.

3) Do you have a design preference? Hammer Vs Striker fire? Single Vs Double Action? Steel/Alloy Vs Polymer frame? Another debate can easily be started, many have occurred here already. There is no right or wrong, however you may be more comfortable with some than others. Another consideration on design is the type of safety mechanisms on the weapons, they vary considerably and they may affect your decision to carry the weapon. I stated carrying without a round chambered because my CCW did not have trigger safety. My views on "what safe is" changed over time and I now have zero problem carrying with a round chambered.

Good luck with your decision.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Good CC/home protection pistols...

For concealed carry or home defense, I'd check into these brands/styles:

Beretta PX4 C format .40 or 9x19mm, SIG Sauer DAK(Double Action Kellerman) in P224, P226R, P229R, P290RS(with laser aimer), P239 SAS.
The HK P-30 or P2000 LEM(law enforcement modification), the Walther PPX in .40S&W or 9x19mm, the Ruger SR40compact or SR9compact.
For regular carry or defense I'd buy a .357sig caliber but the .40S&W or 9mm Luger(9x19mm) will do fine.
Always carry or load factory made rounds, no hand loads or reloaded ammunition.
Lasers, white lights(1913 rails) etc are good but not a requirement. I would highly suggest buying 3 dot night sights for the carry pistol. Trijicon HDs are worth checking. I'd avoid the fiber optic lines but a few gun owners/tactics instructors like them.

CF
www.shopcorbon.com www.natchezss.com www.galls.com www.lasermax.com www.crimsontrace.com www.gunsamerica.com www.berettausa.com www.grafs.com www.brownells.com
Old March 13, 2013, 01:53 PM   #8
SauerGrapes

Budget would be extremely helpful.
There are a wide range of capable handguns to cover both as you have found out.
My preference is a pistol with a 4'' barrel. [give or take a 1\4''] I like all steel guns. Most guys a content with polymer pistols. I do have 2 polymer handguns.Depending on the manufacturer, these would be considered a compact or full size.
Night sites are something to consider, but certainly not a deal breaker.
Keep it simple, buy a 9mm. The ammo is affordable and readily available. [Yeah, I know, where?]

Pistols I will consider: [no particular order]
Glock
Beretta
Sig Sauer
H&K
Springfield
S&W
Kahr
Walther
Colt
If on a tight budget, Ruger is probably my choice due their good track record for cust. service.
Don't be sucked in by companies offering ''lifetime'' warranties. Some are very good at fixing a problem, some aren't.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 13, 2013, 02:13 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
need some input on what type of semi automatic I should purchase
There's still time to get out if you run!

In all seriousness more background info will help.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 13, 2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Skitter

Quote:
Welcome aboard sleeper.

Ask yourself several questions which will help guide your decision.

1) Do you have a caliber preference? If so what is it and why? If you ask that question here you are likely to start a caliber war over which is better in which circumstance. It has been asked and answered many times already. Use the search and look it up.

2) Do you have a size preference? Sub compact, compact, full sized? Don't limit your thinking that a conceal carry must be a micro compact. For you that may be the case, but others have illustrated that is possible for an average sized male (say 5.10, 180lbs) to carry a full sized 1911 or Sig Sauer concealed.

3) Do you have a design preference? Hammer Vs Striker fire? Single Vs Double Action? Steel/Alloy Vs Polymer frame? Another debate can easily be started, many have occurred here already. There is no right or wrong, however you may be more comfortable with some than others. Another consideration on design is the type of safety mechanisms on the weapons, they vary considerably and they may affect your decision to carry the weapon. I stated carrying without a round chambered because my CCW did not have trigger safety. My views on "what safe is" changed over time and I now have zero problem carrying with a round chambered.

Good luck with your decision.
Live Free, thanks for #2!

I have a full sized Stoeger Cougar 8040 and I was questioning whether I would be able to concealed carry is at 5'8" and 180lbs That lets me know it's possible

As to the OP I have as stated a Stoeger Cougar 8040F and while I am relatively new to this pistol I could not be happier with it. It's a Beretta at -$200 less. Same factory tooling, Beretta just shipped all their stuff to Stoeger in Turkey since they didn't want to make it anymore.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Live Free

Follow Texas CHL forum ?

Skitter,

I notice you are from Texas, do you also follow the Texas CHL forum? Here is a recent thread titled, "medium frame adult concealing full sized weapon?"

One particular issue to note in the thread is the topic of a good gun belt. I agree with this point, if you are going to carry in a holster, get your self 1 or more good gun belts. A good holster is important, but its the belt that will support the weight. I like belts from the beltman. This is not a paid endorsement, I have no stake in the game, I just like his belts. I only wear gun belts now, got rid of all my old crappy belts. When wearing business suits, I wear a gun belt. When wearing shorts, I wear a gun belt...

Last edited by Live Free; March 15, 2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: additional note added
Old March 15, 2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Skitter

Live Free, I live in Texas, I already wear a thick leather belt
Old March 15, 2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Skitter

Now that I read the thread I see your point Thick isn't always better, but I would assume at this point what I wear is good.