The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1
ArmyWarrior

80 GR A-MAX Hornady .224

80 GR A-MAX Hornady .224
Anyone here ever loaded these for an M4?, if so what powder did you use and what was your results, thanks.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:38 PM   #2
ArmyWarrior

Bump.
Old February 15, 2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Tim R

I have not loaded this bullet, however I have loaded a bunch of 80 gr. SMK's. These are not meant to be loaded to mag lenght and are shot one at a time at 600 yard slow fire. I set my 80 gr. Match Kings to be .015 off the lands. If I do my part they shoot very well. You will need a twist rate some what close to 7 to 1 to get them to shoot.

For Powder, I use Reloder 15 with a Rem 7 1/2 primer in a Lake City case.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4
hagar

If you want to use them as a single shot, go ahead. Do not load them to magazine length. I use 24 grains of RL15 and loaded to 2.45 oal for my NM AR, which is probably too stiff a load for an M4.
Old February 16, 2010, 04:57 PM   #5
88KEYS

Match Loads

If you load them, like others have pointed out they are for 600 yard shooting and be very careful with the OAL, if they are long will get jammed up in the rifle. I have been loading a long time, but just started shooting high power and this match loading with heavy bullets in the 223 is new for me. I just started with 77 grain Noslers and have purchased many others to try, 68,69,75, again the length is important. I would suggest using one of the tools for checking the OAL with a certain bullet.
I was shooting at 600 with my M1A my club requires a class and live fire for new shooters past 300 on our 600 yard range. The M1A did great and found this 600 yard shooting was the most exciting, challenging shooting that I have ever done.

That day a guy had a M4 and was shooting 55 grain factory loads and it did not get him on the target. One other shooter kindly offered some of his 75 grain Match loads. The guy loaded them and slammed the bolt forward and his gun was jammed up tight! The bullets were long and it took several people to get the action open.