The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 26, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Lavid2002

$138 bucks to shoot a deer in MI! Why?

Hi guys! Im an avid duck hunter for a while now....but im a deer virgin. Hoping to shoot my first buck this fall! Anyways im 17 years old. I have an uncle in MI that will teach me how to hunt, as well as get me my first buck! However....I need to save up for a plane ticket and deer tag. Plane ticket...alright....but, when I go to get my deer tag info I found this
10-16 yr old OUT OF STATE-15$
17 or older OUT OF STATE-138$!!!!!!
One hundred and thirty eight dollar jump from fiveteen dollars! Im 17 and I think this is NUTS. Evil canevil couldnt have made that leap! (Funny line from a comedian)
I just wanted to ask...what the hecks the deal? Why so much?
Thanks guys
-Dave
Old July 26, 2008, 06:39 PM   #2
freakshow10mm

Welcome to the world of non-resident hunting. It's like that in a lot of states.
Old July 26, 2008, 06:44 PM   #3
zoomie

I think it's a way of controlling who comes to hunt. Kids hunting helps everyone - the more the better. So their licenses are cheap. If they were equal to adults, Dad might go and leave Jr at home and that's not what they're trying to do.

But they want the prices high for adult hunters to keep the locals from getting crowded out. It's a tariff of sorts. When I lived in a state popular with non-residents, I was glad we had high non-resident fees. It was my backyard, not theirs.
Old July 26, 2008, 06:45 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The 16 and under rate is based on 2 plans... One is daddy likely buys a 138 dollar tag for himself and the more important is an incentive to make it affordable to include kids which helps the sport of hunting...
Brent
Old July 26, 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Welcome to the world of non-resident hunting.
It never gets better either. Look at it this way, at least the money goes for a worth while cause.
Old July 26, 2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Lavid2002

But......

I dont wana grow up
hahahaha
I guess the state of MI thinks of me as an adult now...even though im not 18?

Good point-"at least its going to a good cause"
Old July 26, 2008, 07:37 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

As long as you wear yer snoopy big boy under roos you won't grow up...
Brent
Old July 26, 2008, 07:48 PM   #8
Redneckrepairs

If you honestly belive that price is out of line i give my permission ( pm me with details ) for you to attempt to get an our of state licence here in colorado . pm me not because it will cheap things for you , and not because colorado cares who i am related to , but because because if you bitch high enough i at least want to know your real name if and when i get a call .
Old July 26, 2008, 08:15 PM   #9
Lavid2002

Quote:
As long as you wear yer snoopy big boy under roos you won't grow up...
Brent
If I present them to fish and wildlife think theyll meet me in the middle at 65ish? :P
Old July 26, 2008, 09:25 PM   #10
langenc

States have found that NRs are cash cows.
Old July 26, 2008, 09:44 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Too bad you can't let your uncle take the shot to save money and just go along to learn. At least as far as Michigan state representatives are concerned.

You probably also need a non-resident hunting license.
Old July 27, 2008, 01:21 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...Welcome to the world of non-resident hunting..." Yep. Non-residents always pay more. No kiss, no dinner or sweet nothings whispered in your ear either.
Up here, in Ontario, a non-resident deer licence is $186.54Cdn for bucks only, $373.09Cdn for moose and you have to pay $25Cdn to bring a hunting rifle into the country.
"...I dont wanna grow up..." You don't have to age, but you can't fix growing older. I've been 26 and some months for 4 years now. 25 and some months for 25 birthdays prior to that. Doesn't help a bit in the morning.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:09 AM   #13
ojibweindian

$138 for an out of state liscense? That's pretty darn cheap, assuming it a season-long liscense.

Here in Alabama, a full season out of state liscense is $275. A 10 day liscense is $170, and a weekend liscense is $120. That doesn't include the cost of the WMA permit fees.

In Tennessee, a season-long non-resident liscense costs $250. So, I think $138 bucks for a liscense isn't too bad.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:31 AM   #14
fisherman66

Cheap is right. Many state charge multiples of that price for a tiny window of opportunity.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:51 AM   #15
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavid2002
....$138 bucks to shoot a deer in MI! Why?.....I think this is NUTS. Evil canevil couldnt have made that leap!.....Why so much?
Clear you haven't hunted much out of state...$138 is dirt cheap. Here in Iowa it'll cost you over $300. Be grateful you're not going after Elk or Moose...some states get $400-750 per tag. I think many DNR's have shot themselves in the foot by chasing away entry level hunters.

Try non-resident Colorado sometime....

Elk (bull, either sex) $526.00
Elk (cow) $251.00
Deer (buck or doe) $316.00
Pronghorn (buck or doe) $316.00
Bear $251.00
Youth Big Game (deer, elk, pronghorn) $100.75
Mountain Goat $1,761.00
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep $1,761.00
Desert Bighorn Sheep Not available
Moose $1,761.00
Old July 27, 2008, 02:00 PM   #16
Lavid2002

Quote:
Moose $1,761.00
......Dont miss
Old July 27, 2008, 02:25 PM   #17
bclark1

Wisconsin's $160 each season, one gun buck tag, one archery buck tag. Doesn't matter if you own land or anything - if you don't have that WI driver's license, you are nothing but dollar signs. Ohio's a little better, I still haven't changed my license, but having a mailing address is all you need.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:53 PM   #18
crowbeaner

I won't even try to explain NY prices. I'll sum it up in one word: democrats.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:51 AM   #19
elkman06

$138 for deer? I paid that much to OOS hunt pigs in Kali. I appreciate your position though. Sometimes things just cost too much. While everyone is complaining about the prices, as someone said, OOSr's have become the new cash cow for some states. Wyoming is certainly that way. On the other hand there is a lot of catering to the out of staters too.They have a guaranteed percentage of our licenses. There are specific seasons catered toward someone being outfitted on a hunt, etc. Since the Wyo G&F is run by the ranchers/outfitters it will remain this way. Only public backlash has held the line on license percentages. Be Happy.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 28, 2008, 05:47 PM   #20
Jack O'Conner

Many states now have reciprocal pricing. In other words, you pay same to hunt in their state as if one of them wants to hunt in your state. Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia are just some of the states that have these laws in place.

Want a real shocker? Find out how much non-residents pay to hunt deer or bear in California.

Jack
Old July 30, 2008, 10:32 AM   #21
NRA4life

That's as cheap a NR tag as you're probably going to find throughout the country. Just wait until you want to come west and Mule Deer or Elk hunt.
Old July 30, 2008, 10:39 AM   #22
JP Sarte

In the famous words of Gordon Gecko "greed is good". I have complained about this for years to no avail. Michigan, like many state governments, is simply greedy. Think about this: if Michigan lowered the non-resident fee from $138.00 to say $50.00 you would see a huge influx hunters, and a corresponding decrease in the deer population. The overall deer herd would healthier, the state gets almost free revenue, and the whole Michigan economy benefits the most. People buy guns, ammunition, food, they pay for lodging, booze, etc. Everybody wins.

Wait a minute that is logical. That might work. "Won't even consider it. Ever other state in the region has their out of state fees that high. We have to do it also. We just have to".

Pure nonsense. But that is what I have come to expect from government.

In the end the license fees are almost pure profit anyway regardless of resident status. The DNR does not feed these animals, does not water these animals, does not provide medical care for these animals. They do a minor amount of academic study and monitoring and even less law enforcement. I have to wonder why resident tags cost so much (going up by the way).

Comparisons to other states are worthless. They are all too high.

Like cutting your nose off despite your face.

JP
Old July 30, 2008, 09:59 PM   #23
Desertfox

Oklahoma Out of State lisence and 1 deer tag (must specify rifle, muzzleloader or archery) $250.00

The opportunity to cash in on out of state hunters........priceless!

For years, Kansas residents couldn't buy Oklahoma OOS lisences and visa-versa. Border spat I guess. Not that way now.
Old July 31, 2008, 03:05 PM   #24
taylorce1

Quote:
People buy guns, ammunition, food, they pay for lodging, booze, etc. Everybody wins.

Pure nonsense. But that is what I have come to expect from government.

In the end the license fees are almost pure profit anyway regardless of resident status. The DNR does not feed these animals, does not water these animals, does not provide medical care for these animals. They do a minor amount of academic study and monitoring and even less law enforcement. I have to wonder why resident tags cost so much (going up by the way).
I don't know of any time that a Non-Resident hunter ever bought a gun after they got to the State they would be hunting in, but I guess it has probably happened a couple of times. Plus the booze is something that I've seen in many of Elk camps that could be done without by NR hunter as well as Residents. I mean it is flat scary at times when hunting public lands here in CO the amount of hunters in the woods that is why I appreciate the higher NR hunting fees.

As far a pure nonsense by local Government, sure it is a Gov agency but most of CO DOW's revenue comes from the issuing of hunting and fishing licenses and fines as well as a few other fees. For the most part I think the DOW does a decent job of managing the wildlife population here in CO. Plus they do feed the animals if necessary during winter months or during a drought as well as make improvements in water supplies for game animals, of course I'm only speaking for Colorado as I don't hunt very much out of State.

The reason Resident fees are on the increase as well is just the cost of doing business. As everything else cost more and the dollar looses value, the cost of wildlife management goes up as well. Unfortunately the cost is always passed on to the consumer or in this case the hunter.

I just realize that it costs a lot to hunt anymore and budget accordingly. I'll probably cut out a lot of my traveling to hunt and just be satisfied with hunting closer to home. I would like to make at least one more trip to AK though in the near future.
Old August 1, 2008, 08:42 AM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In general, wildlife agencies are desparate for money. They're way down on the priority totem pole for most legislatures. At the same time, they're under more and more public pressure, whether from hunters or song-bird lovers.

"Everybody wants me to Do Something, but nobody wants to pay me to do it."

As for the western states, they're generally of lower populations and have been of lower average incomes. Non-resident hunters, with generally more money, were beginning to outnumber and outkill the residents. So, the pricing structure differential began. The reasoning makes sense, although I think they've gone too far with it. They still get customers, though. However, like anything, folks with money live better than folks with little money. Some things never change.

Some facts of life do indeed provide incentives, don't they?

Art