The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 22, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1
jdscholer

RCBS Jr. for rifle cartridges

Has anyone out there used an RCBS Jr. press for reloading rifle-- specifically .308 WIN or such. I've got a couple of them, and use one for single stage pistol loading, but have always used my Rockchucker for rifle.
Was talking to a young guy today who was interested in getting started loading for his .308, and told him I would sell him my extra Jr. press for cheap. Then got to thinking bout full length sizing the larger cartridges. I hate to start a guy off with a bad experience. Our hobby is sposed to be fun.
I would appreciate a holler back from anybody who has sperience. jd
Old July 22, 2008, 08:12 PM   #2
crowbeaner

I have 2 of them, and they do ALL my rifle loads except the .223. I load them on the Dillon. I stick one die in one and the other in #2. Yeah, I have to have 2 shellholders, but the #3 does so many it works out. IF I ever break or wear one out I might get a Rockchucker, but one of them is 35 years old, and I have no idea how old #2 is; I bought it on fleabay. They work for me, and I know that RCBS will keep them working for the foreseeable future.
Old July 22, 2008, 08:57 PM   #3
jdscholer

After reading about your two press meathod, I wonder if I should get rid of one of mine. I've still got my Rockchucker though. Also an old Lyman-Spartin I believe, that I've never tried.
Talking to this kid today, I spouted off that he could probably get started for ariound $200 bucks if he shopped around. I don't think I'm too far off. I started back in "74" for $9.95 in equipment, and about 20 bucks or less in components, and started pounding together some very accurate 243 Win. shells. I still have that old Lee Loader, and if the apocalypse happens and I have to travel light, who knows-- maybe it will come in handy again. jd
Old July 22, 2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Don2

RCBS Jr. press

I load 30-30 and 30-06 on the one I have with no problems.
I have several presses, and this one just keeps on pressing chunks of lead into tubes of brass :-)

Don2