The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2008, 10:55 PM   #1
ctulanko

Problem sizing rifle cases

I am having a problem with sizing rifle casings. I have tried both 30-30 and 444 and every time I run the casing into the die, they extract with a dimple in the side of the case running lengthwise and about 3/8" long. The dies have not been used for a while, but are in excellent condition and one set is RCBS and the other is CH brand. On the 444, the indent is about 1/2" down below the neck, while the 30-30's are just below the shoulder. The press appears to be running them up straight and I am using RCBS case lube and pad for the casings. I have tried with and without the extractor and it doesn't make a difference.

I mic'ed the 30-30's and they are dead on in length and shoulder position, according to the books, with a length varying from 2.030" to 2.035" and sizing to 2.040 inches, so I don't think they are too long. Also, they have only been reloaded from never to twice max, so they haven't stretched much. Lube was removed from the shoulder on the 30-30 casings to make sure that was not the problem, but it didn't make a difference.

Each die is set to bottom out on the press with a full throw of the arm. If I back the die away 1/16" or so, they size without dimpling, but I am not sure the neck is completly sizing properly, nor the base of the casing. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am in a spot and have several hundred rounds to load. This problem is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Carl
Old July 18, 2008, 11:34 PM   #2
snuffy

Quote:
I have tried with and without the extractor and it doesn't make a difference.
HUH?

Too much lube. Clean out your dies thoroughly, then get rid of the excess lube you apparently have on your pad. You should only have a light film on the pad, that transfers an even lighter film onto your cases.

Go ahead and load those dimpled cases. The dimples will be totally gone from the pressure of firing. It's about the only way to get rid of them, it won't hurt a thing.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 18, 2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Sidetracked

What brand dies are you using?
Old July 19, 2008, 01:43 AM   #4
Sport45

ctulanko - Welcome to The Firing Line.

What you describe sounds like lube dents to me to although mine are usually on the shoulder. Make sure the dies are clean and like snuffy said, use less lube.

Are you calling the decapping pin the extractor? If so you ned to put it back in the die. The die will undersize the neck which is then brough back to the proper size by the expander button on the decapping pin when it is pulled back through. The expander button should be down in the open area of the die and not up in the neck sizing area.
Old July 19, 2008, 03:55 AM   #5
Ifishsum

Dimples are almost always from using too much lube. I lightly lube only the bottom 1/2 of the case and sometimes the mouth but keep the lube away from the shoulder area. cleaning your dies may help too - there's likely a bunch of lube from other cases in there
Old July 19, 2008, 06:24 AM   #6
Martyn4802

ctulanko,

Welcome aboard!!!!

I think the guys above have nailed your problem; too much lube on the cases.
I use Imperial Sizing Wax on the lower half of the case only so that I don't get any of it up in the die where dimples will arise, especially on the shoulder area.
For the case necks, I just dip the upper half of neck of the unsized case in some powdered graphite so it runs smoothly thru the die.
Over lubing is a concern in sizing cases. Just a little dab all the way around the bottom half of the case will do ya.
Old July 19, 2008, 10:29 AM   #7
ryalred

As nearly everyone has stated, it sounds like too much lube. If you continue to have problems getting too much lube, you might try a spray on lube, seems they're not as prone to getting too much. I switched to Hornady One Shot spray lube about a year ago and really like it. There are other brands of spray lubes to check out as well.
reloading -- addicted
Old July 20, 2008, 12:41 PM   #8
ctulanko

Thanks for the warm welcome guys...I am sure glad I found this forum! Well, as you all suspected I was using way too much lube on the casings. It had been a long time since I loaded up long rifle (20 years), so the help and brain refresh was much appreciated. As soon as I scraped the pad off, then did a light lube, I was back in business. I have finished both calibers and am getting ready to load them. Thanks again to all who stepped in and helped!
Old July 20, 2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Martyn4802

ctulanko,

Good job, hang in there, and if you have any questions, ask away. It's far better asking questions BEFORE you screw up..
Old July 20, 2008, 01:45 PM   #10
W. C. Quantrill

Make sure you clean the inside of your dies good with some solvent and a soft brush. Take them apart and clean them then reset them. Once you have them loaded, it is a good idea to clean the excess lube off the outside of the cases also, as that will prevent excess stretching when fired in the chamber.
Old July 21, 2008, 05:45 PM   #11
ctulanko

W.C.

Thanks for the tip...that is something I did to all the dies before using them. I disassembled them, then used Acetone and got them squeaky clean before use. I am pretty set in my ways about doing rifle rounds, so keeping them clean is a big thing with me. I tumble the brass to a shine, then size them, wipe the lube off each round, re-tumble them to get em shiny again, then wipe the cleaning dust off the brass and clean out the primer pockets before loading. It's kinda like a ritual and I have fun doing it.

Thanks again guys...I look forward to having a good time here! Oh, and I have no problem asking questions...I am shy like that!
Old July 22, 2008, 03:53 AM   #12
butta9999

yes clean the lube after sizing, as well as oil out of the chamber. When fired the case needs to grip the chamber so it all needs to be free of lubricants. It will cause excessive force on the rear of your action.
Old July 22, 2008, 04:55 PM   #13
gunney 67

welcome aboard! Remember to check your case length every couple of reloadings. the case necks will stretch and need to be trimmed back to spec dimensions or you risk pinching the bullet between the case neck and end of chamber at the rifling leades, which will jump pressures to dangerous levels quickly.
Old July 23, 2008, 10:05 AM   #14
ctulanko

That I will do gunny...I have a couple of industrial grade dial calipers I use to check them and the last resizing put them right at the speced length in my old Hornady book...I think it was like 2.040" in length. I am thinking I should get a new book though so I can check out the newest data, as mine is quite old...third edition from 1980 and I also have the smaller second edition from 1973.
Old July 23, 2008, 03:04 PM   #15
gunney 67

respond to ctulanko

my lyman case length manual lists max length for 30-30 as 2.039; trim back .010 to 2.029" 444marlin is 2.225; trim back to2.220" You may be over lubing the cases. the most critical area for lube is the bottom half of the cartridge case, since this is where the max taper is. this also avoids the problem of lube migrating into the shoulder area of the die and causing dimples in the case. you can tell if you need more lube by feeling the case go into the die. if it seems too hard pull it and add more lube, don't risk a stuck case. also, lube the inside of the case mouth to ease the expander ball as it passes thru. this helps with minimizing case neck stretching. white graphite works best, but you can use lite grease. I wipe it back out afterwards with a Q-tip so it doesn't affect bullet tension in the case neck. If you full-length size, the die should just kiss the top of the shell holder, if you want to neck size only, back the die off about the thickness of a nickel. also I always measure for case length after I size, since this process can cause them to grow a few thousandths Case length is critical, watch it closely.
Old July 23, 2008, 04:05 PM   #16
gunney 67

further on case lube

watch contaminating your primers with case lube on your fingers. if it gets on the priming compound, it can render the primer inert. same goes for gun oil. another reason not to over lube a handgun. oil can migrate down the firing pin when carried in a holster and wick around the primer under it and cause a misfire. embarassing if your just plinking, but it can have more serious consequences if you're betting your life on that round.
Old July 23, 2008, 11:48 PM   #17
snuffy

Quote:
watch contaminating your primers with case lube on your fingers. if it gets on the priming compound, it can render the primer inert. same goes for gun oil. another reason not to over lube a handgun. oil can migrate down the firing pin when carried in a holster and wick around the primer under it and cause a misfire. embarrassing if your just plinking, but it can have more serious consequences if you're betting your life on that round.
No it won't. Neither will case lube. It has been tested again and again that nothing will completely de-activate a primer, other than a harsh solvent. At least not primers we have available these days.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 24, 2008, 10:58 AM   #18
gunney 67

reply to snuffy

I stand corrected on that old wives tale.
Old July 24, 2008, 12:08 PM   #19
ctulanko

Priming won't be a problem gunney 97...cases are not primed until they are sized, wiped off, re-tumbled / polished, wiped down again and pockets cleaned. Like I said, I am pretty picky about the system I use. In addition, I use a primer auto feed tube, so I never actually have to touch the primers, which is a good thing in itself.