The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2009, 06:52 PM   #1
yggorf

What OAL for .45 ACP?

I am using Hornady XTP Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 185 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point bullets currently loaded to 1.15 OAL. However, I am seeing some failure to feed problems with these. In talking to one gunsmith, he advised I load these to 1.25 OAL -- is that a wise move?
Old November 22, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You can try it. If the bullet is still grasped by the brass well-enough, it should be OK. Seating out lowers pressure, where seating deeper raises it, so you are going in the safer direction. Did you inquire about getting your gun modified to feed wide blunt shapes better? I don't know what your gun is, so I don't know if that's a practical consideration or not? Sometimes the magazine feed lips can be modified for more reliable feed, too.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 22, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Kyo

well, your manual will tell you mix/max of AOL. usually the max is 1.275 anyway. 1.15 feels short to me.
I load my 185 grain LSWC to 1.230-1.240
My dad's flat point FMJ's are also 185 and I load them to 1.22x-1.22x
Feeds fine in both our guns. Shoots fine too
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Hornady's 7th edition lists the 185 Grain HP-XTP #45100 A C.O.L of 1.23.
Go with the book numbers.
Old November 22, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Mark whiz

I load all my .45ACP XTPs (185,200, & 230gr) at 1.245" for 100% reliable feeding in my Springer GI 1911-A1.
!
Old November 22, 2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Tuzo

Sierra lists 1.212" for 185 JHP and Lyman lists 1.175." You are not too far off Lyman's specification. My preference is Sierra's 1.212" COAL.

Good luck.
Old November 22, 2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Blue

OAL

Try 1.20 first and see how they feed. If still having problems go to book OAL of 1.23.

Are you guaging with your barrel to see if they are fitting ok?

If still having feed problems even with Book OAL then you might try the Lee FCD to uniform them. Could be something else in your process causing the problem. The FCD will make sure there are no bulges as cartridge is removed from the die after taper crimp is applied.

Let us know how it goes and what you find.

I haven't had this problem but I use 200 gr gold dots and 230gr fmj almost exclusively.

BTW - where did you get the 1.15 you are using now?

Best advice would be to stick to MFR Book value and check out your process further. Might even want to polish your chamber and ramp with JB bore paste.

Last edited by Blue; November 22, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:30 AM   #8
darkgael

OAL

Not a lead bullet, I load Remington Match JSWCs to 1.150". Over 4.0 grains of Bullseye, they work just fine.
Pete
Old November 23, 2009, 10:29 AM   #9
Walkalong

Quote:
Hornady's 7th edition lists the 185 Grain HP-XTP #45100 A C.O.L of 1.23.
The factory ones I had all measured between 1.230 and 1.235. Most were in the middle somwhere. That feeds great in my guns with any weight XTP bullet.
Old November 30, 2009, 05:54 PM   #10
yggorf

I tried seating the Hornady's (mentioned at the top of the thread) to 1.25. When I chambered these, the round got stuck in the chamber with the slide not completely forward. I had to push the slide against a wooden table to get it to release (hand pressure alone would not budge it). When the case was ejected doing this, the bullet stayed lodged in the chamber, so I had to knock that out also.

I then tried 1.20 and got a similar result, but the slide didn't stick quite as bad and the bullet stayed in the case on forced ejection. So I went to 1.19, and things worked fine.

So, although I now have rounds that function correctly, I am wondering why all the books say 1.25 should be OK? Is there some other problem I am having that prevents a normal length round from working?
Old November 30, 2009, 06:41 PM   #11
tom234

I always shoot for 1.250" OAL. Never had a problem.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:56 PM   #12
QBall45

2 thoughts come to mind.

1. 1.15 oal sounds like a minimum oal. I would take your gun smiths recommendation and start stretching them out a bit. I would not make the jump directly to 1.25. I would work up till I found an oal that feeds reliably. I use 1.20-1.22 with my 200gr lswc cast in a lee TL mould. Play with it like you would make adjustments in finding the right powder charge.

2. The mag. Does the failure to feed problem happen with just 1 mag or all your mags? Any trouble feeding FMJ's?

My guess is that its the OAL. Too short to feed reliable like your smith said.

Good luck, its frustrating when things won't work the way you want. I think this one should be fairly easy for you to fix.
Old November 30, 2009, 10:22 PM   #13
JASmith

YGGORF described something very close to my own experience. His main comment: "I tried seating the Hornady's (mentioned at the top of the thread) to 1.25. When I chambered these, the round got stuck in the chamber with the slide not completely forward. I had to push the slide against a wooden table to get it to release (hand pressure alone would not budge it). When the case was ejected doing this, the bullet stayed lodged in the chamber, so I had to knock that out also.

I then tried 1.20 and got a similar result, but the slide didn't stick quite as bad and the bullet stayed in the case on forced ejection. So I went to 1.19, and things worked fine."

I had a similar experience when my son's 1911 was fitted with a target barrel, the tighter dimensions resulted previously reliable loads having the same symptoms as he described. When I recovered the bullet that was stuck in the chamber, I discovered that rifling marks had been engraved on the shoulder of the bullet!

After looking carefully at commercial rounds, I noted that they almost all had only about .05" of shoulder forward of the case mouth.

I have since set the OAL so that I have about this much shoulder exposed. Go much deeper and the case mouth doesn't have enough support and I get feeding jams.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:22 AM   #14
wncchester

Forget book OAL, is isn't a law any more than the powder charges are.

Most handgun bullets that need be crimped, and some that don't, have a crimping groove. Seat so you can crimp in that groove, try it for function and chambering. If it works, it's good.