The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
gregjc9

Input on these loads

I've been going through the Hornady, Speer, Lyman's load manuals, as well as Hodgon's data online, and have come up with the following loads for 45ACP and 9mm. I'm new to reloading, and will begin loading after Xmas, so I'm trying to get my collective ducks in a row now. I already have the bullets, primers, and cases, just needed to settle on the powder. Since I'll be reloading for both calibers, it appears from the Hornady manual Power Pistol should be a good powder for both. Starting out I would like to keep things simple and stay with one powder, at least for now.

Here's the data I came up with.

45ACP
Bullet - 200gr TMJ RN
COL - 1.230"
Powder - Power Pistol, 6.9 gr start charge, .4gr increments, 8.5 max charge

9mm
Bullet - 115gr TMJ RN
COL - 1.135"
Powder - Power Pistol, 4.8gr start charge, .4 gr increments, 6.7 max charge

Greg
Old November 30, 2009, 05:16 PM   #2
gregjc9

No input? So I guess they should be ok.

Greg
Old November 30, 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
BigJimP

I don't have any experience with Power Pistol powder / so I can't comment - but if they're published loads you should be fine.

Personally, in 9mm and .45acp I use Hodgdon TiteGroup powder ( and for all my handgun loads in .40S&W, .38spl, .357 mag and .44mag as well ).
Old November 30, 2009, 05:32 PM   #4
sourdough44

The bullets & COL for the 45 seem good. I also use Tightgroup & Universal, so no opinion on the powder.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
gregjc9

Ok, thanks guys, much appreciated.

Greg
Old November 30, 2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Kyo

I would suggest starting with 5.0 of power pistol. 6.9 feels a little high. I looked at the published data, even though its not there and it may look like 6.9 is ok, start low on purpose.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:34 PM   #7
That'll Do

Power Pistol is an excellent powder for 9mm, I've used it quite a bit. I have no experience with it in 45ACP though. I'd recommend giving Hodgdon Universal a try.

One of the hardest things for me when I started reloading was choosing a powder. There are so many options, it can be daunting. For that reason, I recommend a "general purpose" powder when people start out. Hodgdon Universal, Winchester 231, and Alliant Unique come to mind.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:42 PM   #8
gregjc9

Quote:
Power Pistol is an excellent powder for 9mm, I've used it quite a bit. I have no experience with it in 45ACP though. I'd recommend giving Hodgdon Universal a try.

One of the hardest things for me when I started reloading was choosing a powder. There are so many options, it can be daunting. For that reason, I recommend a "general purpose" powder when people start out. Hodgdon Universal, Winchester 231, and Alliant Unique come to mind.
That is exactly right!! Choosing a powder for the very first loads is very daunting. I was trying to pick a powder that was in the middle of the burn rates for the calibers I will be reloading, and PP looked like it would be a good middle ground powder. I double-checked my Hornady manual, and PP seems to be in the middle of those you listed. Looks like any of those 4 should be good to start with. Thanks

Greg
Old November 30, 2009, 11:59 PM   #9
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjc9
That is exactly right!! Choosing a powder for the very first loads is very daunting. I was trying to pick a powder that was in the middle of the burn rates for the calibers I will be reloading, and PP looked like it would be a good middle ground powder. I double-checked my Hornady manual, and PP seems to be in the middle of those you listed. Looks like any of those 4 should be good to start with. Thanks
The only thing I noticed with PP is that it seems to prefer the higher end of the spectrum as far as charge weights. I load it in 9mm with a 124gr Montana Gold FMJ, and I've found that accuracy was best towards the upper limit. The reason I like Universal (and also Unique, although not as much) is that it seems more "willing" to accept smaller charges, yet still retain accuracy.

This only my experience with the powder, and it is far from gospel.
Old December 1, 2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Nnobby45

Factotry HB runs about 2.260. Max is 2.270. I load mine from 2.250 to 2.260. These are 230 grains. I'd guess yours would work fine and give a little more (very little) seating depth. Especially if you've followed the manual for that bullet.