The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 15, 2011, 07:48 PM   #1
andrewsharpshooter

Remington 700

Which 700 variant would be best for white tail hunting.Ive looked at the SPS and liked it but there are some i dont even know about.I already know i want it chambered in .308 Win.I also want to know how long barrel should i get.
Old March 15, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2
sir_n0thing

For deer hunting at "standard" distances, meaning up to 200 yards or so, any of the 700's should work the same as any of the others. Simply for deer hunting I'd be looking for how much it weighs (easy of carry vs felt recoil), the stock and finish depending on weather and how much effort you put into keeping it clean (synthetic/stainless for wet weather and less optimal cleaning practices, wood/blue otherwise). A .308 round from a BDL will hit the deer just the same as from an ADL or a VTS or a SPS... and so on.

Go handle a couple of them see what feels right and fits you. Look and see what pleases you visually.
Old March 15, 2011, 08:12 PM   #3
crowbeaner

I'd go with the ADL and the laminated stock that they sell at Wally World. $518.00 last time I checked, and they usually stock 270 and 30/06. It has the advantages of a stable stock in wet weather, and it doesn't have a floorplate to come unlatched and dump your ammo at your feet if it gets bumped wrong. Add a Redfield 3x9 or Burris Fullfield II in Weaver mounts (also at WM) and you're good to go. The '06 has the advantage over the 308 in that it shoots heavier bullets, the brass is cheaper to buy to reload, and it has a 100+ year record of doing the job all the time.
Old March 15, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4
big al hunter

I have to agree that any of the 700's will do the job. and you have selected one of the most accurate cartriges as well. You should be able to find factory ammo that will group well at most hunting distances. Just shoot several different brand/bullet combinations as you can and find the one that your new gun likes. And have fun doing it!!!!!
Old March 15, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Weaver mounts (also at WM)
Those Weaver rings and bases at Walmart are made in China... No thank you!!
Old March 15, 2011, 10:21 PM   #6
WWWJD

No expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I too was making the same choices a couple months ago. I wound up with a SPS .308.

My hunting ground is family property, with the maximum safe shot being about 300 yards (my uncle did it a few years ago from the bed of his pickup; 8 pointer.. it was nice). I don't expect to make anything past about 200. I wanted a hunting rifle, but I also wanted a fun rifle for the other 360 days of the year. The SPS fit my personal definition of both, and also fit my overall budget nicely. I've already had a lot of fun shooting it at 100, just learning to shoot. 4 boxes in, my confidence is much higher. Anyways.. I think in the end, you'll gravitate to whichever rifle feels right for you. Then you just gotta make it work.

My new baby (posing with my old new Marlin .22):

As shown, I think I'm into it for about $1150.

Rifle was $620 at Bud's Gun Shop, then there's a Bushnell Elite 3200 Mil/Mil from MidwayUSA, EGW single piece rail, Burris Extreme HD rings (Low), Harris swivel bipod, Mag extender, Karsten Kydex cheek rest, scope covers, carrying strap, case... Geeze.

As far as barrel length is concerned, there's this recent thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444445

NRA Endowment FTW

Last edited by WWWJD; March 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old March 15, 2011, 10:37 PM   #7
rottieman33

I have a Remington 700 SPS I love the gun great for Hunting. Can hit clay targets at 1000 feet with my reloads.

Got a Harris Bi-pod Series "S": Rotates to either side for instant leveling on uneven ground. Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness. Model L: (Light) The world's largest selling bi-pod, compact and light. Adjustable height from 9" to 13" Weight 11 oz.

Bushnell Banner Scope 3X-9X 50mm

Last edited by rottieman33; May 11, 2011 at 06:05 PM.

Tags
.308 , 700 , rem , remington , sps