The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 4, 1999, 08:15 PM   #1
motorep

Suppose I show up at the local IDPA match, with all the correct gear and the entry fee, but have never shot an IDPA match. I'm an A class IPSC shooter and an NROI Chief Range Officer so I've demonstrated that I can shoot safely. Will I be allowed to compete?
Old August 4, 1999, 11:10 PM   #2
shortcut

Most likely you'll get to shoot, Motorep. All depends on local range rules...

Our local club requires first time shooters to show up a half hour early for a briefing whether they're raw newbies, Bullseye Champions or cops. The nomenclature, range procedures and scoring is different in IDPA than it is in other shooting sports, so the time invested is worthwhile for everyone involved.

We've seen everything from excellent bullseye shooters who don't seem to know why God gave us holsters - to Feds showing up in their callout gear who can't hit a darned thing past 10 yards, to a former IPSC World Champion who didn't understand the scoring till he went through the briefing.

Some clubs require more stringent familiarization, though, and that seems to be dependent on insurance, range owner rules, etc.

Call your local IDPA chapter before the match and see what the local requirements are before anyone risks a misunderstanding, and give it a shot!
Old August 5, 1999, 08:02 AM   #3
Ricky T

As a class A IPSC shooter, you won't have any problem with the course of fire and safety issue. Most IDPA clubs are very understanding of the diverse experience among the shooters, and probably welcome your experience. Just remember:
1. there is no speed load (dump mag on ground), unless your mag is empty (slide lock reload.
2. tactical reload and magazine change with retention.
3. use available cover (50% of your body must be behind cover).
4. no sight picture/personal walk through.
You'll have fun. You may even win the match.
Old August 5, 1999, 08:23 AM   #4
johnboy
Retired Screen Name

Do not see any reason why you would not be. If you are ever in middle Tennessee, would be more than happy to have you shoot with us.

Johnboy IDPA#A02199
Old August 5, 1999, 12:18 PM   #5
Morgan

Motorep - I'll e-mail you the Front Range IDPA president's contact info. New shooters have to take a safety/match conduct course, but I believe I heard that the local IPSC and IDPA clubs honor each others safety standards.
Old August 5, 1999, 01:12 PM   #6
motorep

Morgan, thanks, but I know who they are. MarkCo and I have been shooting together for years. The question came up as the result of a conversation with a friend. Mark's been trying to get me to come shoot his matches since they started.I get these emails after an IPSC match saying "you know, Nick, if that was IDPA scoring you'd have won the match",etc. I'm edging towards trying it, there are still a couple things that bother me about it, but as long as I know the rules I can deal with it. Maybe in the fall - like you, I had a recent death in the family which has taken my competitive drive away for a while.
Old August 20, 1999, 06:40 PM   #7
MarkCO

Nick, I know you will make it to a match eventually. We do honor IPSC in lieu of a safety class and the Front Range IPSC is honoring our Safety Class for IPSC too. BTW the State match went well.

My condolences on your loss.

We are working hard, through various channels, to get IDPA at more and closer to "Mile-Hi" area ranges. I'll LYK if that happens.

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO
http://homes.acmecity.com/rosie/smiley/58/