The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2001, 08:35 PM   #1
Legionnaire

What's up with these hooves?

Anyone seen hooves like these on a deer before? These are from a six-point buck taken on a farm in central NY. Any explanation? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6point2.jpg (82.8 KB, 308 views)
Old November 22, 2001, 11:40 PM   #2
Sisco

Once saw a horse with a like condition, was told it was caused by being fed too much grain.
Old November 22, 2001, 11:59 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ran across a burro in some mesquite-flat country along Terlingua Creeks whose hooves were like that. He couldn't have seen corn in years!

Could the deer have been hanging around soft-ground swampy areas? Where there might not be coarse and/or hard enough soil for normal wear? Dunno.

For some reason the disease "thrush" comes to mind. Try a Google search under that and then, maybe "curved hooves"?

Art
Old November 23, 2001, 12:11 AM   #4
lilbiggun

I agree with Art. I've seen pics of moose with similar hooves. I was told it was because of the marsh and soft ground they walk on. I dont know for sure but it sure is wierd.
Old November 23, 2001, 09:30 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Legionnaire, since it's long-distance for me to call a veterinarian, I'll let you do it.

, Art
Old November 23, 2001, 11:48 AM   #6
Legionnaire

Hey, Art; calling a vet isn't a bad idea! I'll also give google a spin. Will let you know if I come up with anything.

The idea that it may have to do with marshy land is plausible, as there are some definite marshes around. But there is also enough "regular" terrain that this doesn't seem to be the likely cause.
Old November 23, 2001, 03:49 PM   #7
Legionnaire

I asked the same question over at huntingbbs.com. Answers thus far seem to suggest combination of both terrain and diet. See that thread at:

http://www.huntingbbs.com/forum/topi...rHunting%2ECom

One of the respondents there referred me to deertracking.com. Here's the link to their "Ask the Experts" column, the first note being on unusually long hooves:

http://www.deertracking.com/tr_curre...e.html#experts

Now I've got to research "Hemorrhagic Disease!"
Old November 23, 2001, 06:30 PM   #8
K80Geoff

Hmmmmmm.....!

Have you been hunting around Nuclear Power Plants
Old November 23, 2001, 07:50 PM   #9
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
My guess is those are the hooves of an animal that's been rasied all it's life in a small pen. Like human finger nails a deer's hooves will grow and grow. It's walking around that wears them down. Since this deer came off a game farm I'd say it was a raised in a small feed-lot then set out just prior to harvest. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old November 23, 2001, 10:02 PM   #10
Legionnaire

Kernel, it wasn't from a game farm, nor is there one in the area. By "farm" I simply meant "farm." The land is owned by an M.D. and rented to a local farmer that raises feed crops (corn and alfalfa). Below the farm are extensive woods, and further down the valley are the swamps and creeks. The deer was definitely "free range." It might have hung around a small plot of land, but even then, I doubt it was ever penned.
Old November 24, 2001, 04:34 PM   #11
C.R.Sam

Hooves like that are not uncommon among feral burros that hang out in urbanized areas.

Sam
Old November 24, 2001, 07:01 PM   #12
Bud Helms

'Just a guess, but it sure looks like something in it's diet super-charged the growth of that type of cell.

Was it a collard green farm?
Old November 27, 2001, 11:57 AM   #13
H&H,hunter

My wife the DVM is sitting here next to me and she has no definate explanation however she has some ideas.
1. Possibly the deer has some sort of ligament/tendon disorder which is causing an incorrect flexion of the foot and therefore causing improper wear of the foot/I.E, not able to trim his hooves on the ground.
2. It may be a simple case of the ground this buck lived on was soft enough to prevent normal hoof wear.
3. She does not think that it is anything to worry about as far consumption of the meat as long as he had no other signs of disease.
Old November 27, 2001, 12:05 PM   #14
MLC

obviously a lack of two things: 1) thumbs, greatly hindering the ability to use 2) toenail clippers.
Sorry couldn't resist.
Old November 27, 2001, 12:40 PM   #15
keano44

This poor animal was obviously handicapped, and you should be ashamed for taking it.

On second thought, you should be commended for putting it out of its misery. I'm sure it was teased by all the other deer.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old November 27, 2001, 02:18 PM   #16
dZ

you'se guys have never seen an Appalacian skiing Whitetail before?
Old November 27, 2001, 02:20 PM   #17
dZ

notice how the back "dew claws" are long too?

i don't think this is "lack of wear" related
Old November 27, 2001, 03:06 PM   #18
joebogey

It does look like an equine condition called "founder" which is caused when the horses' system is overloaded with too much grain at one time or consumes too much lush green forage. If it is "founder", this animal should have been barely able to walk and would have been in constant pain. You've probably done him a favor.

A wild stallion will take his herd into a stream or river to stand for a while to soften the hooves. He'll then take them into rough terrain to wear off the excess foot. Thats one reason we use a Farrier or Blacksmith on domestic horses. They don't have option of wearing down their own feet.
Old November 27, 2001, 03:29 PM   #19
dZ

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...emmorhagic.htm
http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...er/disease.htm

eek!:

http://www.deer-uk.com/aladdin's_slippers.htm
Roger Lambert, Department of Zoology, University of Aberdeen

What you are seeing in the photograph to the right is the result of a very small genetic error in the animal's genome when it was conceived. i.e. the genetic blueprint was fine, except one gene was ever so slightly corrupted. What then happens, is when the cells concerned with foot growth and development divide, as old ones die off, the new cells become more and more corrupt. In this case the balance of the bio-chemicals that control cell growth in the feet are completely out of balance as a result of an ever so slightly faulty gene. Usually, in roe deer, because they are genetically what we call polymorphic, (they keep their options open and can change genetically slightly between generations) genetic abnormalities are rare. Roe deer also have a high level of heterozygosity (genetic fitness) which gives the species a selective advantage. A deformity like this could also be the result of a recessive gene as a result of in-breeding within the population. Over successive generations the abnormality becomes more and more dominant, the eventual result is that genetic line eventually dying out because they cannot adapt to the abnormality (Darwinian theory i.e. 'survival of the fittest').
Old November 27, 2001, 04:09 PM   #20
joebogey

dz!
you da man!!
I love TFL, where else can you obtain such knowledge?
Old November 27, 2001, 04:26 PM   #21
Legionnaire

dz,

Thanks for the great follow-up. Doesn't sound like HD, as this deer was big and otherwise appeared healthy (no visible mouth or tongue ulcers); nor did it appear to be in pain as it walked (but what do I know about deer pain?). A genetic error makes sense.

Thanks again!