The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 20, 2000, 04:13 AM   #1
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
Recently a friend of mine was bequeathed a fairly nice condition Winchester Model 59 .22 bolt action rifle. The only `problem?' with it is that it is missing the magazine. Now I have found some sources of magazines for model 69As but so far none for model 69s. What are the differences between the two models *and* are they such that a magazine for a model 69A *won't* fit a model 69?

I was under the impression that one could order manuals for various Winchester models via their Web Site but this last time I looked I couldn't find anyplace to do it. Is this still possible and if it is how does one now go about doing it?

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

Old May 20, 2000, 11:23 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Halfpint:
Model 69/69A:
This model was designed by Winchester to ans the demand for a medium priced hunting and target .22 rimfire bolt action rifle. The rifle had a detachable box mag and many were offered with factory installed telescopes in 2=3/4" and 5 pwr.

The 69A version was introduced in 1937 and featured an improved cocking mechanism. The 69 was introduced in 1935, as the Model 69, this gun was dropped in 1963 with about 335,000 being sold.

The model 69 was made in three variations:

Bolt Action Repeater:
Bolt action rifle, takedown model made from 1935-1963

Match Rifle:
Same as the 69 Target except has Lyman #57EW receiver sight.

Target Rifle:
Same as #69 except has Winchester peep rear sight, swivels and sling.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 20, 2000).]
Old May 20, 2000, 04:42 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The 69 cocks on closing, the 69A on opening. Magazines for the 52/56/57/59/69A/75 are identical. Gun Parts has aftermarket for about $12. Originals go for $35+. I have recently seen one for $35, and another for $75.

Jim
Old May 21, 2000, 02:21 PM   #4
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
Again... Far out! And... Thanks guys!

My friend will be delighted to get the info.

$35 - $75!!! *Yikes*!

But... I suspect that he'll get at least one original and any others will be `re-pops'. The original just to have it and the rest for actual shooting.

Harley:

A special thanks! I'm going to make certain that he gets a copy of the `history' as I think it'll make the rifle even that more special to him.

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-