The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 23, 2007, 07:46 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Yet more assorted archery questions & comments

1. Comment. Recurve shooting was killing my fingers - a lot of numbness lasting for days after shooting. Today, *doubled up* with *both* glove and tab - much more comfortable - gonna hunt with a tab, no glove, but this makes practice infinitely more enjoyable.

2. Question. Do brush buttons have ANY silencing effect? Yes, I know they keep brush out of the limbs, but in addition to that, do they add ANY silencing effect to go along and help the string silencers?

3. Question: *All other things being equal*, does a 2-blade fixed broadhead tend to fly more true to point of aim than a 4-blade fixed broadhead? Again, all other things being equal.... I was just shooting some Satellite archery 4-bladers, and they were impacting all over the place - you could see them veer off in flight - mostly low and to the right, but sometimes they'd fly *true* to the field points, so there's no way for me to dial in with them. I've been recommended Eastman Outdoors 2-blade 125s. I want a 125 gr fixed broadhead that will fly the closest to field points - can be 2, 3, or 4 blade - doesn't matter.

4. Question: Does anyone else use this or a similar system for broadheads. Buy, say 6, and then designate 3 for practice with a broadhead target by covering the practice broadheads in fingernail polish all over it, for quick identification? Don't worry about keeping them sharp; just set the other 3 aside and keep sharp for hunting.

Thanks. This recurve game is a whole lot different than the compound game - more different that I had expected. No sights, no let-off, no release. Harder to find arrows your bow likes. Due to the lower power, I don't trust mechanicals. Etc., etc.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; September 23, 2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old September 24, 2007, 02:35 PM   #2
davlandrum

FF - sorry your finger tips are going numb, but at least that means you are flinging arrows!

2- They might help some, as I thing anything that dampens the string helps. I always used tie-on ruber silencers as well.

3- Not in my experience. I shot Magnus 2-blades for a long time simply because I liked the way they look with a traditional bow set up, but they were not inherently more accurate than 3 or 4 blades, at least for me. Your release is the most critical thing in a traditional set-up.

4- Yes - I just use a permanent marker on them. You have to keep touching it up, but works OK.

Traditional is a hard way to go. Part of the reason I got out of it was I had lost all my practice time because of other priorities.

Dave

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 1, 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
tatso7

Take you questions to Archerytalk.com bowhunting section. I'm sure you will get tons of answers to your questions..
Old October 1, 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Dave, if you don't have time to practice traditional, then it seems to me that the compound is the way to go for you at this time in your life. In which case you should get a Liberty.
Old October 10, 2007, 04:57 PM   #5
davlandrum

FF - sorry, that bow is just toooo wierd looking for me. I am shooting compound for the last 3 years - Oneida Black Eagle.

Hmm - I guess I shouldn't judge the Liberty, since everyone says the same thing about my Oneida....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart