The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 14, 2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Fisher

Ithaca Side by Side 16 gauge

Hi guys,
I have a favor to ask you guys. I have an Ithaca side by side that I need some info and approx. value of if possible.

Receiver - Pointing bird dog and "Ithaca Gun Co. Ithaca N.Y." both sides.

triggers - Double

Barrels - 28" appears to be full and modified. No texted visible on the barrels.

Pistol cap & plastic butt plate - They are worn but readable.

All serial numbers match on the forearm, barrels and receiver (251xxx). The pistol grip and forearm are checkered. They are also well worn but not split or cracked. The blueing on the barrel is worn but no rust. The case hardening on the receiver is all but gone but again not rust.

The interesting part of this deal is that I know the original owner and the second owner along with some info about both. Both have gone on to the happy hunting grounds some 25 years ago. I don't have any idea of the age but I am guess it is over 40 years. Any help would be greatly appriciated. The family is looking to sell the gun and I want to know the value so I can decide what to offer them.

Thanks,
Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old January 14, 2006, 10:15 PM   #2
RJay

Flues Model , Serial numbers ended in 1913 at 242599, 1914 at 256,699. There were 10 Grades incluing unnumbered Field and Sousa. The Field and Grade 1, 1000 in exc, 600 to 750 in VG, 300 to 400 in Good, 150 in Fair, 100 in Poor. Single trigger brings 200 more and automatic ejectors also bring a 200 premium on grades lower than 4. Info from 15th Edition of Standard
Catalog of Firearms. Hope that helps.
Old January 14, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Fisher

Thank you

Thank you RJay. That is exactly what I was looking for. This one does have the ejectors in the barrel.

Thanks,
Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan