The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 13, 2011, 11:09 AM   #1
ZVP

'62 Police Holster

It's almost impossible to find a period correct holster for this 5 incher! I finally bought a Mexican Loop from Cabela's and cut the tip down to fit the revolver.
I'll try and add a picture via an attachment if I can.. custom holster '62 Police.jpg I hope that took!
The little .36 caliber Model 62 has quicklly become one of my favorites! it handles quick and groups tight. It has a full sized cylinder so you get full power loads into the chambers.
ZVP
Old July 14, 2011, 12:14 AM   #2
62coltnavy

I know two sites that will make you a custom and period correct holster:

http://harrisonleather.com/

http://www.purdygear.com/index.html

Ms. Purdy is probably one of the best historians around, and she loves to chat about her art. I have a Harrison for a 62 Navy with a 5" barrel, suede lined. Both of these makers are high quality and both--if you can pay the freight--will make you a hand stitched holster, which is authentic as you can get. And they are nice peope to boot. But you will not be paying Cabela's prices. Worth checking out their sites just for browsing.
Old July 14, 2011, 08:42 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Bigbadgun, a member here, made this shoulder rig for me a few years ago. A holster frame on one side and a pocket frame on the other.

Old July 15, 2011, 12:19 AM   #4
62coltnavy

Almost all of the cheap holsters are chrome tanned leather, and they will not last. They will soften up, and there is nothing to do for it but toss it. Stick with vegetable tanned leather and you will have a holster that will last for years and through bad weather. All of the premium makers will tell you exactly where they buy their hides--and if its not listed on the site, it is probably not vegetable tanned. Some will even make horsehide holsters for blackpowder pistols, but the holster alone will be well north of $100. And all I'm talking about are plain slim jims or texas jockstraps without any fancy silverwork or stamping.