The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 29, 2012, 01:58 AM   #51
BigRick

After I had bought my first sks I fell in love with russian guns and milsurp in general. I also wanted to accurize what I had. Who doesn't?

I talked to the guy at my LGS, former LEO and apretty knowledgable guy. The main point of our discussion was basically that these weapons are designed to hit center mass (about 18" X 24") at 300 m (battle sight setting on SKS) at a minimum.

Even if you were to half that, say 9" X 12" at 150 m that's way less than a MOA. By the time you have that much $$$ in it accurizing you could have bought a rifle that will do better than that out of the box.

I'm not trying to start an arguement or say you're wrong. I've definitely spent lots of money and time on things other people have said I was silly for doing that. I'm just saying I think you'd have a better starting platform to either have saved your money or to stop where you're at now. Then you have a great Mosin, and are able to save a little cash towards that better starting platform.

Regardless of what you do, as long as you're happy and having fun that's all that's important. Best of luck in with your project.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:27 PM   #52
Duzell

I understand your point, as a better platform would be better from an accuracy standpoint. But on many rifles I don't find as much customization as I do with the mosin, also I'm in Ca and limited by what rifles I can get. The purpose of this project was to show I can make my mosin accurate and cheaper still than the higher platforms available, and keep it reverseable to it's origional state

Now this project is just to assist those who want to follow this strategy ive devised for their own mosin, or just get 1 or two of the suggested items and thats it.

Basically im just shareing my experiance and reccomendations so people have something to go on
Old November 30, 2012, 10:14 AM   #53
BigRick

I completely understand, and by no means am I trying to talk trash. There's a lot of people who say I'm soft in the head for loving old triumphs and old vehicles in general.
Bedding the Action
Just a little trick.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:29 AM   #54
Duzell

finished mosin project

well this was a test fitting as i have not set the brass stacker mount, its just for show, i will be using a blow torch to heat the solder holding pins in place and try to put the new ones in which will allow me to mount the scope mount. i will keep the old pins so i can swap but i actually like the new ones as they can be tightened or loosened.( i tried to hammer the pins out but to no avail)

so far i have a red dot scope i borrowed from my dad on the rail to show what it would look like with a scope mounted on the rail. rail is pitcany, and has good length(not to long and not to short, even allows you to have a scope close to your eye if you want, im going to place a scout scope on it, i really want illuminated ones as i want the mosin to be a night shooting rifle but thats a quirk
with this setup i will total the mosin mods

brass stacker mount 59$(tax and shipping free)
boyds stock 103$(tax, ect)
ncstar precision bipod 27.99$
black powder claw sling 20$
total 209.99 + 98 (mosin itself)
toal= 307.99
for a full modded sporter that does 1 inch groups or better, without permanent mods i havent found a better deal, for a rifle this is a great setup for a mosin nagant 91/31

and even just doing the scope mount and a 20$ ncstar pistol scope you will tighten the group more than anything. now my mosin still can shoot with irons via the brass stacker mount(this is why i wanted it), this mosin on irons does better than most and was a great find as a first mosin, and is why i wanted a non permanent mods so that i can switch to its historic form.

with these equipment and the steps i have laid out anyone can try to sport their mosin at a low cost.

and just getting the boyds stock tightens the group and its a drop in stock, unless you have a m44 this stock isnt an issue.

below are test fitting pics.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...68528705_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...07323098_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1818770_n.jpg
Old January 15, 2013, 11:54 AM   #55
srtolly1

This one was a bad bubba when I got it. It shoots well for me but I still need a bipod.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:28 PM   #56
Duzell

nice, monte carlo stock, with a pistol grip and you mounted a rear sight scope. did you have a gunsmith do it or yourself?

now the bipod wont add much to your accuracy and with the pistol grip i would suggest a longer legged bipod than the one i have one mine, so you get good clearance on the grip. mine is mainly because i needed stability when shooting 300 and 400 yards on irons, my breathing kept making my groups not as tight. but i do recommend ncstar bipods as mine was tested and has taken 100 rounds with minimal loosening, and its a quick flick of the fingers to tighten back up.

now if you only have the one stud at front you could get a rail adapter and add a pin + bipod that way

Last edited by Duzell; January 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:52 PM   #57
srtolly1

It came poorly fitted in the ati stock. Bedded the a tion and floated the barrel, shortened barrel to 24". Made the bolt handle. Raised the cheek rest a half inch and molded it in. The AR pistol grip is easier with my arthritis. Scope mount is for a Remington 1100 and modified.

Thanks for the advice on the bipod. I was looking at the NCstar, I can make almost anything work how I want it. It started out pretty rough, I think it turned out pretty good.

I like your stock, I thought about that one.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:41 PM   #58
Duzell

well boyds does make a monte carlo stock for the 91/30s, the feather weight (which is mine) is design to be light, as i carry this thing on my back for long periods of time it was a must have , but a more heavy stock would be beneficial for recoil reduction and rise.

im currently on a hunt for a scope thats the following.

long eye relief
illuminated or does well in low light/night
shock proof
water proof
fog proof
low cost
Old January 16, 2013, 08:35 PM   #59
srtolly1

I've heard that NCstar makes a scope like you describe. Might be worth a gamble. I picked mine up at a gun show for $30 NIB so I put it on. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I can go about 150 yds with it (sucks getting old).
Old January 19, 2013, 07:17 PM   #60
Fox84

Archangel has come out with a new stock for mosins. It also adds a magazine set up to the gun. Comes with a 5 rounder but 10 rounders are available. They came out at Shot Show in Vegas. Retail is around $200 but it looks to be a awesome piece.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:50 AM   #61
Duzell

can we get a link to these archangel stocks?

my mosin does great with boyds as it free floats plus is bedded, but im thinking about getting another mosin for a new project
Old January 21, 2013, 12:04 PM   #62
Duzell

current mosin: black lightning

named after the Russian movie if anyone is wondering

anyway took it out to a ranch and fired 20 rounds to zero out the red dot, it did ok at 70 yards, also sadly that day my raybans fell and shattered, afterwords i also lost my trigger in (just ordered two from buymilsurplus.com) hopefully ill get them soon and use two shoot.

ive decided the red dot is good only out to 100 yards but it dosnt have the magnification for what i want to do, which is 300 -400+ yards, like i do with the m1a, sadly i have to say the mosin and m1a are my two favorites.

anyway performance

using the brass stacker mount i shot out to 70 yards using the leapers red dot scope available on amazon for 40 ish bucks, got for 25 at a gun show

ive decided ill get an ncstar scope non iluminating as its cheap and will work at 2x 7x
below are pics of the shoot

mosin with bipod extended max

mosin at noraml shortest height (this is also what i do to clean my gun)

mosin on bipod

target at 70 yards
Old January 22, 2013, 04:00 PM   #63
Duzell

quick question on ncstar

quick question. does the ncstar scopes come with rings or do i have to order those too?

and i keep flipping between illuminated and non as i do shoot at night and the illumination would make the mosin handy at night shooting

so i will get the illuminanted mostlikly as same as non but can illuminate
Old January 22, 2013, 05:34 PM   #64
srtolly1

Have to check around on the NCstar, you can probably find one with rings on fleabay. I have even seen them come with the.mount for a Mosin.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:38 PM   #65
Duzell

ok well i have put the mosin away till i get the replacement trigger pin which is being shipped from floridia (2 of these) via buymilsurplus.com

i will get the ncstar scout scope that is illuminated so i can night hunt/shoot

it is 2x to 7x magnification
comes with scope lens caps and has rings so no worries

2 day shipping via amazon woot! and amazon 30 day backing. ill order when i get my pins so i can try shooting it that weekend.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:55 PM   #66
Duzell

Ammo

ammunition

ive heard this around and i have experienced it myself and thought i should point this out so people know.

the whinchester 7.62x54r rounds that is softpoint and has 180 grain has some issues

ive noticed when firing this the rear of every 6th bullet blows off and the charge metal will get stuck in the BOLT, if you notice a hole in the rear of your casing, take bolt apart and clean, then gap the pin using the tool that comes with the mosin.

the reason as some have pointed out is due to the inconsistent quality of the Winchester version. i find this bullet to not be reliable or consistent personally. but its up to you, i find them overly expensive and just not worth the price(fun to shoot milk jugs filled with colored water)

now ive never had issues withe surplus (windex or hopps the barrel after), they are less accurate

now the brand i do approve of is the brown bear(my m1a loves this brand too) version of the 7.62x54r, this brand offer the same style as Winchester also a silver bear which is non re-loadable (i like these cause the range guys jack my brass)

now i can pick up the brown bear for 10 bucks with 20 rounds, soft point and everything (hell they have various grain size too)(midway USA)
Winchester is 27.99$ at big five for 20 rounds

twice the price half the quality.
now my mosin is choosy in rounds that are consistent (don't know your preference) i have used brown bear, surplus , whinchester ect

various sites for ammo

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...spx?c=96&s=954

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=7.62x54mm
Old February 7, 2013, 03:59 PM   #67
Duzell

project update

well now, i broke down and bought the ncstar 2x-7x with illuminated cross hairs.

it looks nice and came with lens caps (russian style ill get usa flip covers) a battery spare, allen wrench and 2 low profile rings (yay i wanted these)

mounted it to the brass stacker, i need to hook to rifle now... anyway i found out my old solid case wont fit the mosin so i ordered the bulldog 52+ inches and it supposedly does well with a scope.

scope has 7 illumination stages, and 2x-7x magnification, very quick when quick aiming, its not zeroed yet but it has a fixed parralax so dont complain, a scope like this years ago would be military only im glad i have it, works great at night front lens dosnt emit light and makes you hard to find, low level is best. got on deal on amazon for 48$ 2 day shipping.

now im looking for a muzzel break and i stumbled upon this one. looks good and could be quite entertaining.

http://mosinplus.com/

for those who dont know what a muzzel break is, its like a blow off valve, redirecting gas up and to sides of gun to counter rise and recoil. also it will make it loud! and have a concussive effect. this is great on the m1a as when i shoot it i see a sphere effect while in grass, it literally makes a blast sphere from gun that eminates out and you FEEL it. its fun and functional for gun, if someone has tried the above break please detail your experiance

'another method is to make a screw rivits on barrel so you can screw on the ak or sks breaks
Old February 25, 2013, 12:26 PM   #68
Duzell

mosin semi auto?

new idea to design a mosin to be semi auto by replacing bolt with a new one i will engineer and design make it so gas fires a piston built into bolt and chambers new round after first shot, this principle would work but we would be limited by the number of rounds. in practicality the system would work like so. load like normal on mosin and prepare to fire, after firing gas pushes on bolt, internal piston is pushed back and spring behind piston pushes piston into place chambering a new round and being ready to fire. a basic system for a basic rifle, im imagining this to be semi auto and having it so all mechanism is in new bolt. should i make it bent ?
Old February 25, 2013, 12:36 PM   #69
Duzell

current mosin with NCSTAR scope

Old February 25, 2013, 01:27 PM   #70
tahunua001

Duzell,
that's a nice mosin you have there, I'm glad you decided against the cheaper ATI alternatives for scope base.

however your plans for a piston driven mosin nagant semi is going to be a near impossible task with a lot of things to overcome first.

1. the magazine is a large obstacle. 5 round capacity magazines are pretty limiting when it comes to a semi auto, with the frequency of reloads there is little advantage over a bolt action. there are some people working on a 10 round magazine but it is still in the prototype stage. promag has a 10 round detachable magazine but it must be incorporated into the new Archangel polymer mosin stock to work which would add it's own challenges.

2. you would have to completely design your own bolt, a lot of precises machinery will be necessary for this to happen.

3. semi autos are not so forgiving of crude finishes and heavy tooling marks. you would have to go in and buff out a lot of the ridges, and bumps to help streamline the action.

4. where would the piston go? you can't go over the op as that's where your sights are located, if you go to either side you'll mess with the balance of the rifle and it will always want to rotate to one side and cause a fall in accuracy. going through the bottom would be your only option in this case which would bring you back to having to find a way to incorporate it into the stock without impeding the magazine.

what you are attempting to do has been done before but not in the way you plan to do it. during world war one a conversion known as the Pedersen Device was used to convert springfield 1903s into semi automatic rifles. this design was blow back, completely operated by recoil, no piston necessary. however as 3006 is way too powerful to put in a blowback design, they invented a small 30 caliber pistol cartridge to work with the device. as these smaller rounds could not feed in the magazines, a new 40 round top feed magazine was created. after all this was done, then they had to actually design a semi automatic bolt to work with all of these modifications. all of this was a colossal undertaking for remington arms even in a factory setting and they were working with a base design that that was much more refined than the 91/30.

the challenges of doing all this are just too astronomical for anyone that doesn't already own a firearms factory. for the thousands of dollars and countless hours that would be required drafting schematics and actually attempting to fabricate a prototype, it would just be way cheaper and easier to go out and buy a russian SVT40 in 7.62x54R that is piston driven and has a 10 round detachable mag and call it a day.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:16 PM   #71
Duzell

thats just a first draft idea, i wasn't going to do this in a day, this is a long term project. But as a engineer its not like its something i haven't done before , and a mosin isn't very complex but the proper calculations and design must be implemented, so far the plan is just to draw up a few bolt designs schematics for fun and not make a bolt, if thats what your worrying about, i appreciate the warning but dont worry about it.

now as far as historical goes there were a few of experimental semi auto designs for the mosin but none made it into production. i was also refrenceing an article on auto rifles that was interesiting [article]

though i showed the current design i had going to a gun smith, he actually stated that it would make it full auto not semi, i need another spring on the front of the bolt internally to prevent a firing of the newly chambered bullet, or something else. basically the error in my first design was that after firing the recoil and gas push an internal system back onto a spring but then spring theory kicks in and pushes piston forward (piston actually houses firing pin was part of it) and pushes forward, what the gunsmith said is that the forward motion has no limiting elements and would cause the pin to move forward and fire the round as it came in which could end badly or fire it out barrel and this would happen repeatedly so back to drawing board.

but on the up side the mosin is a simple rifle and internally not much complexity other than shape

mosin nagant normal design

here is someones project i find scary a mosin pistol?

Old April 13, 2013, 10:53 AM   #72
Duzell

News for mosins nagant owners

recently if you are unawair,

archangel has developed a new mosin stock thta is drop in for mosin nagant rifles, looks similar to a m1a sniper stock, but best part is it actually converts the mosin nagant to a magazine rifle, 5-10 round clips that allow for quick install and firing

price for stock with a 5 clip and all the goodies is set to 199.95 USD$
10 round clip is set for 25.95 USD$

this will be released in may apparently, so all you mosin sporters may want to take a look at this
Old April 13, 2013, 11:59 AM   #73
tahunua001

Duzell, see post #70, bullet #1

this stock has been around the ringer a few times and there have been quite a few threads dedicated to it. a pic of it surfaced last fall as a tease, along with a decent looking archangel SKS stock and AK furniture set. no more word was had until shot show 2013 in january when a pair of mosins were on display at the archangel booth, one carbine with folding bayonet intact and one full length. the SKS and AKs were strangely absent and hasn't been any word of those since the tease photo was leaked.

has there been any progress on your semi mosin project?
Old April 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #74
Duzell

the bolt design is in the works still, i would have a mechanism that replaces the bolt and attached to the rear end, in theory its like any other semi auto save it would be heavy rear end to convert the bolt action to semi auto, the downside to this is added weight to rear end and from modeling one could not sit their head behind the new pin as it just in and out to allow the gun to become semi auto, im attempting to minimize this mechanism but it would appear limited, basically you must load round 1, then after firing the round then releases pressure pushes the new internal bot back and a spring around this small bolt returns it to place. i was using a design of the stg 44 mechanism as it seemed appropriate for loading. the bolt would be fixed onto the gun. but with this new stock i could technically make it work as it loads from below, but its just encumber sum and not fully effective yet, there was a few mosins that were converted to semi auto design but i havent found 1 or a schematic of one so i can see how it was done. my only alternative is to alter the rear system by cutting and allow me more room to work, but as is im at a wall, was fun to try though
Old April 17, 2013, 06:55 AM   #75
dalegribble

i think that is the thickest recoil pad i have ever seen!