Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1
almtiba

Kudu

Hi Guys,

I have just returned from South Africa.

Take a look at my Kudu:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kudu1.JPG (63.7 KB, 189 views)
Old September 9, 2004, 04:38 AM   #2
Lone Star

Did you shoot that kudu before or after the snake bit you?
Nice kudu!

Is the rifle a Winchester M70 of some sort? Which caliber, and what load did you use? Do you recall the bullet type and placement (on the antlelope)?

Looks like you had a fun hunt!

Lone Star
Old September 9, 2004, 06:41 AM   #3
almtiba

Before the bite !!! Same day !

It's a Winchester 70 Carbine - .308 Win.
The ammo was Winchester 180gr. PowerPoint (I chronographed it: 2540 fps on my rifle)
The scope is a Swarowski, 6x.

I shot this Kudu from 179m (rangefinder). the bullet hit the shoulder, and almost 10cm to the left (almost the chest). The Kudu fell instantly. The hunter told me it's not common, so I should have hit the spine.

When we aproached the animal, it was still breathing, so I shot it again, in the chest, from a 20m distance.

It's a 52" Kudu. I chased him for 3 days!!!

I recovered the bullet from the Kudu, and it made a very nice mushroom. I'll try to post a pic of it.

It was my first hunt to Africa, and it was very very nice and fun. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun !

What I wanted to hunt, but didn't had the chance was a snake !!!

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil
Old October 13, 2004, 09:01 AM   #4
almtiba

Here's the bullet:

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KuduBult2.JPG (20.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg KuduBult3.JPG (13.5 KB, 83 views)
Old October 13, 2004, 04:11 PM   #5
User Name

Nice! I guess those long horns make a mount difficult. Well, unless you hang it two feet from the floor..
Did ya get to keep the hide as a trophy??
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old October 13, 2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Fred Hansen

Very nice!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 14, 2004, 09:22 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

Outstanding animal, Almtiba - I'm jealous. Very nice, and that 308 bullet performed well it seems.
Old October 14, 2004, 11:46 AM   #8
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gorgeous animal. Great shot.

Confessions of a Bad Hunt:

Mine was a sad learning experience. 187 yards (lasered). Steyr Scout. Dusk. Good rest. The beast was moving slowly to (my recollection) the 2:00 position and had glanced toward us. The shot broke and the animal took off. I called it just behind the near shoulder.....my PH called it wide.

We tracked it until dark and found a fair amount of blood and lay downs. He was clearly in distress and favoring the right front leg. Next morning we found him a quarter mile from the shot, in thicket, and I finished him from close range.

So what happened and what can we (I) do to avoid that kind of unnecessary suffering in future? The bullet had entered just rear of the point of the shoulder and traveled in a straight line, thru the meat and out the right front of the chest, contacting neither rib nor shoulder.

In fact, what I saw as an animal heading to my 2:00, was one heading more toward 1:00 while turning it's head and neck. Being a novice, I viewed him in a 2-dimensional manner and hit him way shallow. Had I internalized my own knowledge, I'd have aimed for the far shoulder. That would have put the point of aim in the mid-forward ribs and I'd probably have held the shot, given the size of the beast and the .308 capabilities.

That mount is placed pre-eminently in my house....more prominent than my Cape Buff. It's a reminder that we should debrief every shoot, especially the bad ones, and strive never to make the same mistake twice.
Rich
Old October 14, 2004, 12:40 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Rich, you are a true asset to the sport of ethical hunting - thanks for the info.
Old November 27, 2007, 12:20 PM   #10
almtiba

Hi,

I'm sick and bored, with the flu, locked home.
So I am spending some time here on the forums.

Sorry to bring back this topic to life, but since my African trophies just arrived a few months ago (yes, they took more than three years to come from Africa to Brazil) I felt like sharing them yith you.

Enjoy,

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010530.JPG (64.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg P1010536.JPG (52.5 KB, 65 views)
Old November 27, 2007, 12:43 PM   #11
User Name

Nice collection.
Hope ya get to feeling better.
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old November 30, 2007, 09:09 AM   #12
Greatest Hunter

Sorry to say, but its not a very good trophy and not a very good mount. Instead of complaining about being sick at home, why don't you get out, find yourself a better African caliber and start planning another try for a better trophy ?
Old November 30, 2007, 03:56 PM   #13
taylorce1

Quote:
Sorry to say, but its not a very good trophy and not a very good mount. Instead of complaining about being sick at home, why don't you get out, find yourself a better African caliber and start planning another try for a better trophy ?
Awful harsh words for someone with only a few posts, or a very poor attemtp at humor. Which is it? A trophy is all in the eye of the owner, sometimes it is the challenge or the story that goes with it that makes it special not the size of it. I've probably worked harder for animals that never made my wall than some of the ones that are on it. As far as the caliber I don't see anything wrong with it as it did the job because almtiba did his.

I'd be happy with any of those trophies in my house, just because of the experience of hunting each animal that I would have gained. Hope you get better soon so we can hear of new and exciting exploits. Looking out your window it appears you have some beautiful country where you live.
Old November 30, 2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Greatest Hunter

if being direct is harsh for you, fine. this is a complicated world. hunting is not just going out to the woods and shooting something anymore. if you are going to a fenced game farm , at least you should try to find a good trophy. we have enough anti hunting material without providing it ourselfs.
Old November 30, 2007, 06:26 PM   #15
davlandrum

Troll much???

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 30, 2007, 06:28 PM   #16
davlandrum

Nice mounts!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 30, 2007, 07:23 PM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:
if you are going to a fenced game farm , at least you should try to find a good trophy.
I don't see where this trophy was taken on a fenced game farm. I didn't see any fences in the back ground nor did the OP say it was a fenced game farm. All I read was:
Quote:
I have just returned from South Africa.

Take a look at my Kudu:
and
Quote:
It's a 52" Kudu. I chased him for 3 days!!!
The OP didn't ask you your opinion on the quality of the Kudu he shot or his mount. It would have been different is he had asked or implied that he wanted your opinion on the quality of his animal or taxidermy. Andre aka almtiba, just stated he wanted to share some pictures of his animals and was hoping we would enjoy them.

Quote:
we have enough anti hunting material without providing it ourselfs
Can you explain how you came up with this comment? I just don't see how you came to this conclusion that the thread was being anti-hunting in anyway.

PM me after your done with your rebuttal if you want to continue this conversation, but I'm done hijacking this thread.