The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2009, 07:57 PM   #1
celtgun

22 Hornet/Lil Gun Reload Questions

Anyone with long term use of Lil Gun in 22 Hornet experience? Have seen info on problems with this powder in handguns, does it effect barrell life in Hornet.
Will be reloading for CZ and Springfield M6. Also, what primer is best for Hornet?
Old November 12, 2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Sam06

I don't know about Barrel life but its a VERY good powder in the Hornet. I really like it behind the a 33 gr bullet. It shoots like a laser in my CZ, Savage 219 and Winchester M43.
Old November 12, 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
farmall

I load for 3 Hornets, including an M6 Scout. Neat little package, ain't it? I use Lil'Gun for all and couldn't be happier. My standard load is 13gn of this (you may not be able to fit this into a new, unfired case) under a 40gn Vmax. Some claim pistol primers give best accuracy, but I have not had the best luck with that. I prefer to use a benchrest rifle primer.

The Savage model 40 I use for a lot of prairie dog shooting has shown no barrel wear that I can detect in @ 10000 rounds so far. My opinion is that it would take a lifetime of shooting to wear out the barrel on a Hornet, with any suitable type of powder.

Andy
Old November 13, 2009, 09:35 AM   #4
twice barrel

Celtgun,

I cannot speak to LilGun and I no longer own a Hornet. But I can say that mine never really settled down until Accurate 1680 came along. Used it with various pills from 45gr to 52 gr. and as I recall, CCI small rifle primers.

Can't say why but between my buddies and I this powder made average rifles tackdrivers and outright fun to shoot.

Regards,

TB
Old November 13, 2009, 09:58 AM   #5
farmall

Need to quit the late night, sleep deprived posting! I meant to post 1000 rounds through my Savage, not 10, 000!

Andy