The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2001, 10:04 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Unburned powder

When working up some extra-light target loads for my wife's Model 60 with 124 gr. bullet and Universal powder in 357 brass I find alot of unburned powder on the chronograph. Is this incomplete ignition caused by the powder not being compacted against the primer? If so what can be done? I have alot of Star Line 357 brass so I would like to continue useing it and heavier charges in this light weight pistol discourages practice.

Thanks,
Bill Daniel
Life Member NRA

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old December 23, 2001, 10:17 PM   #2

Try a heavier crimp.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 24, 2001, 01:40 AM   #3
sricciardelli

How much Universal are you trying to burn in that less than 2" barrel?
Old December 24, 2001, 08:34 AM   #4
Tree Rat

Bill - Universal needs high pressure to work well. It's best in 9mm and .40S&W but not very good in 38 special or 45 ACP......Tree Rat.
Old December 24, 2001, 09:17 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

DISAGREE

Just wrong application.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND Alliant Bullseye or Hodgdon TiteGroup.
Suggest CCI or Federal primers.
Finish with fairly heavy crimp using Redding Profile Crimp die.
Old December 24, 2001, 09:49 AM   #6
Tree Rat

That's cute........just wrong application......does that mean it's good in 38 special and 45 ACP afterall? Let me clarify: Universal works BETTER with higher pressure.....heavy crimp notwithstanding.
I got lots of unburned powder in both calibers throughout the whole load spectrum. BTW: I see no real value in the Redding Die over.....lets say the Dillon when it comes to applying a desireable crimp. Tree Rat.
Old December 24, 2001, 10:28 AM   #7
Bill Daniel

Thank you Gentlemen. I don't have my log book with me so I can't recall the charge of Universal I was useing but it is small (again for extra light target loads). I reload on a Dillon SDB so I can't use the Redding die anyway but will try for a tighter crimp. Has anyone ever... correction... is it safe to use something over the powder to fill up the case space? If so what? Are Federal and CCI primers "hotter" than Winchester (WSP)?
Thanks again for your experienced counsel.
Bill Daniel
Life Member NRA

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old December 24, 2001, 11:07 AM   #8
tonyz

Agree with Tree Rat On the Universal Clays.

I have to raise my pressure fairly high to get Universal clays to burn completely in the 38/357. I concur with WESHOOT2 that bullseye or Titegroup also W-231 work well for the lower pressure loads in the 38/357 Cal.

Tony

Old December 24, 2001, 03:33 PM   #9
stans

You can use a small amount of Dacron ( the stuff inside most pillows these days ) over a light powder charge to keep it packed against the primer. I really think a faster powder such as Bullseye, W-231, or Accurate Arms #2 would be easier to use and eliminates much of the need for filler. There is a good article on powder position in the November/December 2001 issue of American Handgunner. The gist of the article indicated that powder positioned against the primer gave higher velocities than powder positioned against the base of the bullet. I can't recall where I saw the article on Dacron wads.
Old December 25, 2001, 01:16 AM   #10
Tree Rat

Yep...WEESHOOT's right on the Titegroup alright......low SD's like Bullseye but much cleaner. Merry Christmas everyone. Just opened my Dillon SL-900.....woooo whoo. Tree Rat.
Old December 25, 2001, 07:09 AM   #11
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I agree with WE SHOOT 2, for his choice in this
handloading application.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
Old December 25, 2001, 03:22 PM   #12
Gary H

I've only used Universal in 9mm, .40 and .45 and have found incomplete ignition, except with heavier charges. I tried loading light and heavy taper crimps. The 9mm seemed to take to lighter loads and heavy crimps with less residue. Works great in a shotgun.
Old December 25, 2001, 05:15 PM   #13
Bill Daniel

Thanks to all! I will try the Titegroup. A blessed Christmas to all and a prosperous New Year.
Bill Daniel
Jesus is born, Jesus is lord, Immanuel
Old December 26, 2001, 07:06 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

JUST FOR ME

Universal Clays works EXACTLY like Unique, except for the sooty-burning lousy-metering unstable-in-varying-temperature part.

Ballistic equivalent of Unique, almost to the tenth of a grain.

I use it in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 41AE, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, 45ACP. It's my favorite powder for my IPSC Major loads in 357, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and soon 45 Colt!
(Discovered 44 HKS speedloaders PERFECTLY hold 45 Colt for feeding my Redhawks! Whooooooeeeeeeeee!!!!!)

I've noticed sligtly greater consistency when using CCI or Federal primers (R-P, too, for that matter), and NO LONGER USE Winchester primers in ANY commercial loads unless specified by customer (using them up in my personal crap).
Old December 28, 2001, 11:10 PM   #15
Chemistry

Interesting...

I find that 5.2 grains of Universal Clays burns quite cleanly when using 230 grain Berry's TCJ-RN bullets, 1.260" COAL, Winchester Large Pistol Primers, 0.421" crimp with a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die.

The newly reformulated Unique is much cleaner burning than the old stuff, and seems to meter much more consistently.