The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 9, 2001, 07:53 PM   #1
k77/22rp

How effective is this is it comparable to 12ga and what is the maximum range of a 20ga slug to be effective on a whitetail deer,and this should probably be in the shotgun forum but what is the tightest choke that you could shoot slugs out of? Can you buy a rifled slugger barrel for a mossberg 500 20ga.TIA
Old May 9, 2001, 10:49 PM   #2
biganimal

my son and I use 20 ga shotguns for whitetail in upstate ny with very good results. they perform as well as 12s but one must remember the key to swift kill is shot placement....even a 12 ga slug will let the deer run & run & run if it goes in where it should'nt have.....yes the 20 ga mossy 500 can be had with a rifled slug barrel
Old May 10, 2001, 06:02 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've taken a few whitetails with a 20 and Brenneke slugs, taken many more with a 12 and slugs. I see no difference in effect or length of blood trails, IF the slugs are inserted properly.

Note, we have used some of the sabot loads in 12 ga for herd control. Blood trails run longer, and while we've managed to find them all, it took more effort and had a higher risk of loss, IMO. I'd stick to bore diameter slugs like the older Forster types and the various Brennekes. These do not shoot best in rifled bbls.

The Shotgun Forum has lots of old threads on this very subject, a little research will get you plenty of input....