The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 29, 2013, 09:18 PM   #51
Moiecol

Crosman 1322 multi pump, Walmart $56 I yet to shoot a squirrel at short distance but 15 yards my groups are tight. The squirrels have gotten to know me so when I come out they run. So it's possible, so I use peanut butter and use the tree as a backstop

Old September 29, 2013, 09:38 PM   #52
Moiecol

As for my shots heart/lungs does well, because either way for a squirrel it's going to hurt. As I stated before use the tree as a backstop, now for quiet shot I used my .22 pcp / 800 fps. At night I take care of the rats when available. When I shot the second rat, the third rat was over a foot away hiding in the shadows

Last edited by Moiecol; September 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old September 30, 2013, 03:40 PM   #53
Obambulate

The Crosman Custom Shop lets you design a customized .22 pistol with a choice of barrels, muzzles, grips, and optics. They are based on the tried and true 2240 C02 pistol. A longer barrel will provide more velocity. The pistol is limited to 7", 10", and 14" barrels. The carbine offers 18" and 24" barrels.

http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop
Old September 30, 2013, 03:53 PM   #54
jimbob86

Quote:
I have shot several right through the head with a .22 that jumped all over the place and took quite a bit of time to die.
I've shot rabbits in the head with a bow and judo-pointed arrows ..... popped their eyes right out of their heads, exposed brain matter and the whole 9 yards, yet they flopped around for nearly a minute, running off to bunny heaven, I guess....... CNS hits don't always mean lights out right now. Hits to the center of the chest sometime shut them off quicker....... sometimes not .....
Old September 30, 2013, 10:33 PM   #55
JohnKSa
Staff

Destroying the brain ends the life of the animal. It does not mean that motion ends.

Because the heart is still beating and oxygen is getting to the muscles, they still respond to any output from the brain. Given that the brain is now no longer operating properly, that output is scrambled nonsense. So the muscles move but not according to any set pattern. It can be disturbing to new hunters, but it's not indicative of suffering.
Old September 30, 2013, 11:59 PM   #56
Slowhand

Forget the pistol

Back in 2009 I picked up a Gamo Whisper from Dicks Sporting goods for $250.00. It had a cheap scope but I was able to crank it down and eliminated a Ninja Tree Rat problem. I tried all the humane methods to no avail. Since I didn’t want to alarm the neighbors and have a SWAT convention on the front lawn it seemed to be a good idea.

A .177 Cal 4.5 mm Hunting Pellet will do the job. Distances from 30 to 60 feet.
Old October 1, 2013, 04:02 AM   #57
alex0535

Instead of an airgun pistol I would want a Ruger MKIII .22 with an integral suppressor on it.

Basically this. It is as about as quiet as an airgun, but has most of the squirrel killing energy of a .22 pistol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki1cSGkyX30

Check on your local silencer hunting laws if considering. We are not allowed to hunt with them here but I think CO is ok with it.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:40 AM   #58
bedbugbilly

If a 22 is not viable - then I have to assume you are not in a rural area - i.e. too many houses around, etc. If that is the reason that you can't use a .22 - what makes an air pistol any less dangerous - i.e. hitting houses, people, etc.?

Get a live trap . . . squirrels aren't that hard to catch. Trap 'em, take 'em for a ride and transplant 'em. I live on a farm and there are certain critters that need to be "dispatched" - especially woodchucks as they can burrow in a field and do lot's of damage to equipment. However, even on the farm, I am very adar of where my projectile will be going. I utilize live traps often and then transplant them in an area where they are far enough away but in an area where their activities won't cause damage.

If you own firearms, then you should be award of the safety rules that pertain to them such as always being aware of your backdrop, dangers of rickhchets, always treat it as if it were loaded, etc. etc. Just because a handgun or rifle propels a projectile by air, doesn't make it any different than a firearm that utilizes a propellent. They can be just as dangerous and can cause bodily harm if not utilized correctly.

I have lost count of the many, many windows that I have repaired that were broken by air guns. (My family had a lumberyard and we repaired windows). Most of them were the result of someone trying to shoot a critter without thinking what was behind it. We even had a guy in our town who owned a car repair shop that had a problem with a raccoon in his building - he decided to shoot the coon with a 22. Unfortunately, he missed - the slug went through wall and went through the windshield of a phone company van parked next to a restaurant next door - he slug lodged in the driver's seat. Needless to say, the garage owner was in hot water - what if the driver of the van had been sitting in the van when that happened?

I'm just saying that if you live where you can't use a 22 - then there's a reason. If you decide to use an air gun, use common sense and be safe. Like a bullet, once that pellet leaves the barrel, you have no control over it. Squirrels love corn or big sunflower seeds - get a live trap and put some inside - they'll find it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 1, 2013, 08:16 PM   #59
redneck

This is the only pistol I have come across I'd consider viable for small game, and it comes with a very big price tag. Don't forget that you need a compressor or hand pump for it, as well as some sort of optics since it doesn't have sights.
It does sport some pretty impressive numbers though

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Evanix...r_AR6/961?ab=1
Old October 3, 2013, 06:20 AM   #60
Moiecol

Bedbugbilly:
It's sound far different from your recent post just above
(If a .22 not viable)
(A different pest control rifle) Oct 1, 2013
Please excuse my ignorance . . . it's been probably 50 years since i have shot a pellet gun. Back then, we had a Benjamin pistol and a Sheridan rifle. Both pumped up - the more you pumped, the greater the pressure, etc. I've seen air rifles in some LGS but never paid much attention to them. I'm sure the technology has changed greatly. Just how do the current ones work? Are they pumped up like the old Benjamins/Sheridans or is there a different technology that gives you the air pressure?

Pests for me are venomous snakes, squirrels, and other small critters. Air rifles today are worlds away from the BB guns we had as kids I soon found out. The Black magic throws pellets at over 1,000fps

Last edited by Moiecol; October 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old October 3, 2013, 08:39 AM   #61
dahermit

Quote:
Air rifles today are worlds away from the BB guns we had as kids I soon found out.
That be true. When I was a kid, cheap, inaccurate Daisy's for us poor kids, Benjamin's, Sheridan's for the rich kids. Nowadays, when someone mentions "air rifle", they are talking about an adult product with accuracy that rivals firearm accuracy at short range and priced accordingly. The kid stuff we had was junk.
Old October 3, 2013, 08:59 AM   #62
kln4

dahermit:
That's true, I still have my first Daisy BB gun from the 50's. The spring is weak now, I don't think it'll even go 10' but I still have it hanging in the basement.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:39 PM   #63
TheFlash

I have a Crosman 2100 Classic that I got back in the early 1980's (when I was just starting high school).
Kept it in near new condition and only a few months ago put a BB through the eye socket of a squirrel in a tree at ~30 feet.
This was with open sights - still have not yet gotten around to mounting that scope...

Get a decent 'budget' rifle like the Crosman 2100 Classic, take care of it through the years and it'll take care of you...

Cheers,
Mike
Old January 19, 2017, 10:08 AM   #64
robert7834

Benjamin Trail NP Air Pistol .177

I used the break barrel Benjamin Trail NP Air Pistol .177 600 FPS for close range squirrel pest control and eliminated 6 last year. All were close range (under 10 yards) with mostly head shots. It killed them humanely.

I now have a stock Crosman 2240 .22cal rated at 460FPS, but being a .22cal it can go slower with the same similary stopping power to my .177 NP, so we'll see. I haven't bagged any yet. I only use pointed pellets because air pistols at low FPS, there won't be any expansion of hollow points. At low velocity, I want as much penetration as possible, so I go with the pointed pellets. If I had a high FPS air rifle, then I'd go with the hollow points.
Old January 19, 2017, 11:16 AM   #65
Texas45

I use my GAMO 22 cal break barrel rifle.
However I dont shoot tree rats aka squirrels unless I plan on eating um. I let them be unless they are a nuisance. I have my house squirrel proofed as far as attic access.
They torment my dog sometimes but its nothing worth killing um over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2017, 07:32 PM   #66
Snyper

This is a 4 year old thread that will probably get locked soon.
If you want to talk about air guns it's best to start a new one.
Old January 20, 2017, 11:20 AM   #67
shurshot

I have a Benjamin / Crosman HB22 .22 caliber pump up pistol, only shoots a little over 400FPS, but works fine on small furry pests that rob my bird feeders. I prefer lighter wadcutters, as the reduced weight helps the projectile gain a bit of speed. In my rifle, Benjamin 392, which has more power, I prefer hollow points. Shot placement is the key!

Tags
airgun , airgun comparison , squirrels