The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2012, 08:35 PM   #26
SL1

QuickLOAD is educational

If the user is the type of person who wants to understand WHY and how much changing some of the loading variables changes the resulting pressure and velocity, then using QuickLOAD will be interesting and educational, which will enhance his/her safety as well as enjoyment.

On the other hand, if the user is the type of person who is really just looking for a way to make bullets go even faster than the reloading data in the manuals, then it would be dangerous, because it is not a perfect simulation of the internal ballistics. (Not meaning to insult the OP; remember that a lot of people will read this post.)

SL1
Old August 29, 2012, 09:41 PM   #27
Adamantium

If you are into tinkering and experimenting it makes a lot of sense. If you are into saving money then it make much less sense. I'm into saving money and reload common cartridges so I passed on buying it.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:55 PM   #28
jwrowland77

Well see I'm at the point I want to tinker safely. And I think the learning aspect of seeing everything would help me a lot. I love stuff like that.
Old August 29, 2012, 10:00 PM   #29
Adamantium

I guess you would have to define tinkering. To me long seating a bullet so you can put more of a slow for caliber powder in a rifle case is tinkering. If I was doing that I'd be using quickload and comparing it against a chronograph. OTOH loading XTPs into my 45 using load data meant for a Gold Dot is not tinkering in my mind. The most adventurous thing I do is reduced rifle loads using Green Dot and 2400. I don't need quickload for that.
Old August 29, 2012, 10:03 PM   #30
jwrowland77

Well I'd think playing with OAL, case fill, different powders etc.
Old August 29, 2012, 10:07 PM   #31
dunerjeff

One of the things that interested me when I first got my QL was the impact on pressure seating debth made in some calibers. 9mm did some fast pressure changes with some powders just by seating the bullet .01 deeper. Reminded me to pay close attention to charge variances when playing with oal.
Old August 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #32
jwrowland77

I shoot a lot of 9mm, even more lately since I started shooting steel challenge with it. I'm currently trying to find a good light load with still enough pop to cycle gun consistently but light on recoil enough for a quick follow up shot, along with making sure they run through my mag easy enough.
Old August 30, 2012, 04:09 PM   #33
Clark

You never know what uses you will grow into, once you play with a tool.
For years, all the chronograph did for me was internet bragging, "My 223 did 4200 fps.."
Then I started using Quickload, and I need the chrono to make sure I am operating the QL right.
And now I am hunting long range, I use QL to predict the bullet drop & wind drift and I need the chrono to check the velocity.

This year, 2012, I will take hunting; Quickload, chronograph, bullets, powder primers, brass, and dies. I will use local reloading presses and find cardboard for targets locally. I get there a week before hunting season and shoot at up to 600 yards with a bi pod. I will make a drop chart to strap to my range finder.

That is a far cry from why I originally bought Quickload.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 30, 2012, 04:57 PM   #34
jwrowland77

Well that's pretty awesome. Yeah I've asked my folks for a chrono for Christmas this year. Looks like I will be getting QL myself for my birthday.
Old August 30, 2012, 05:01 PM   #35
jwrowland77

I actually could have used QL today. I was going to the range to shoot some rounds. Well I had some bullets that shot fine out of my pistol while at the range, but once I used them in a Steel Challenge match, come to find out they were not cycling like they should. So I decided to shorten them, which I knew was safe by the manual but wanted to double check. Luckily, someone on the forum ran the numbers for me.

I think as soon as I get paid, I'll be buying QL to have in my reloading bench. The thing I like is, say if I want to go from the OAL to another what will or how will that change the psi. Looks like it'll be a good tool to have on my bench.
Old August 31, 2012, 10:22 AM   #36
1stmar

4200 fps in 223!!