The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2001, 04:11 PM   #1
Hunter1018

Which gun is right me me 870 or 500

This is my first post and my first day viewing your forum.

My father has told me that he will get me a new gun for Christmas. I am thinking about asking for a 12 gauge mossberg 500, but i heard a Remington 870 is also a good gun.

I can't decide which to get. A friend of mine has a 20 gauge mossberg 500 and he seems to like his decision.

So if anyone has some information I can use to help make my decision, please help me.
Old December 9, 2001, 04:22 PM   #2
Will Beararms

Run, don't walk to the 870. There's no comparsion between the two and the 870 is a better weapon. Do a search on the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 and find out for yourself.
Old December 9, 2001, 04:55 PM   #3
44rugerfan

I'd go for the 870, given the choice. Go to a gun store and rack the slide on both guns and I think you will understand.
Old December 9, 2001, 05:54 PM   #4
Hunter1018

Thanks alot for your opinions
Old December 9, 2001, 06:15 PM   #5
Hunter1018

Thanks again for your opinions.

Does anybody reading this have a 870, and if you do do you have a scope on it. What kind. I am going to use this shotgun for hunting deer being that i can't use rifles in my neck of the woods.
Old December 9, 2001, 06:16 PM   #6
9mmMike

Howdy and welcome to the most helpful gun-spot in the world.
Spend some time with that SEARCH button (set aside a bunch of time though ) and you will find tons of priceless information about shotguns.
My vote is also for the 870. I have two now and it would not be possible for me to be happier with my choice.
I have a friend with a Mossy and it is an OK SG but it "seems" cheap compared to my 870. Make no mistake that the Mossy has a good reputation and will likely be a fine weapon that will last for years but.....
I'm just thrilled with my 870's.
Let us know what you get and how you like it.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 9, 2001, 06:30 PM   #7
k77/22rp

I have a Mossberg 500 and like it, 500 will not last as long as an 870 because the receiver is aluminum, but for your intended uses, your not going to wear either one out.

Go to a gun store and hold each one, see which one feels better in your hands, and which one fits you better, thats really all that matters.
Whichever ones more comfortable for you to shoot.
I'd say there's no real difference in accuracy, shooting slugs.
With my mossberg 500 I can consistently hit a paper plate at 100yds with open sights.

and you dont live in detroit anymore, you moved remember.

I told you this was a great place, didnt I.
Old December 9, 2001, 06:57 PM   #8
Hunter1018

yeah you did
Old December 9, 2001, 07:58 PM   #9
Will Beararms

I would get the shotgun with a standard 26" or 28" barrel and get a Hastings rifled barrel through Cabela's after the fact. A scope is the only way to go as it will drastically increase your accuracy. I suggest a 4X and sabot slugs.
Old December 9, 2001, 08:10 PM   #10
rugerfreak

For your 1st shotgun go with the 870---I just got rid of mine because there was a little Glock in the case calling my name.

I still have a Mossberg 500 Turkey---short ported barrel--camo---turkey and mod tubes.----A Baikal 12ga SxS and a Charles Daly 20ga semi-auto.

The ones I have left--seem to fit my needs better---but none of them are like the tank 870.

When I'm ready to get another shotgun---I think I'll go with the 870 3.5in. Super Mag Express with 26in barrel and synthetic stock-----for just around $300---its a bargain.
Old December 9, 2001, 08:26 PM   #11
Labuyo

I made a mistake of buying a mossberg 500 before, its just doesn't compare to 870, mine would automatically engage the safety each time I fire it(very safe weapon, eh!) and the forearm rattles like hell! I own an 870 now and never looked back . Winchester 1300 would be a good choice too, as it offers a fast slide action and its lighter than an 870. It would be my choice for IPSC 3 gun match. But for hunting and field use I'll go with an 870 anytime! 'hope this helps and safe shooting!
Old December 9, 2001, 09:08 PM   #12
Hunter1018

Thanks again for your views and opinions.
Old December 9, 2001, 09:29 PM   #13
Cosmoline

I have a 500 that's been through police service and rough use as a contractor's shotgun in AK. It still works great. The biggest advantage of the 500 is the safety, which is in the same place as a hammer on an old rifle. Makes it very easy to tell if it's on or not.
Old December 9, 2001, 09:41 PM   #14
k77/22rp

and the slide release is also in a good position.

Or.....get a Benelli Nova instead http://www.benelliusa.com/nova_pump/

I dont have any first-hand experience with it, but i hear its great!!!
looks really cool too.
Just about anything you get is gonna be a huge improvement over that ancient stevens your using now.

p.s. Come over tomarrow and see my mauser (its done)
Old December 9, 2001, 11:59 PM   #15
rugerfreak

Only thing about the Nova's is that they rattle a lot---if that matters to you. Every one I picked up in the store rattled.

Benelli makes a recoil-reducing system for the Nova too----but I don't know if it actually works.
Old December 10, 2001, 06:41 AM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If you get the 870, your great grandchildren will thank you for it.

The Mossie's OK, but the 870 has built a rep for near supernatural reliability and longevity. More options exist also.

If your deer hunting runs to close shots, the open sighted, short "Deer" bbls work well. Adding a scope may hinder, not help your success rate, depending on type of cover, shot opp distance, and style of hunting.

Please take the time to check out the Archives. It has much input of worth.
Old December 10, 2001, 11:18 AM   #17
9mmMike

Anybody else read the not so subtle shot that Benelli took at the "50's technology" shotguns? If theirs is good, then just say it's good and be done with it. Sheesh.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 10, 2001, 07:26 PM   #18
Hunter1018

I agree with most of you when you say go with the 870. I had a couple of my hunting buddies tell me about the 870 and it seems to work for them. They got three deer this year so far.

And you know that you shouldn't be talking about the stevens model 820. It got more deer in my first year with it then your mossberg 500 did for you this year. k77/22rp
Old December 10, 2001, 07:47 PM   #19
tranders

The only thing about Mossbergs that is better than a Remington is the placement of the safety.
Old December 11, 2001, 04:17 PM   #20
Cavè Canem

and the only thing better about an 870 then a Mossberg is the name.

Get the one that fits you, both are quality weapons and will last you a life time. MB are a little less expensive then Remington but will work as long as you want it too.

I have a MB500A, great gun, never fails to fire. My friend has an 870, coated with rust within the first month, only holds 5 rounds and jams on him. Could be lemon b/c I know he takes care of his weapons but you never know.

Play with them both at the store and see what you like, both are quality firearms.
Old December 11, 2001, 05:04 PM   #21
swampgator

Quote:
I have a Mossberg 500 and like it, 500 will not last as long as an 870 because the receiver is aluminum, but for your intended uses, your not going to wear either one out.
I have two Mossys that were given to me, a 20 and a 12. Neither were cleaned until about two years ago. The 20 (26" mod choke), I got a 13 and have put countless rounds thru it. Nice litte gun. It may wind up getting cut back to 24" and have tubes put in it.

The 12 has seen less rounds but is just as old. Neither have had any problems that were resolved by a thorough cleaning.

About the aluminum receiver, I worked on one that a resturant owner had. It was an older 18" pistol gripped cruiser that he had kept on a shelf above the fry vats. When the action was cycled it would lock up in the open position. I swapped all parts with new ones out of a current production gun. Jammed up with new parts too. Finally he sent it back to Mossy where they figured he had warped the receiver probably due to subjecting it to constant and excessive heat. And BTW cooking grease is a horrible lube! LOL!

Given that someone else is picking up the tab I'd say go for the 870. There are more options for it, depending on your intended use. Also the design of the Mossy mag tube precludes the use of extended mag tubes, if that is of importance to you.
Old December 14, 2001, 01:14 PM   #22
Brian Newbill

I have noticed that alot of people seem to look down on the Mossy because of the aluminum reciever. But I know that the Browning Gold series has aluminium recievers as does (I think) the Benelli M-1 series and no one seems to worried about their durability.

I would rather have a steel reciever but an aluminum reciever should not be a reason to reject a weapon.

I want a BPS. Safety similar to Mossy but steel reciever.

I did want an 870 but I don't want Remigton trying to limit my capacity or add a safety feature that I don't want. (That key locking safety button is really annoying)
Old December 18, 2001, 11:33 PM   #23
sheaman

Is the 870 avail in 20 Gauge??

If not whats the equivalent to the 870 in terms of being the old yeller no brainer?????
Old December 19, 2001, 01:58 AM   #24
part swede

Yes, I have a new 870 Express in 20 gauge, and the comparison with the 500 was a no-brainer for me. In 20 ga. there are no options like extended magazines and few choices of barrels, though. I'm still waiting for that $25 rebate, 10 weeks later (that offer expired in November, BTW).
Old December 19, 2001, 02:27 AM   #25
cuerno de chivo

Got a Moss 600 that is OLD. Its aluminum receiver is holding up fine.