The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 12, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1
HiBC

1911 ejection

This is a work in progress.I have an old Randall Raider Commander clone.I Just fitted an Ed Brown semi-drop in bbl.That came out nice,the old one fit very loose.Shooting it,ejection was unreliable.It was extracting,and not a smokestack,but the brass doesn't always leave the port.The original extractor;the hook was bearing in the bottom of the groove of the case.I just decided to get a new EdBrown extractor.It looks like they already did the subtle shaping.The case snaps under with tension.Its not completely wrong,as fired cases will feed and chamber from the mag just dropping the slide.
On the boltface area of the slide,on the ejector side,machining isn't perfect.Some standing steel in the corner is peventing the case head from fully sitting flat on the slide.I did a little riffler work,need to do a bit more.
But,still,drop the slide on brass,it chambers.Rack the slide back,the brass spins around and stays in the slide.
I have not altered the port.I wasn't really thinking of lowering it.I may do the flare.It has the short,original ejector.Is fitting a long ejector my next step?Brand recommendation?
I will finish cleaning the corner on the bolt face first.
Old September 13, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
mkk41

Most gunsmiths will tell you that you should never drop the slide on a chambered round. It will bend the extractor hook , which will then lose tension and not hold case with enough grip for the ejector to get a good wack at it.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
RickB

Are you basing your concerns solely on the hand cycling? Or, you have the same problem when shooting? When you hand cycle it, and the brass spins around and stays in the port, is there a mag in the gun? If so, is it loaded or empty?
Old September 14, 2011, 02:33 AM   #4
HiBC

I absolutely agree its a bad idea to drop slide on chambered brass!It is bad for the extractor.I guess I was not clear,I put a piece of empty,fired brass in the magazine and dropped the slide.It fed up from the mag and chambered,easily,several times.That seems like a good thing.
Now,mag still in,I briskly pull the slide back,the brass spins,but stays in the slide.Mag in,but now empty.Mag is A Wilson,with the parallel vs old style lips.Follower is concave original.
I understand,its not the same as shooting.I initially had the problem shooting(WW factory hardball).
Its a ways to go to shoot,and I'd like it to work right next time.
So,it has the original ejector,which probably should work.I know how to use a Bridgeport,and have access to one.I can fit an ejector,I'm just looking to find out if fitting an extended ejector may be the solution,or if I should consider other things first.Thanks for your response!

Last edited by HiBC; September 14, 2011 at 02:39 AM.