The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 5, 2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

1911 Parts Upgrade Question

My PT1911 Taurus is showing signs of negative sear engagement. I suspect it is the hammer and not the sear. Is there a way to determine if it is the hammer hooks or the sear without taking it all apart and looking at the angles? My local gunsmith may be able to stone the hammer hooks or shape up the sear, but I was thinking, instead of doing this, how about I get rid of these crappy soft metal parts anyways.

I'm looking at wilson parts and ed brown. Has anyone replaced parts in the PT1911? It is my understanding that these guns don't take GI spec parts very well - although I have also heard of people having no problem with drop in parts. In anycase, any 1911 needs fitted parts...

If I change the hammer and sear, is it recommended that the disconnector be replaced as well? Is the PT1911 disconnector the same size as a GI spec? I am also looking to replace the stupid ambi-safety with a standard right-handed safety.

Might as well fit a trigger too. Any suggestions?
Old May 9, 2010, 09:09 PM   #2
zippy13

I can't believe you're reluctant to remove your hammer and sear for a look-see. Using your methodology, I would have replaced a $1,200 Perazzi trigger that had gone bad -- in reality a raveling, from my cleaning cloth, had lodged itself in the works and had initially gone unnoticed.

Your PT 1911 is true to Model 1911 pistol standard dimensions -- this means you can replace any of the gun's accessories or components with any other Model 1911 aftermarket parts you want. Of course, there may be minor fitting or adjustment required just like any other Model 1911.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:17 PM   #3
10-96

If you've got issues with "crappy soft metal parts" and "stupid ambi safety"- mightn't it be time to look towards SA, one of the Phillipino makes, the new Remington, or something? I'm just sayin'- it sounds like you don't think very highly of it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 10, 2010, 01:55 AM   #4
zippy13

I was under the impression that the PT 1911 offered a lot of bang for the buck. Granted, the Taurus extra safety features may be a little funky, but so are the ones on the new Colts. And, don't expect the PT 1911 to endure like a custom Model 1911 costing four+ times more.

Instead of throwing a lot of new custom parts at his PT 1911, perhaps the OP would better served by correcting any hammer sear engagement irregularities and trade it in on a higher-grade model. Putting expensive parts on a entry level gun has a very low pay-back.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:25 PM   #5
BigJimP

I would recommend Wilson's parts for any 1911 - but they will all need to be custom fit - into a Wilson gun or any other 1911. They intentionally make the parts - so their gunsmiths have to custom fit them.

There is some discussion on whether standard 1911 parts will fit a Taurus. I understand some of the new Taurus frames are more uniform with traditional 1911's frames / but some of the older ones - you may have some bigger issues / and getting things to fit might be really frustrating. I have not worked on a Taurus - so I don't have any personal experience with their frames.

But yes, I would completely rebuild it / or as much of it as you can ...if you want to keep the gun .....hammer, sear, trigger, disconnecter, etc all of it.

Many Taurus models are selling for at or below $400 - $500 in my area / and base prices for a Wilson Combat ( like a 5" CQB ) are $ 2,550 - so more or less 5 to 6 times what you pay for a Taurus... But if you can make the parts fit / you will end up with a very good gun after you're done / unless the frame or slide fails....and at that point, its time to cut your losses and move on, in my opinion.

But you really need to ask yourself if you want to keep this gun / before you get $ 300 in parts and 100+ manhours into it rebuilding it .....
Old May 10, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6
New2GA

I would consider talking to your local smith to see if it were a project he would take on, if he chokes and blows coffee through his nose then I wouldn't consider it beyond contacting Taurus for warranty work; If he says sure no problem then you might consider it if you were mechanically inclined enough and understood how to check the multiple safety stages of a 1911 to be certain it had all been fitted properly and safely. Most smiths I've talked to don't have an attitude about this brand vs that beyond a preferance but who doesn't have a preferance, and are willing to let you know if you are about to make a gun uniquly yours as you will never recover your costs as well as when to leave well enough alone.

I've got a SA 1911 A1 that I've put a few bucks into that I most likely won't get back however I'm not looking to sell it.

Just a few thoughts.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:35 PM   #7
rdmallory

I swapped my hammer and sear out with Wilson parts right after I purchased mine with no issues to remove the lock. It is the Stainless PT1911. I also replaced the thumb safety which did take some rework of the safety.

Doug