The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
praetorian97

Brass Catching

What do you guys do to retrieve your brass?

I know when you are out at the range its easier to find your brass but on open shoots in the desert its kind of a pain. When I with others I feel like a bother when I have to hold them up so I can find all my brass on the ground.

Tarp or painters cloth?
Old May 12, 2011, 12:50 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Pick it up later.

Hire midgets (children) to do it.

Use brass that isn't important to pick up (near-the-end-of-its-life, for example).

....Or set up a proper firing line, where you don't have to stop all shooting activities, just to pick up some brass.

I shoot in the desert/mountains, as well. We generally help pick up each other's brass, and don't have issues with having to stop some one else's shooting.

It's pretty easy to draw a line in the dirt, if your fellow shooters don't understand how an improvised firing line works.
Old May 12, 2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Roaddog

If your not walking around and just shooting in one spot I lay a small blue tarp down.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
praetorian97

Hehe I like the hiring kids part. My daughters only 11 months so we have a few more years left before I can use her for slave labor.

Brings me back to the days my dad use to make me pick up brass and I thought it was fun.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:25 AM   #5
Diamond LawDawg

Outdoors

One spot..table/standing..targets out in front/down range ...I find my ejection pattern..1911 45acp/Tommy gun and Colt LE6940 I tarp the area and have at it................
Old May 13, 2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Qtiphky

Screens or Sheets

If I am shooting rifles from a bench, I have made a standing screen from old window screens that sits on the bench right next to me and deflects the brass down.

If I am standing, I watch where the brass goes and try and put a sheet in the area or hang it to direct it all down into one place. We pick up all the brass we can find after each round so it doesn't build up and get forgotten. Usuall one of us will watch or catch the brass so we don't lose any.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Lemmon

AR-15 and other rifles try this site.

I have one of these brass catchers for my AR-15. It works.

Web site: http://www.elmfg.com/store/univbc.html

CATCHER WILL FIT ALL FLAT-TOP STYLE RECEIVERS THAT UTILIZE A PICATINNY RAIL.

Lemmon
Old May 13, 2011, 10:32 PM   #8
carprivershooter

home made

I took an old fishing landing net cut the net off; then took a mess laundry bag and wire tied it to the landing net frame. The frame is about 10 ins. in dia. on a 18 in handle. I then found and old tri-pod and was able to take the center tube and cut the head off' the the net handle fits inside the tube. works very well and is fairly adjustable. the only problem is using it prone