The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 14, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
mwrks

Unregistereed Handgun in Az. - Registration Required?

So we have recently relocated to Arizona from Ohio from California...

I have had this unregistered handgun, which I purchased from a friend in California, almost 10 years ago.

I would like to (possibly) start taking this piece with us on trips as we travel to San Diego (too close to Mexico for me) - is there issues with this?

Am I req'd to register this gun?

Where would i find this info.?

Thanks so much for your input.

Aspiring, responsible gun enthusiast.
Old July 14, 2009, 11:05 PM   #2
ArizonaTRex

not required-as long as you are legal to own a firearm....
don't even bother to carry a loaded firearm into CA, when I had to go to CA, I stopped in Yuma it was then unloaded, ammo placed in a seperate spot and the firearm placed in a locked metal case.

Last edited by ArizonaTRex; July 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added more
Old July 14, 2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Notenoughguns

yep, CA law states that the firearm can not be loaded inside your vehicle. Also you must keep either the gun or ammo locked up while transporting it. As far as I know AZ has what I guess you could call lax gun control laws, but you better check that out yourself.

Ca gun laws can be found at the CADOJ web page. Be warned you may need a few years to read all of them.

Personally I would consider my own safety above anything else. take that as you will.
Old July 15, 2009, 12:05 AM   #4
fastforty

Quote:
I have had this unregistered handgun, which I purchased from a friend in California, almost 10 years ago
I wouldn't admit to any one of the facts contained in that statement. Private party handgun sales in Kalifornia *must* to go through an FFL, both of you committed a violation. Figure out a better story as to how you came into possession before any questions get asked.
Old July 15, 2009, 12:23 AM   #5
dandydany

ca. gun laws? you mean CA. ELITE GUN LAWS...!

I'll try to help because it's a BIG question. You better see a lawyer or a para-legal. Advice about carry in car is correct.You and your friend should have gone to a dealer to perform the exchange. Now, it will be difficult for you to make a transfer unless you can locate him. I was going to give you a tip to do that but think I'd better keep it to myself for the time being.It's pretty easy to do and is legal since the ELITE creeps in Sacramento did not think of it . Since you appear to have access to a computer, do your search on Google or other search engines. Just write your questions in and watch.If you have a printer hooked, make copies of articles of interest and take them to a lawyer or para-legal. You can apply for a conceal carry after 12 months residence in SAME county and $195 fee good for two years and renewable according to laws of county of residence. You just go to the sheriff office and get a form . That's all there is to it.Good luck, Dan
Old July 15, 2009, 12:26 AM   #6
ArizonaTRex

AZ doesn't have "lax" guns laws...screw up and they are enforced.

It is just that Ca has weird laws.

Here you want to carry-strap it on! Conceal it OK you need a permit, allows me to carry concealed in other States so I can live with it.
If you want to CCW here in AZ Here is the website- http://ccw.azdps.gov/

Now this I am unsure of-did you purchase the gun before CA required it to need to be registered....
And did the transaction take place in CA or OH... if OH, did they require any registration.....and since you are now in AZ and neither CA or OH laws appply here...does it really matter? but I am not a lawyer.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:04 AM   #7
dandydany

mwrks, I kind of got confused as to your location. My reply apply only to Ca residents and wannabes....Dan
Old July 15, 2009, 01:12 AM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
Private party handgun sales in Kalifornia *must* to go through an FFL
Was that true 10 years ago?
Old July 15, 2009, 01:39 AM   #9
lechiffre

there is no handgun registration in arizona.

i think the ffl for private sales in california started in 2001 or 2002.

if you take the gun back to california on a trip make sure not to take magazines over ten rounds.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old July 17, 2009, 06:45 PM   #10
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrks
I would like to (possibly) start taking this piece with us on trips as we travel to San Diego (too close to Mexico for me) - is there issues with this?
Yes, there is an issue there. Because San Diego is your final destination and you are not just passing through the state on the way to another, FOPA '86 does not protect you, even if the gun is unloaded and locked up in a secure box in the trunk. Since you are stopping in CA and not passing through, if they say it needs to be registered to be in the state, it needs to be registered. I doubt CA has a system in place for out of state individuals to register their handguns for recreational or defensive use in the state, so you are hosed if you get caught with the gun. I have traveled through CA with unloaded and locked up handguns, but I was enroute from AZ to WA State, so FOPA '86 was my legal cover, which you would not have.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old July 17, 2009, 07:17 PM   #11
Deaf Smith

California? Why are you guys going to California? Might as well go to Mexico the way things are going there. And if California keeps sinking deeper in debt you might want to go to Somalia first to be safe..
Old July 17, 2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Steeler Fan

Quote:
I guess you could call lax gun control laws
Most of the rest of us might refer to them as "Common Sense gun laws", unlike the Totalitarian gun laws that exist in the Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia. Most free states don't require you to register your guns.

Last edited by Steeler Fan; July 17, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old July 17, 2009, 07:32 PM   #13
JWT

Sorry, but I don't think Arizona has 'lax' gun laws. They have common sense laws and haven't been infected by the state to the west. No registration required, and that's the way it should be.
Old July 17, 2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Walther22lr

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't think Arizona has 'lax' gun laws.
I agree and I live in AZ.
Old July 18, 2009, 01:52 AM   #15
lechiffre

Quote:
Yes, there is an issue there. Because San Diego is your final destination and you are not just passing through the state on the way to another, FOPA '86 does not protect you, even if the gun is unloaded and locked up in a secure box in the trunk. Since you are stopping in CA and not passing through, if they say it needs to be registered to be in the state, it needs to be registered. I doubt CA has a system in place for out of state individuals to register their handguns for recreational or defensive use in the state, so you are hosed if you get caught with the gun. I have traveled through CA with unloaded and locked up handguns, but I was enroute from AZ to WA State, so FOPA '86 was my legal cover, which you would not have.
if this is the case there is a grace period of 30-90 days or something like that to register your guns in california.

i suppose a former californian could bring a gun that is already registered there.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old July 18, 2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to TFL, mwrks.

mwrks hasn't been back to TFL since he first logged in. So we are just going to have to wait for a lengthier explanation, when he returns.

Generally, guns don't need to be registered in Arizona. That means that the handgun you got from your friend in CA, 10 years ago, is yours. Period.

Taking guns into (not through) CA is problematic. You cannot bring into the State any handgun not on the Safe Gun Roster. This is over and above the notion that a 10+ round magazine makes it an Assault Weapon (I think that's correct - lord, how I hate that term!).

BillCA and/or Jim March can explain all of this in excruciating detail.
Old July 18, 2009, 11:49 AM   #17
NavyLT

Maybe before folks start posting a whole bunch of false firearms restrictions about California, they should read the guide:

Most of the info can be found here:
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/cfl.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipitas
Taking guns into (not through) CA is problematic. You cannot bring into the State any handgun not on the Safe Gun Roster. This is over and above the notion that a 10+ round magazine makes it an Assault Weapon (I think that's correct - lord, how I hate that term!).
FALSE

[QUOTEIZ=interrogator]Yes, there is an issue there. Because San Diego is your final destination and you are not just passing through the state on the way to another, FOPA '86 does not protect you, even if the gun is unloaded and locked up in a secure box in the trunk. Since you are stopping in CA and not passing through, if they say it needs to be registered to be in the state, it needs to be registered. I doubt CA has a system in place for out of state individuals to register their handguns for recreational or defensive use in the state, so you are hosed if you get caught with the gun. I have traveled through CA with unloaded and locked up handguns, but I was enroute from AZ to WA State, so FOPA '86 was my legal cover, which you would not have.[/QUOTE]

Most of that is FALSE.

Here's the simple answer:
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/travel.php
Old July 18, 2009, 07:07 PM   #18
denfoote

The only gun registration we have in the proud Confederate Territory of Arizona is for NFA weapons. (Machine guns to you, son)

If you happen to live in Maricopa County, any decent gun shop, and Sheriff Joe will fix ya right up!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old July 19, 2009, 12:56 PM   #19
A/C Guy

Quote:
So we have recently relocated to Arizona from Ohio from California...

I have had this unregistered handgun, which I purchased from a friend in California, almost 10 years ago.

Am I req'd to register this gun?

Where would i find this info.?
As soon as you get your Az driver's license, consider yourself free from Ca.'s registration requirements.

In Az, you may purchase a handgun without needing to register it. You do not need a receipt to prove where you bought it. With that in mind, stop saying you got it in Ca. Simply say you bought it many, many years ago and you do not remember from whom. End of discussion. (As long as it is not hot)

In Az, you may carry openly with it loaded.

You may keep it loaded in your car in a holster in the glove box or on the seat; but NOT under or between the seats. The latter 2 places are considered concealed. It MUST be in a holster when in the glove box and the holster MUST cover the trigger to satisfy the law.

If you visit Ca, the gun must be locked, cased, unloaded and separate from the ammo. Thus, what is the point of even having it with you; that is the purpose of their laws. I would not take any firearm with me while visiting Ca.

None of this applies until after you get your Az driver's license and plates on your car. Officers never question how long you have lived here to determine if you meet the residency requirements after you have your plates and D.L.