The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2009, 01:34 PM   #1
the machinist

Homemade rotary tumbler??

I want to make a tumbler to polish my brass, I have a couple of idle lathes that I can turn on and let run for a while, I'm wondering what a I could use for a drum..maybe a metal coffee can? pop rivet a couple of small baffles in it? have any of you ever made one? also does walmart carry and suitable material to use for media? thanks!
Old January 24, 2009, 01:39 PM   #2
rthomas7777

Tumbler materials

I have always used walnut shells to tuble my brass, works great.
Old January 24, 2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Wuchak

For media I use corn cob they sell for pet bedding at the pet store. It's the same as the stuff they sell for tumbling but a fraction of the price.

I'd go to the $1 store and get a tupperware type bowl. Chuck it in the lathe and let it go at a low/med speed. The plastic will be quieter and easier on the brass. You could even use a heavy cardboard shipping box. One of the new plastic coffee cans with the screw on lids would also work great.
Old January 24, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Inspector3711

Walmart will carry both walnut shell and corn cob in the pet section usually. Buy some Nu Finish liquid car wax (orange bottle) and put a capfull in. I use both mediums depending on what caliber.

A coffee can will work for awhile but it'll be loud and wear through in time. If you go that route you might line it with rubber that's glued in place. My tumbler canisters are made of rubber not metal.
Old January 24, 2009, 02:42 PM   #5
maggys drawers

I used an old rock polisher prior to getting a vibratory polisher. It worked good, but was a little slower than the vibratory method. I think a coffee can would work well, but be sure to figure out how to keep the lid on, or you will have a mess of biblical proportions. Inspector is right about a metal can being loud. Glue in some cork or neoprene gasket material to deaden the noise down. The tumblers on my polisher were rubber lined and did not have any baffles.

Use the walnut or corn cob bedding that WallyWorld sells. It does the same thing at about half the price. Walnut will clean faster, but cob will give you more of a shine.
Old January 24, 2009, 03:13 PM   #6
bluetopper

A small cement mixer?????
Old January 24, 2009, 05:19 PM   #7
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day.
A large cement mixer
Old January 24, 2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Ronbo1

tumbler

I made this one in the mid 70's from a plan in the American Riflemen magazine. Plywood octagon drum, two pulleys from a old style junked clothes dryer, junked furnace blower motor, cost was $5 for one of the belts I had to buy. I think I got my money's worth, tumbles shiny brass in one hour with fine ground corn cob media and holds hundreds.

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old January 24, 2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Rembrandt

Rotary tumblers are worthless....bought a RCBS Sidewinder years ago (go for $300-$400 today's prices), never did do as nice a job as the vibratory case cleaners no matter what type of media you used. Get a Dillon CV2001.

...but if you're really set on a tumbler, convert an old clothes dryer....should be able to process 10,000 rounds each load.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:56 PM   #10
GoldenRoyBoy

Yes - Dillon ---

Several months ago, I too was in need of a larger tumbling machine. I opted for the Dillon CV-2001; and am so glad I did. It's a monster; a little heavy to pick up. But, worth the cons; and the $180, or so it cost. If you go with it, be sure to pick up one of their CM-500 Case/Media separators also. It's about $44. Both products should last for years. Don't forget plenty of media! The 2001 holds quite a bit of it.

GRB
Old January 24, 2009, 10:47 PM   #11
the machinist

THANKS GUYS! How much media do you at a time? 75% full and the rest with cases?
Old January 26, 2009, 05:54 AM   #12
luis7

Those are two of nime.
A tupperware and fan electric engine.
Bye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0976.JPG (161.2 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0984.JPG (148.7 KB, 530 views)