The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2004, 01:28 PM   #1
lenny7

Newbie: Time and cost per round?

I'm considering getting into reloading, as it sounds pretty appealing. I'm just about settled on getting a .357 and probably won't start reloading for a while after I get it, concentrating first on the proper use of a handgun, as this is my first one other than my .22, and I need to do more reading and research.

The time it takes is a big consideration, as I've got 3 young kids and a heavy workload. I'd like to be able to reload at least 100 rounds per hour, but of couse, more would be better.

Cost is another consideration (kids & a wife who wants new hardwood floors, kitchen redo, etc). I don't have a budget yet, but once I find out the time required for the various types of presses, I'll consider what's affordable.

So my questions are:
With the various types of presses, single-stage, turret, and progressive (do I have that right?), how many rounds per hour can I expect, once I get the hang of it?

For a .357 load, what can I expect the cost per 100 rounds to be, not including the costs of press, dies, etc?

One other consideration is that I might want to reload 30.06 rifle rounds in the future and while not requirement, a system that would allow that would be a plus. I've read the many threads about Dillion vs. Lee vs. RCBS, etc and it appears each brand has their loyal users.

I do like getting high quality stuff, but I have no problem starting with a good value system (not necessarily the cheapest) and upgrading later.

Thanks for your input. I found this board shortly after decided I wanted to purchase a handgun and am amazed at how helpful and friendly it is. I think of the many, many threads I've read I've only seen one that got a bit hot and none that I'd call a flame war. I can think of no other forum I've been on that can say this!

Regards
Pat
Old December 5, 2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Uwe Jeffries

reloading

Hi Lenny
I´ve just read your posting and wanted just wanted to give you my experiences with the matter.
A turret or progressive press would be a good start. I started with a single station RCBS and switched because the amount of rounds I could make was not enough for serious training.
I have an output of 200-350 rounds per hour if everything works fine, but I usually make less because I also find it very relaxing.
Cost and saving I can´t comment on because prices over here in Germany are much higher than in the States. But I save up to 40% here.
If you want to reload 30-06 RCBS might be a good choice because it´s a very strong press and the price is OK. At least over here.
Hope I could be of some help.
From Germany
Uwe
Old December 5, 2004, 03:48 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Lessee, now. Assuming you want to load full-house magnums...
Remington bulk JHPs. $57 a thousand.
Primers $15
Powder $38 (two pounds)
Brass $7.50 (Starline, $75 a thou, 10 uses each)
Total $117.50 per thousand.
For .38 wadcutters, reduce bullet cost by half, powder by 3/4, brass by half.
$28.50 + 15.00 + 9.50 + 3.75 = $56.75.
If you want closer numbers, get some catalogs. Midway and Midsouth are my standbys. Try to get powder and primers locally, hazmat charges will kill you on small orders from afar.

I doubt you will do 100/hr on a single stage, I can't. Maybe on a turret, but many more on a progressive.
Old December 5, 2004, 03:48 PM   #4
kkb

Quote:
For a .357 load, what can I expect the cost per 100 rounds to be, not including the costs of press, dies, etc?
Loading jacketed rounds will run about $16/100, with cast bullets figure about $10/100.

You can pick up kkb's Cartridge Cost Calculater here!
Old December 7, 2004, 05:27 PM   #5
lenny7

Thanks for the all the input. I still don't have a feel for how many rounds per hour each type of press allows. can someone fill in the holes?

Pat
Old December 7, 2004, 05:55 PM   #6
rwilson452

Rounds per Hour

On a Lee turret I could crank out around 200 per hour. As there is some manual work here, placing the case, the bullet and removing the finished product your time may vary. I ususally didn't do it that way as I would do it all in separate steps. I would deprime and size, then use a hand primer to prime. ( note I would do the priming while watching TV as it's a no brainer operation). then i would use a expanding die, seating die and a separate crimping die. I did move up to a Lee loadmaster. I bought a case feeder and bullet feeder both with multitube adapter. with extra tubes for the bullet feeder I would just slip in a fresh loaded tube when one ran dry. Ya gotta watch the powder level too. 500 per hour rate no sweat. but I would usually take a break at some point. i have a bad shoulder and repetitive actions of this sort gets complaints from it.
Old December 7, 2004, 06:01 PM   #7
kkb

I use Dillion's RL-550B, a "progressive" press - i.e. rounds are rotated to various stations by thumbing a sprocket dohicky; once you get going a single pull of the press sizes/deprimes/reprimes one, charges a second, seats a third and crimps a fourth.

It's advertised as being able to do 500-600 rounds per hour. In practice I can get an honest 400-500/hour what with me fumbling brass & bullets, reloading the primer magazine every 100 rounds, cleaning dies as needed etc.

HTH
Old December 8, 2004, 01:25 PM   #8
caz223

I also recommend the Dillon 550, it's not a full progressive, but it does load at least 3 times the rounds per hour, with much less effort.
.357 magnum is a good caliber to reload, and a good caliber to shoot.
There are a few rules of reloading that you may/may not be familiar with.
They are not forthcoming right away, esp. not to the uninitiated.
In no particular order:

You reload to shoot more, not to save money.
You become a better shooter because you shoot more. (So reloading makes you a better shooter.)
The ammo that you shoot over the life of the gun far exceeds the cost of the gun.
Therefore, once the reloading equipment that you have is paid for, you will buy a better gun than the one you have currently.
The choice of caliber will no longer be based on cost of ammunition.
There are calibers that aren't worth reloading.
There are many others......
Old December 8, 2004, 04:22 PM   #9
JoeHatley

Pat, this set of articles from Real Guns may help:

www.realguns.com/archives/reload.htm

www.realguns.com/archives/reload2.htm

www.realguns.com/archives/reload3.htm

Good Luck...

Joe
Old December 8, 2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Boo586

Reloading Time

Well, here is another two cens of information.

I have a Lyman single stage press and turret press. If I was to start over on a budget and did not know if I was going to keep reloading do to a time issue I would go with a basic starter kit from Lee with their new cast iron single stage press, hand primer tool, scale and powder drop. I know this is availble for less than $100. Lee carbide pistol dies (set of 4) are great dies and inexpensive compared to RCBS and Lyman.

After cleaning the brass I deprime/size and flare the case mouth in batches. I can get about 200 pieces of brass done with this step in about an hour, more if I am really hurrying. I too prime brass in front of the TV in batches (I don't count this time, but I can get about 200 done in less than 30 minutes. THe last two or three steps is what take the time. It take me an hour to drop powder and seat/crimp bullets in 150 to 175 prepped cases. Tha number drops to about 100 per hour if I seat and crimp in separate steps.

I only do this to get more accurate ammo to do my serious practice for hunting. My sizing die really sizes the cases down such that case neck tension (the force that the brass case exerts on thebody of the bullet inside the case) is very high. Heavy crimp is not really nessecary with the fast to medium powders, but is needed with the slower powders used for magnum loads.

One last bit of advice: When reloading the 357 magnum for the first time my opinion is that your first pound of powder should be Alliant 2400. It is a slow burning powder that will allow you to load top end 38 special loads and mid to top end 357 magnum loads. It can be ignited reliably with standard and magnum small pistol primers and due to the higher charge weights needed for this powder, you will not be able to double charge a case by accident. If you try, all of the powder will not fit in the case.Boo586
Old December 8, 2004, 11:34 PM   #11
lenny7

Excellent info guys, thanks! The realguns.com articles look really helpful. I'll definitely be reading that. I'm just about fired up enough that I'm ready to go out and buy the equipment now....but wait...first I need to buy a handgun! I've visited 2 local shops and have at least two more to go, maybe 3.

Pat
Old December 9, 2004, 01:00 AM   #12
sledgemeister

I find it costs me about 1/10 of brought ammunition, that is of course buying the projectiles as well, if i moulded my own it would be lot less.
Thats of course here down under, prices over in stars and stripes world may be different
Old December 9, 2004, 03:32 AM   #13
xmastree

Quote:
I still don't have a feel for how many rounds per hour each type of press allows.
FWIW, with my Dillon 550 it takes me about 5 seconds to cycle the handle, rotate the plate and pop in a new empty shell. tHat's with everythig running smoothly.
In theory that equates to 720 per hour. However unless you have an assistant to refill your primer feeder and put the finished rounds back in their cases, it'll take you longer.

I know I've never managed 720 in an hour. There's always the odd problem, where a bit of an old primer can fall and jam the feed mechanism, or something else which just doesn't feel right and you have to stop to investigate.

Take your time and do it right.