The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 4, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Chad.C

Cold weather clothing

Last night I found myself frozen to my treestand because of course I hadn't prepared for the 20 degree tempature and sitting in the most exposed stand didn't help at all. On days like this what do you wear into the woods to keep warm I'm mostly wondering about what to use for a base layer. Thanks
Old November 4, 2013, 11:57 PM   #2
burrhead

Polypro, fleece, or wool if it doesn't make you itch. No cotton.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:02 AM   #3
BarryLee

REI has some good information that might help.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...ng-basics.html
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 5, 2013, 03:05 AM   #4
sigcurious

Good socks(made of the same wicking fabrics listed above), a pair that fit your foot well and into your shoe/boot well does wonders. Wearing extra thick or multiple pairs can have the unintended effect of restricting blood flow, which makes it hard to keep your feet warm. Even if the rest of you is toasty, it's always a downer to have cold feet.
Old November 5, 2013, 05:12 AM   #5
40-82

When the temperature gets nasty, I break out my Arctic paratrooper boots. If the thermometer registers much above 20 degrees F. or I am moving they're too hot.
Old November 5, 2013, 05:32 AM   #6
TheNatureBoy

Having experienced this myself, about 4 years ago I invested close to $500 in cold weather gear. Smart move on my part. When it gets cold to the point that I'm uncomfortable, I'm not having fun/not focused on the task at hand.
Old November 5, 2013, 07:50 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Cold weather gear....

I like Thinsulate, Gore-tex & fleece.
Some good gear/clothing sites Id check include; www.cabelas.com www.llbean.com www.duluthtrading.com .

In my 20s, Id wear a milspec layer or silk thermals.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:41 AM   #8
wogpotter

I'm cheap, err frugal, so I go with the old MilSurp ECWS stuff.
Poly skintight longjohns & shirt next to the skin, bear suit over that & goretex parka/pants outer layer. Add a wool watch cap or balaclava & I'm GTG even down below freezing. Wool mitts under the MilSurp Mittens & I'm as insulated & ventilated as I can be.

I took a while to realize that even though I could stay out for a couple of days (we do a winter overnight) my feet were never warm, even with insulated boots & wool over silk socks. Then someone suggested those bug ugly "mickey-mouse boots" Get some they really do work!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 5, 2013, 02:11 PM   #9
jmr40

Some of the newer jackets insulated with Primaloft are excellent. They insulate much better than thinsulate. Not quite as good as top quality down, but pretty close, and are much better than the budget down clothing. They are a lot cheaper than quality down and work when wet FAR FAR better than down. Dry quickly if they do get wet. I don't own this jacket, just a photo and description I found, but have used one similar for the last 3-4 years. Warmest jacket I've ever used.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
Old November 5, 2013, 04:53 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

Thin cotton socks, heavy wool socks, Sorel boots lined with thinsulate, long johns, surplus wool pants, light shirt over wool top, then down vest, with Filson heavy wool coat, then wool Balaclava helmut, thin nylon gloves, wool fingerless gloves, and then mitts. That keeps me toasty and dry. Nylon poncho goes over all if heavy rain, but not often.
Old November 5, 2013, 05:23 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Post #5....

When I was in USFK(US Forces Korea), a million beers ago, , we were issued big clumpy "Mickey Mouse" boots.
I never wore mine, I was stationed in a southern part of South Korea(kinda like the Miami of South Korea).

To my knowledge, the US armed forces no longer use the extreme cold weather combat boots.
Some reserve or NG troops may still get them.
Old November 5, 2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Chad.C

Sounds like i will have to hit up my local surplus store before the snow comes I'm gonna have to take a look at those boots you mentioned, thanks for the help
Old November 5, 2013, 07:42 PM   #13
sigcurious

I am assuming these are the boots everyone has mentioned. I know them as bunny boots. But you deserve to know what level of awful-ugly and clunky you're getting into with them

Boots!
Old November 5, 2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Chad.C

Wow those boots look.... Interesting by the way what is that hole on the side that says keep closed unless airborne
Old November 5, 2013, 10:07 PM   #15
sigcurious

air valve, part of the insulation is provided by air between two layers.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:29 AM   #16
wogpotter

Mine must be an older version there is no air valve.
Yes they are bulky, but you will be warmer than with anything else I've tried.

Old November 6, 2013, 02:51 PM   #17
john843

Bunny boots

Nothing a little Woodlands camo paint won't fix.
Old November 6, 2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Chad.C

Any bulkier the the logger boots I hunt with now lol
Old November 6, 2013, 03:01 PM   #19
Chad.C

John that's true I like how you think
Old November 6, 2013, 05:07 PM   #20
wogpotter

The biggest trick to them is the felt under sole. My regular insulated boots have no bottom insulation, so the iced ground just chills down the sole & that sucks heat out of the soles of the feet making you "feel cold" even though its just the bottoms.
Because of this felt layer they feel "odd" to say the least at first. Its a bit like walking on a mattress to give an example.
Not as bad as snowshoes, but a bit worse then regular insulated hunting boots would be my best description. Trust me though you will welcome the oddness the day all your buddies quit because of frozen toebones & you just say "cold? where"?

Old November 6, 2013, 11:36 PM   #21
tirod

The point of insulation is to have a lot of trapped air that doesn't migrate out of your body. The Air Force Parka does it by insulating you neck and head in heavy mouton fur, in comparison the rest of the garment is less well insulated. It does combine with matching bib overalls.

The concept is to prevent losing heat out of the most vulnerable part of the body, the neck and head. Properly insulated, the neck and head will prevent letting your feet get cold because you won't act as a chimney piping out heat away from your feet.

So, good boots are nice, but if you are hunting with no neck gaiter or head covering, they will just be big bulky cold boots at the end of the day anyway. It's an old saying, if you want warm feet, cover your head.

And, if you can't keep your feet warm because you won't wear enough insulation over your head, then take a metal coffee can with some charcoal briquettes with you. The can needs holes around the bottom to allow air to get in, light one or two briquettes when you start getting cold and place the can underneath you where you are sitting. If the wind isn't too bad, or you can shield the windward side, the heat will keep you warm.

It's not always about clothing, in some cases you simply can't wear enough.
Old November 7, 2013, 08:20 AM   #22
wogpotter

Quote:
So, good boots are nice, but if you are hunting with no neck gaiter or head covering, they will just be big bulky cold boots at the end of the day anyway. It's an old saying, if you want warm feet, cover your head.
Agreed we discussed that earlier with the wool under a parka hood. There was some further discussion on boots though.

Old November 7, 2013, 09:01 AM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What I wear to my stand. (Lined) blue jeans from LLBean. Cotton sox. Uninsulated gum rubber boots from LLBean. A Browning goose down filled 3pc hunting coat. {but I usually just wear the inner coat all by itself (of the 3 pcs.) Its the warmest piece and has the Goose down for it's insulation. Far less cumbersome than having all three pieces on. Cheap cotton gloves. (Nooo) long johns. Just a med weight long sleeve outer cotton shirt and T shirt under it. As for my hat I wear a Stormy Black Kromer. Where I hunt some mornings could be minus 15-20 degree's [below zero.] thus the need for a good warm skull covering. Tip: One just has to dress appropriately fellows.

Oh by the way my stand. I drive up to it via ATV in the dark of morning after a short period take my coat and hat off and get comfortable. Pour a cup of coffee and get out the old head phone and settle in for a long morning of watching and waiting and wondering if its me or him (son) who's turn it is to make breakfast at 10 AM sharp.
Old November 9, 2013, 12:18 AM   #24
tirod

Yes, there was a passing reference twice to a wool balaclava. Most of the discussion has been anything but an examination of why that is the most effective thing to do.

I was on a training weekend at a nearby military facility a long time ago, we were doing tactical drills when the wind came up and a downpour caught us outdoors. It had been low 60's and sunny, in about 30 minutes it was upper 40's and we were soaked. Our cadre advisor had us don our M17 masks just as the rain hit.

We were warm as toast, no hypothermia at all. We were rebreathing our warmth, and it kept us that way.

Once lined up for the administrative bus ride back to our barracks, we put the masks away, and immediately started getting cold. By the time we hit formation at the barracks, dozens of us were shivering - all while the command structure fumbled around with some decision to make, leaving us out in a 25 mph wind soaking wet.

You can wear a lot of insulation and still lose enough heat to endanger your survival. It won't do any good to have super boots, heavy socks, or artic fleece underwear woven from unobtanium if you keep losing heat from the head and neck. That's why the Air Force parka is made the way it is - lots of insulation around the head and neck. The body of the coat, normal winter level. Nothing to write home about.

Of course, most military garments are designed for active wear, not sedentary. That's ok, you can wear them out to the stand without overheating, then button up when you stop moving. But stay relatively motionless for long periods of time, and you will need more. The ski mask with eyeholes is then an welcome asset, knit or fleece, and after that, another layer over it to capture your heat so that you can prevent breathing cold air.

Do that and you will be more mobile, wearing lighter boots, and staying just as warm. Or, you can wear large heavy boots that are effectively just the same as adding five pounds on your back for every extra pound they weigh. In rough terrain that's a lot of leg lifts when just a few ounces of face mask would prevent it.

Mentioning "wool balaclava" doesn't even scratch the surface. If dressing outdoors starts with heavy boots, just maybe someone has their focus upside down.
Old November 30, 2013, 11:56 PM   #25
The grinch

Under armour cold gear compression is the best for staying warm and dry. I do a lot of winter backpacking and you cannot beat their products. Their socks are also superior to anything on market. It can be pricey though.make sure it is cold gear and not heat gear. I have found that Marshall's or tj maxx will occasionally have UA for less than most other retailers. Stay warm and take care