The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2010, 09:01 AM   #26
MLeake

Legionnaire...

... if I had to guess, you've been through a military cold-weather survival course. Your list of items and things to do sounds very, very familiar.
Old October 29, 2010, 12:27 PM   #27
Dannyl

Beware of holding a rifle in a lightning storm!

Hi All,
Last week a hunter (not far from Pretoria - South Africa) ended up in ICU (only a miracle that he survived) after his rifle was struck by lightning.

Bad weather is one thing, but be carefull in a lightning storm.

Brgds,

Danny
Old November 1, 2010, 07:00 PM   #28
Legionnaire

MLeake, I'm flattered, but no. I've been a year-round hiker and camper and worked with a close friend who was an Eagle Scout to train our kids in outdoor survival skills. Taught 'em all how to build fires in snow-covered woods, build temporary shelters, and spend a night out with a sleeping bag and a plastic sheet. Good fun. I was also a NYS DEC-certified hunter safety instructor, and tried to impress on the youngsters in my classes the importance of being prepared when out in inclimate weather. Always told the kids that if they get lost, better to stay put and put your energy into surviving the first night warm and well. Like as not somebody will find you next day. So to practice what I preach, I try not to go into the woods on a hunt without bringing along what I'd need to survive a night warm and dry.
Old November 2, 2010, 12:15 AM   #29
MLeake

Legionnaire...

First, congratulations on working with kids, and showing them there' more to life than the net, tweets, and XBox.

Second, kudos for leading by example.

Last, having been involved with a few SAR operations (between Civil Air Patrol as a kid, and later as a Navy pilot) - searchers always prefer when the people they are trying to find, make a good shelter, and stay put.
Old November 2, 2010, 01:53 AM   #30
huntinaz

Deer or elk season I'm hunting, rain or shine. Bird or predator hunting if it's nasty of too hot I'll take the day off. Here in AZ we have a lottery for deer and elk and we get one week to hunt. A rainstorm ain't keeping me from hunting those days!